1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. I've only done it on BB300 and BB400 and a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 fits right in the Yamaha covers. You should take yours off and see if the pickup innards can easily come out of the covers and measure them. :)

What pickup are you leaning towards as a replacement?

2. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Saratoga Springs NY
    I’ve had a couple of band practices with it. Sounds great and definitely cuts. Right now I’m playing a Genzler head through two Mesa subway cabs. So good. With the flats I don’t see why you couldn’t get the tone you’re looking for. Good luck. It’s an awesome bass.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. Bassophile, I dont mean in any negative way but your sayings about phase/speaker behavior and everything are just plain wrong... I understand what you are trying to say but its just not how things work.

I tried to think what could be the problem and maybe you just understand the preamp wrong? Maybe its the middle-cut thing that messes it up. That really can make your bass sound bad in my opinion. Does it sound ok when you have that switch down?

Attached Files:

4. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    He is correct but maybe not being clear about application. In a live setting the chance that the null is heard is pretty slim but when listening back from a single source, mono, or closed headphones that keep your ears from hearing the other channel/source you hear the null.

For any example, listen to speech which is typically mixed to the centre, reverse the polarity on one channel and add it to the other, mute the reversed channel and what you get is no sound out of the summed channel because it is nulled. Which is good for balanced signals canceling noise but not signal transmission.

Back to his example, if there is energy at X frequency in both the positive and negative polarity they null each other. When the polarity is shared they sum. Hence why a lot of production equipment has polarity switches. Or more similar to our use, subwoofers have polarity switches to not be out of phase with the full range speakers.

5. Coolbridge

Coolbridge

Feb 6, 2019
    Thanks again! I think i made the decision :)

Also helping btw is this really well recorded video featuring the BBP35 ...the music is focused on the drummer but in a trio setting there's enough for the bass to shine. Fortunately for a neo-soul sound is what I'm after, too ...and I like what I'm hearing!

It's quite astonishing how hard it is finding a lot of info on the interwebs about this bass. There's that premierguitar review, but I'm never sure how trustworthy those are ..even this video I found by coincidence, because in the description it doesn't say it's a BBP35 ...

Rickter, Cracker7 and Yammybass like this.
  6. Rickter

Rickter Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    During today's outing I had some time after dropping the wife off and stopped by the local Sam Ash. Lo and Behold, a new BB434 in Tobacco Burst! Had not seen one of the new BBs in stores yet, and this opportunity would not be wasted. Plugged it in to an Aguilar AG700/410SL and let 'er rip. Wow. I'm just floored at how much bass that is for the money. Now I know I'm gonna have to get one. I had been planning to get a new BB as a backup to my American Fender P5. After playing that BB today, I'm honestly not sure which one would end up being the back up....

Cracker7 likes this.
  7. Too bad they didn't have the 435 in so you could see just how great the neck is. I know width and profile preferences are subjective, but damn, this lineup of BBs has such a great feel.

I'm just biding my time until I can afford one - and I know it'll supplant my Fender Reggie Hamilton PJ as my #1.

Rickter likes this.
  8. Not getting it negative in any way but would like to hear why you think so. Could you just explain why am I plain wrong and how those stuff work?
    I am NOT saying that signals will cancel each other completely, just saying that very low end register will sound more out of focus and dispersed, when compared with proper phase. At the end please use your ears. Sometimes phase inversion can be better solution, for some systems, venues, mixes etc...
    It is not the mid switch thing. Phase remain inverted whatever changes I do on preamp. And I use it all at noon and mid switch in off position, 100% of the time.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. JulienP.

JulienP.

Jan 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    View attachment 3318432 Hi,
    I'm seeing a lot of you are using rings/frames for the pickups.
    Do you know where I can find them?
    Thanks again!

[​IMG]

10. I've bought a few used basses that have had pickups replaced with Fender style and they have fabricated pickup rings from pick guard material. It hasn't looked very good to me and they've used screws to mount the rings so now there are ugly screw holes in the body when I take those rings off.

