1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Oh man....yeah..you need a bass amp for sure. A massive bass amp is always a good thing! Basses are cheaper than amps in general, so I reckon that's a good choice on all your parts!

Brae Ems likes this.
  2. the bass is an 100W multi optional bass amp for $275 aus while the bass is $2,700 aus

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Finally got a shot of the new Yammie at last night's gig - i.e., it's "natural habitat".;) 45401818_249712915900681_5439776552277508096_nedited.

4. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    I just noticed on my BB734 in passive mode, the treble only works up to when it clicks at the detent and in active mod, it works all the way !
    Have I got a problem or is your bass the same ?

5. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I'll check mine tonight.

Brae Ems likes this.
  6. That's exactly how it's designed. In passive mode, the center detent is 100% tone, which is flat in active.

Read this review: Yamaha BB735A Bass Guitar | Bass Gear Magazine

7. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    Well, you learn something new every day lol Thanks for the info and that review, on what is, a brilliant bass.
    I must change the strings to flats lol :bassist:..............cheers

michael_t likes this.
  8. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I put DR legends on mine and it really kills now, the warmth of the flats and the push of the EQ is fantastic. I got rid of my T40 because of my 734A (and fixing my 4001 Ric)

9. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    Well I checked out what you said and in Active mode it works fine, but in passive it doesn't work as you say.
    Turning back from the centre detent anticlockwise, there is nothing noticeable until just before you stop, then there's a noticeable peak in volume and tone like the Q of that freq is narrow. If that's the way it's supposed to be, I don't like that one bit.

10. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    I have a 734 and after reading this I played around with the tone in passive mode and as Michael_T said it's a tone roll off from the centre decent anticlockwise. Mine is very linear with no volume loss. I'm guessing you have a bad pot.

11. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    Thanks for the info and help, yes I do think it's a bad pot ok the more I listen to it. I'll phone Yamaha tomorrow and see what they say, maybe they will send on a new pot rather than sending the bass back to them !
    One can only try lol

12. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    Had you any bother with the 4th string fitting the nut slot as the DR is thicker ?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    Keep us posted on how you make out .Good luck

14. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Nope, fit right through, that and I think the elixirs that the guy had on them were thinner gauge so these worked just fine

15. CiaranQ

CiaranQ

Jan 23, 2018
    Not sure how Yamaha is where you are, but unless you have a Yamaha service centre near you, you may have to send it back. I needed a new bridge, and they were iffy on a qualified Luthier doing the job for them and certifying it. It had to go back, and it was a pain in the butt.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. Must be something new. I ran the repair shop for a large music store back in the late 80's and we were a Yamaha dealer (but not some special Yamaha service center). Yamaha was great about sending me any parts (and paying for my time) on any warranty issue. I never had to go to any specific Yamaha training or certification, I just had to fill out paperwork on the warranty repair in order to get reimbursed - and send back the defective parts.

But, yeah, they're not going to cover a warranty taken to some independent luthier, gotta be a Yamaha dealer.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    A heads up on contacting Yamaha on repairing my bass.
    I phoned Yamaha UK and the bottom line is, I would have to send my bass back to their UK service centre for repair, and that's miles away, not an option if you're using the bass for gigs. I could of course replace the pot myself, but then my warranty is out the window, but it looks like that's the road I'll have to go.
    I discovered that there is only one service centre covering all of the UK and Ireland, could that be why Yamaha are not popular.

javi_bassist likes this.
  18. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Final coat of finish going on the BB1200s tonight. Once it's buffed out, I'll post some pics before I start reassembly. Finally coming down to the finished product...can't wait!

Yammybass likes this.
  19. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    What a pain in the butt. Hopefully the pot is not some weird configuration and its easily accessible. I haven't taken my rear plate off and taken a look. Good luck with the repair.

20. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    100_0871.JPG 100_0872.JPG 100_0873.JPG 100_0874.JPG 100_0875.JPG As promised, here are the pics of the BB1200s after stain and finish applied. This is before before buffing it out; just wanted to get some pics up because it's been awhile ;) Anyhow, I'm pleased with the stain after the finish was applied...I did NOT like it before. It was WAYYY too purple for my taste. I does have a bit of a purple tinge to it, but overall I like it. This was my first refin job. Was a ton more work than I ever expected. Not perfect by any means, but once I get all the parts back on there and plug 'er in, I'm hoping it's an enjoyable instrument to play. The headstock logo was done by Rothko and Frost in the UK. It was very expensive, but I cannot even see the outline of the backing. Very thin and difficult to work with, but I'm happy with the results. On to the pics:
    100_0871.JPG 100_0871.JPG 100_0872.JPG 100_0873.JPG 100_0874.JPG 100_0875.JPG
    By the way, the before pics can be found all the way back on page #89!
    There are also pics after stripping all the old finish and stain off on page #141!
    And 2 pics of the stained body (first trial coat) on page #144!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 8:29 PM
    Whippet, whamni and javi_bassist like this.