1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Is there a perceivable difference?

Or, is this going to be more like the age-old debates on "top-load vs. thru-body" or "rosewood vs. maple" with some people saying yes and others saying no?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I see it’s benefits in giving a non-tapered B string a better break angle/witness point so you can intonate more easily. Being convertible it seems to open it up to more string options. It would be interesting to get Yamaha’s take on it as they usually have sound engineering logic behind their designs. Personally I am unclear on the sonic differences of the bridge but I’m a string and pickup changes tone more dramatically type of guy.

3. Strings can also be set to the tail end of the bridge, which comes equipped with a convertible saddle that can be adjusted to 2 different angles for more precise tonal shaping and feel. The rounder side of the saddle gives a slightly duller sound, while the more angled area of the saddle produces a slightly tighter one. The 700 and Pro are equipped with the Vintage Plus Bridge, designed with a diagonal cut at the string’s contact point on the saddle to form a more stable fulcrum and produce a clear, well-shaped sound.

4. Thanks for the pictures! That answers exactly what I was wondering.

People talk about "setting the witness point" a lot and I've always wondered about the round fender style saddles vs sharp edged saddles (like on a BadAss bridge) and how you want a clearly defined break angle (when making a bone nut or a bridge saddle for acoustic guitar you always give a defined edge and wouldn't want it round). In years past I have even filed/ground down fender saddles to give them a more clearly defined break angle (very similar to what Yamaha did here).

Pbassmanca, javi_bassist and whamni like this.
  5. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Hi, for those that have a BBP35, how is the weight? Are we under 10lbs. or in the ballpark? Looking for a lighter weight 5er than my 14lb. Spector...looked at a few of the Indonesian ones, but I don't think they're for me...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Of the 3on sweetwater, 2 are 9lb 13oz, and 1is 10lbs

Pbassmanca and BEADG63 like this.
  7. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks for that HC...just to give you an update, I put the first coat of finish on the 1200s this evening. You could almost hear the pores sucking it in...LOL. Hoping it turns out OK. I promise to post pics when it is complete. So little time....:cautious:

Brae Ems and hypercarrots like this.
  8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Finally found one!
    45049753_2457266454290627_3123173039374598144_n.

9. WooHoo! And you got the green fur lined case too!

I love mine, it's just a killer bass! How much does yours weigh? Mine was pretty heavy and I reduced the weight quite a bit with lighter tuners and by removing the brass block under the bridge.

10. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Having some frets install by my friend Justin Kennedy. Really can't wait to start playing it out. Yeah the case is SUPER nice! Maybe a little nicer than my Fodera case :oops:

Looks like it was made in 1979. Very cool!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Pbassmanca, Brae Ems and AndyPanda like this.
  11. sorry i havent been on here lately been practicing alot trying to make a song just need to finalize the riffs.:bassist: BR170Y is nice, fender P-bass doin excellent. and i have my eyes on a new BB700 hopin to get it for christmas... still need a job.:D

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. It looks like a natural finish.

Pbassmanca and Brae Ems like this.
  13. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    It's the burst finish

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Aw I guessed and I failed

Pbassmanca and Brae Ems like this.
  15. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Sux that they done carry the bbp34. I'd be willing to try one but I don't want a 9-9.5lb four banger.

And not sure who else lists weights.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    Thinking of changing the strings on my BB734 to Flats, anyone out there done this yet, if so, what make and gauge ?

Brae Ems and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Hey buddy what's goin' on? I hope you get that BB700 for Christmas! My parents got me a sweet Yamaha 5 string for my birthday back when I was 17 and I played the crap out of that bass. Actually I sold it to my friend about 12 years ago and he still has it. I gave it a setup for him a while back and realized that it still is a great sounding bass! Anyways, hope you find a job, there's always work around somewhere for a young dude who's willing to work hard! We'd consider hiring you on, but the commute would be a killer.......:D

Brae Ems likes this.
  18. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I keep debating back and forth whether to put some flats on my BB424X. I'm using it pretty frequently right now on gigs and it sounds great with Roto stainless steels but with the ceramic neck pickup, the sound is more aggressive than I am looking for in a funk/soul band. I have a nice set of GHS Precision flats in the drawer that would probably be a good fit and a lot of guys on Talkbass (@michael_t ,@Linnin :smug:) swear by them. I've listened to sound clips on YouTube, and they do sound pretty sweet. Lots of rich, thumpy, old school tones in there. The other option I'm considering, which is more work, is to try and swap out the neck pickup on the BB to something with alnico 5 magnets, like the Aguilar AG 4P - 60 ; One of which I have hanging around with that set of strings. Might try the flats first and then the pickup later if I'm still not happy.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  19. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    YMMV, but I have great success taming my BB425 by dialing the tone back to about 6.5 for more a vintagey sound. That’s for a live mix—for recording, flats might be the way to go.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. thanks brother and yeah my dad may get me a massive bass amp instead. its a tricky decision. but i really need a good bass amp, atm im using a guitar one and it sound bad, like really bad. but im willing to work my arse to the bone.

Pbassmanca likes this.