So if it were me, I would go with single ply black pick guard material and use double stick tape to hold them on (no screw holes) in case you don't like the look. Or you can buy thin brass sheets if you like the polished brass look better than black pick guard. The original Yamaha brass rings are very thick and heavy and would be expensive/difficult to try and make - but you can buy thinner brass sheets and cut them out with a pair of scissors and x-acto knife and files/sandpaper etc.

Are those Geezer pickups? I bet they sound great.

JulienP. likes this.
  11. Just to show you an example of how it can look (bad in my opinion) with the pickup rings. Here is a BB1200 that I bought where someone had black-white-black pick guard material cut for fender style P-J pickups. See how large and ugly the J pickup ring looks? It sounds great and all but I just couldn't stand the look of that J pickup ring. The P pickup ring is OK and fits the same screwholes the stock Yamaha ring used. But the J pickup ring is way too large and spoils the looks. So if I were doing it (and if it didn't already have ugly screw holes drilled into it) I wouldn't make the ring so wide around the four screw posts of the J pickup. I'd fill in the gap with something first (so the pickup ring doesn't have to be strong) and cut the ring as narrow as possible around the J.

BB1200.

JulienP. likes this.
  12. JulienP. and funkydario like this.
  13. funkydario

funkydario Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Lyon/France
    Need infos about yamaha BBs basses...just ask Andy !!!:bassist::bassist::bassist:

JulienP. and AndyPanda like this.
  14. Coolbridge

Coolbridge

Feb 6, 2019
    I'm glad I made the decision to get the BBP34 ...if everything works out fine I'll have a great bass for decades to come, with no need for another 4-string ...if only I didn't find the BB3000 so sexy (damn you, bb club for turning me on to this!)

Anyway, I got to thinking about two things:
    - do you know of any pick-up model that tries to emulate that smooth and full BB3000 p-sound? (not that i'm planning to change anything about the incoming BBP34, just wondering)

- if people rave so much about those old BB models from the 80s, then why do you think yamaha hasn't gone the "vintage reissue" route like fender/gibson and others. seems like an easy way to diversify the portfolio and satisfy the ppl who like those classic instruments

15. JulienP.

JulienP.

Jan 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    @AndyPanda Thanks a lot for such detailed answer, it helps me a LOT. It's also true the rings change the look of the bass.
    I will definitely follow your advises!

Yes they are EMG Geezers. I only use the neck P now. So I'm planning to buy a Fender soon, maybe the American Original 50 or 63 model.
    I’m playin a lot of Soundgarden songs, but loves also Sean Hurley tone…looking for a fuller tone.

I'm using an Ampeg P-50T DI and it sounds really good for recording with the BB1100S/Geezers. There is absolutely zero hum/noise.
    Geezers are very different from original Yamaha pickups. I was shocked after changing the pickups. Sometimes I’m still lacking a bit of “brightness” or “open-ness” from the originals pickups. It feels sometimes a bit darker tone at times. I think it’s an improvement. Very mid-focus. Never tried other pickups however.
    For now I’m using GHS Boomers, but I’m thinking to switch to flat maybe..

Also, last Saturday, I went to a guitar shop to buy a key to adjust the neck, they say you need to drill in, in the truss rod, i was like what???. I think they do not know how old truss rod looks like. They expect to see a hole, like new guitars I guess (Allen key). They thought my truss rod was broken…

Do I need a 8mm key? 5/16'' like Gibson?

Capture.PNG

16. JulienP.

JulienP.

Jan 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    @funkydario
    OMG yes! :)

17. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    JulienP. likes this.
  18. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    from a distance that reminds me of the huge jazz bridge pickup of the BBVII and BB1000S
    06-326043604_l.
    1306415616-IMG_8670.

JulienP. and Yammybass like this.
  19. I have a couple of BB basses that use an allen type wrench but most of them use one just like the picture you posted of the Gibson type. Just look and see if you have a nut or an allen head on your bass. Also ... some of my bolt neck basses require that I remove the little metal trim piece before the wrench will fit in (if yours even has that piece) but most of them will let me fit the wrench in with the trim piece in place. (hope that makes sense).

JulienP. likes this.
  20. JulienP.

JulienP.

Jan 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    Thanks again, i will order the wrench right away :)