1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. I was just asking, because I though the Yamaha symbol was a standard feature on the BB1000-MA headstock:

big_29467445_0_500-375.jpg

That would make the bigger logo on your first one a sticker? On top of the one displayed here?

2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yours will have a tighter, more midrange-focused low end, and an open, more airy top end. A normal P gives a bassier, more-open low end, with tighter and more focused top end.

Chickenwheels likes this.
  3. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Endorsed by: ASHDOWN / LE FAY basses
    That's how it is. I think I put it there to make it look a bit more like the current bigger logo :)

Nekomata likes this.
  4. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    True. Other BBs that I owned (414/424/1024/1600/3000) did have "more" bass. A thing that I loved for a few days and then I always switched back to the "reversed" bass. But this is just a matter of personal taste!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I usually like the reversed one more, too, but my BBP35 sounds nasty as-is, so I'm not complaining!

6. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    I could not decide between 4 and 5 string for years..but I chose the 4string .. so the best Yamaha 5 string can not bring me of from my bass :)

7. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Awesome! Really should be a NBD thread...

Nekomata likes this.
  8. YouTube some clips is a good way to hear the difference. The reversed P with J sounds a little smoother to me, especially with a pick or slap. It still growls and barks but has less “doink” in the tops. More Jazz Bass like. Conversely, the BB3000/5000 have a very distinctive character in the top end that is noticeable on heaps of recordings from the 80s. Not bad, just different.

gigetto likes this.
  9. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Quick and dirty Yamaha BB1000MA dry signal, played over a Hartke HD25 mini combo and recorded via my mobilephone on the floor in front of the amp. So no high quality sound, but you can get my idea of "dry" and "bony". I like it because you can shape the sound very good using preamps etc without getting too boomy..

10. Actually, @songwriter21 put it much better. Brilliant, succinct description.

Deep and songwriter21 like this.
  11. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Quick & dirty II:
    Yamaha BB1000MA through an old Zoom B2.1.U . 'Though the sound had much more bass, I'm afraid you won't be able to hear it due to the mobile phone recording.
    BB1000MA / Zoom / Hartke HD25, Fingerstyle

javi_bassist likes this.
  12. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Both sound great. How did you have the pickups and tone set on those recordings?

13. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Both pickups selected and the tone about 3/4 open. Just turned it down a bit so that the highs are not snappy anymore.

14. FFFH242

FFFH242

Apr 7, 2020
    West Virginia
    Got to play a 734 at Sweetwater today. First Yamaha BB I have ever played. LOVE the neck!! Does the 434 have the same neck? A BB is in my future as soon as stores get them back in stock.

15. Judging from the specs, they should be very similar (wood, dimensions, finish): Yahama BB series specs.

FFFH242 likes this.
  16. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Dimensions and wood are possibly the same,- in my opinion the two necks feel different though! But I have to edit that I always tried the maple version !

FFFH242 likes this.
  17. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Although you can't tell what bass a distorted bass is...this is the BB1000MA distorted :bassist:

18. aMQDwmt.jpg

So do I.

whamni, FFFH242, Deep and 2 others like this.
  19. Like the sound, and your playing is terrific!

20. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Found this today in the morning.. 83683189_3678736075475974_3084751161355108566_o.jpg