1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hammock

Hammock

May 9, 2017
    Stockholm
    Hello fellow BB lovers,

My BB collection is quite modest. I have a 1984 BB3000s natural finish, red BB414 and a black 614. The two lasts I got for almost nothing. I love the 3000 of course, but I also have a lot of love for the 414. Truly amazing that a cheap bass like that can be so good. That’s cool. I am very much a stock kind of guy, when it come to my basses, but in this case I might make an exception since it’s a very cheap bass and all.
    I am thinking about changing the onboard preamp on the 614.
    Now to the questions.
    1. Is it the same pick-ups in the 414 and the 614, or is it an active kind on the 614?

2. Can I just switch the old preamp to a sadowsky, keeping the original pups?

3. Any thought on how that would sound?

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. funkydario

funkydario Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Lyon/France
    I thought the BB3000X was the Bolt on version of the BB3000 and yes the 1100S has pole pieces on the J bridge

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Scophile

Scophile Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Chino Hills California
    I have a few BB's that I have to part with, my BB2000 fretless being the first to go. And it is gorgeous, but not stock. I replaced the bridge pick-up with a Seymour Duncan Jazz pick-up and changed the knob configuration 20 years ago to VOL VOL TONE. I'm the second owner and it is just not getting the love it used to. Haven't gigged with it in at least 10 years. Comes with original case. I do have the original blade pick-up.
    I also have a cool BB-1200 that I found in rough and tough condition in a pawn shop and nursed it back to health with some Schaller hardware and added a Seymour Duncan bridge pick up and also changed the knob configuration to VOL VOL TONE.
    I have know idea what the asking price for the BB 2000 should be. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    -Scott IMG_5575. IMG_4776. IMG_4779. IMG_5576. IMG_4762. IMG_4770.

Yammybass and woodyng2 like this.
  4. Matt23

Matt23

May 26, 2016
    England
    Would be interested to know the BBP tuners weigh, Yamaha list them as light weight. My last bass was a Sadowsky, which had Ultralites, they were really nice. But the BBP tuners are easily as stable.

5. Anyone here ever compare a Nordstrand Big Blade against the Yamaha style with the thick blade?

6. We all know how a vintage collector item can lose it's value if you refinish or otherwise alter the vintage nature. But these old BB basses haven't really shown any of that sort of vintage collector value (at least not yet). Just wondering what you guys think about whether this is a good move or have I taken away some of it's vintage vibe? Do you think the green brass was adding some great tone quality? :woot:

TarnishedBrass. PolishedBrass.

Nunovsky, garp, hypercarrots and 2 others like this.
  7. Hammock

Hammock

May 9, 2017
    Stockholm
    What did you do to make it shine like that?

I think it’s fine to keep your instrument in good shape, as long as you don’t repaint it, sort of. Polishing must be ok, right?

What do you think about refretting a BB from the 80’s, loosing value or adding value? I meen after new frets you might be able to play it again. Just curious.

8. I started with 320 wet/dry and worked my way up to 1000 wet/dry and then moved to a set of micromesh polishing pads that go up to 12000 grit. If the green hadn't pitted in so deep I would have started with the micromesh pads but these took a fair bit of work at 320 to get the pitting out.

hypercarrots likes this.
  9. Hammock

Hammock

May 9, 2017
    Stockholm
    Thanks! I have the same deal on my BB3000s Natural. Maybe not as much pittings thou.

10. CiaranQ

CiaranQ

Jan 23, 2018
    Australia
    The funk is in the gunk man, cmaaaaaahn.

11. hey guys, guess who made it to year 12? getting better at the bass, just learned come together by the Beatles yesterday, took my 5 minutes aha

whamni likes this.
  12. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Saratoga Springs NY
    8FE42968-B6AF-4720-969D-7B97353602ED. Ok, I’ve had my BBP34 for a few days now and I have to say, amazing. Everything just feels right and it sounds great. So glad I got this bass.

13. Coolbridge

Coolbridge

Feb 6, 2019
    Hey, great looking basses. In fact, I'm really thinking about getting a BBP34 as well. Would be really thankful, if you could elaborate a bit your thoughts about and experience with that bass!

14. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Saratoga Springs NY
    First off, fit and finish is perfect. The bass is well balanced and not to heavy. Not sure of exact weight. Sorry. Neck is smooth and fast. Feels so easy to play. The tone to my ears is deep but with some bite. Overall just a great bass andone of the best I’ve ever owned or played. You will not be disappointed.

15. For BBNE 2 owners!

After several years of owning this beautiful instrument I noticed one weird thing. It has inverted polarity in its signal. Resulting in tone that is not so focused in mix because it is off phase with kick drum and other instruments. I've found that I like it much better when it is in phase, and that the it's preamp is the place where polarity inversion occurs. While I wait for Yamaha response, could you check how yours BBNE2 behave? Maybe post screenshots of recorded sound with zoomed wave form. Mine is attached.

THANKS!

Attached Files:

16. You must have super powers if your timing is so precisely locked in with the kick that phase is a problem. :woot:

There is no standard for phase between brands of pickups or instruments. The only thing that matters is when you have two (or more) pickups on the same instrument and what their phase relationship is with each other. Fender, Yamaha, Gibson, Seymour Duncan, Norsdstrand, Joe Barden, etc. etc. different phase because there is no standard. If you put two Seymour Duncan pickups on an instrument they will both follow SD's standard for phase but if you mix two brands of pickup on an instrument you need to test for phase and reverse the wiring, if needed, on one of them to get the two pickups in phase with each other. But there is no need to check your phase between your pickups and the kick drum :)

JesseMalaska and Zoobiedood like this.
  17. Coolbridge

Coolbridge

Feb 6, 2019
    Thanks for sharing! Did you get a chance to try it out live or in band practive - does it cut well through the mix? I'm looking to get some motown inspired sounds out of my future bass (i'll use labella flats). do you think, the bbp will get me in the ball park of that?

Cracker7 likes this.
  18. I did not check my phase with the kick, I checked it with my 8 other basses. Active and passive... And that includes NS Design el. upright. Also I noticed consistently better and focused low end when the signal is flipped correctly. Imagine a speaker which has to reproduce kick drum and slap bass which has flipped polarity, open E string (cca 41 hz fundamental harmonic) Both signals have strong transients. So speaker movement going from 0 to +90° (pushing the air forward) for kick drum, and going from 0 to -90° (pulling the air inward) for slap bass, at the same time... (believe me after 20 years of training to do so, you start to be pretty much accurate), what you get is neutralized energy. Lack of punch in very low register. For low end this is crucial thing, for mid and highs it can be musical choice, because wavelengths are much shorter. Btw BBNE pickups have correct polarity when connected directly to output, as on any other bass I have. Reversing is happening in the preamp. Now I want to determine whether the preamp is faulty or this is intended.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Yes ... different brand basses (with different brand pickups) will be out of phase with some other brand basses because there is no standard for phase on bass or guitar pickups. I have compared Yamaha, EMG, SD, Fender, Joe Barden, Gibson etc. And there is no standard right or wrong phase among pickup manufactures. When I first noticed it, I thought it was goofy too --- but unless you are trying to sync two identical bass tracks together played on two different brand basses (why would you do that?) it just isn't an issue and you simply switch the phase on one of the two tracks so they match.

If it sounds unfocused to you when going thru the preamp - it may just be the nature of that preamp that you don't like rather than the phase. I'm just saying that there is no such thing as "correct polarity" when it comes to pickups because there is no industry standard. Even JBL speakers are reverse phase from nearly every other brand of speaker manufacturer - that doesn't make JBL incorrect - it's just the way JBL decided to do it. It only matters if you decide to pair your JBL speakers with some other brand of speaker then you have to wire one reverse into order to get them lined up in phase.

You could add one more unity gain op amp stage to the Yamaha preamp and that would invert the phase back to match what the pickups are putting out. I doubt Yamaha would view this as a problem with their preamp as there is no agreed upon standard about which direction the wave form should start moving when a note is played. It's just luck of the draw that every other instrument you compared against happens to have been designed to move the same direction except for the Yamaha.

Pbassmanca and JesseMalaska like this.
  20. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Hello fellow Yamaha BB club members! I may have asked this question before, but has anybody on this thread ever switched out the neck pickups from a BB424X with another type of split coil pickup, and if so, were you able to fit a standard size split coil pickup under the stock cover on the Yammy?