1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. I just got this BB605 with an Aguilar preamp fitted. It's very aggressive and I'm not so struck on the frequencies, so I've ordered an Audere Classic preamp which to my mind is more friendly and has better frequencies. I've also replaced all gold with black... Gotoh tuners, Hipshot Kickass bridge, even the neck plate. Some black Dunlop straplocks and a set of TI Jazz Flats round it out. Will post some updated pics once the Audere is in place. BB605.

2. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Endorsed by: ASHDOWN / LE FAY basses
    Just found this on fb.... looks killer !!!!
    (from a German Band..)

69888219_2288296354552236_2510354628701323264_o.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Pbassmanca, Rickter and Nunovsky like this.
  3. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Correction: Looks like a killer... :D

But seriously folks, the bass looks great!

4. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

That's a gorgeous bass! Always thought that the extended scale on the B string was kind of cool...

5. The scale isn't extended at all on the B - only the range of adjustment for the B string intonation is greater. Still a 34" scale B - sometimes you have to bring the B string saddle back farther than certain bridges allow for proper intonation - this simply solves that issue. And longer scale would require the B string portion frets to be positioned differently.

J

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Ah , interesting.....:laugh:

7. My BB605 in post #3821 now has the Audere preamp fitted. While on the job I did a little hand routing and installed a pair of Bartolini B-Axis hum cancelling pickups. Holy moly! The punch from these pickups is amazing. Along with a super low action, this bass is just phenemonal. Oh yeah, I took the neck off and it's date-stamped 30th January, 1991.

javi_bassist and Penphoe like this.
  8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm intrigued by the Yamaha BB2024....anyone know what the nut width is on the neck. I couldn't find any specs on this discontinued model. Hoping to get one in the near future.
    Thanks!

9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    40mm
    BB - Specs - Yamaha - Other European Countries

Jonny_Orange likes this.
  10. 59jazz

11. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    The BB2024/5 are incredible instruments but sadly, getting very difficult to find used.

Pretty sure the only option for one at the moment are the handful on E-Bay and most of those are the "X" series (has a pickguard).

59jazz and Nunovsky like this.
  12. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    They are very hard to find because there wasn't that many available in the market and they are so good that when you have one you'll hardly want to let go of it.

59jazz, javi_bassist and stingray69 like this.
  13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

I'm never letting go of mine. :bassist:

Although, if you keep your eyes peeled, they do occasionally pop up from time to time - that's how I found mine. Sheer luck.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    59jazz, javi_bassist and Nunovsky like this.
  14. 59jazz

Would the new BBP34 be in line with the 2024?

15. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Yep - but are also a lot of differences in looks and especially build (6 bolt miter construction) and pickup voicing (slightly brighter than previous series) than the previous BB2024/5 series.

Also, the newest line is supposed to be lighter than the previous series too - so there are lots of things going on that would make it difficult to say whether it's an apples-to-apples comparison without having a direct side-by-side sit down with both models. I know that some people are glad to see Yamaha going with more traditional sized pickups so that they can be more easily replaced with aftermarket choices if one is so inclined.

Rickter, 59jazz and emjazz like this.
  16. funkydario

funkydario Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Lyon/France
    I do love the sound of my lately gone BB1025... Yammy's PJ pups sounds great and cut trough the mix easily. Beautiful warm low mid growl. It would be an interesting enter in the pickups replacement business for Yamaha.. Kind of really liking Yammy basses recently ❤️❤️❤️

17. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

The Yamaha pickups on the previous BB series is all about that warm low mid growl for sure.

18. 59jazz

Any thoughts on the 2024X? I've been going through the youtube vids. The rear pup seems to have the "BITE" I favor.

19. Anyone here had changed the pickups and the preamp from the BB 734a?
    Any chance of advices about brand/model to change the original pickups?

20. 59jazz

Is it possible to find a BBP34 under 9lbs????? I'm communicating with a seller who claims that her's is 8.6lbs.