1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hippopaulimus

Hippopaulimus

Sep 18, 2016
    Connecticut
    Nice!
    And good choice of song too.
    I always think of them jamming on the Midnight Special whenever I hear this song.

Midas likes this.
  2. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Endorsed by: ASHDOWN / LE FAY basses
    Well, it is not 100% the org. song :-D But it's fun playing it !

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  3. joostone

joostone

Oct 19, 2005
    I've been working on this for months. But it's all done now!
    I've talked about modding a BB into BB-Ray on this board before.

I've bought a BB-350 (which is an excellent player!! that neck!!) and modded it into a stingray.
    I used this preamp kit: Classic Bass Preamp - Preamp kit, 13,50 €
    This is a original stingray '77 clone 2EQ. And it sure sounds like a Stingray!

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  4. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Do you have a "before" picture?

5. joostone

joostone

Oct 19, 2005
    No, I didnt take many pictures of the proces.
    But it was a standard BB350 like this one:

[​IMG]

6. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    I was wondering about the original pickup config - not familiar with the 350. For some reason your pic didn't load for me but from a search it looks like it was a jazz bass pickup configuration. The pickguard hides the original cutouts well!

joostone likes this.
  7. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    I have to change PJ rev on my BB350F. Do you know the exact measures or spare parts replacement that doesn't cost more than the bass?

8. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hi everyone! I just recently got a BB734a in a trade, and it slays. It's the most comfortable, punchiest PJ style bass I've ever owned. I also have a BB604 that I absolutely love, which I picked up a few months ago for 320 bucks. Yamaha is unmatched IMO regarding what you get for the price. Anyway, pics or it didn't happen!

IMG_6560.jpg IMG_6561.jpg IMG_6562.jpg

9. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Awesome pair of basses!

Deep and bigsnack like this.
  10. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thanks!

The BB734a was a drop dead stunner right out of the box. I basically threw some new strings on, tweaked the intonation, and it was ready to rock.

The BB604 was a bit of a project. I bought the bass from Guitar Center, and the condition was listed as "Good". When I got it, it seemed like someone had thrown it down a flight of stairs multiple times. The neck felt like someone had taken a small knife and nicked nearly every inch of it. All of pots were loose and wiggling around freely, and the 2 way switch worked intermittently. Luckily after two rounds of cleaning, the fretboard was in good shape and the frets were as well. I sanded the neck down and applied 4 coats of Tru-Oil, and now it's completely smooth. I tightened up the electronics and replaced the 2 way switch as well. I wasn't sure how the bass was going to sound... I love the Youtube examples of the BB604's, but the stock pickups in that bass seem particularly sensitive to how worn the strings are. I got some new stainless steel strings on there, and the bass has a very punchy and piano-like tone to it. It's very unique, I don't know if I've ever heard a bass with single coils sound like the BB604 does.

Either way, I'm on the Yamaha train in a big way these days!

javi_bassist likes this.
  11. Cool. I have been playing the same BB (also in coffee sunburst; got it used at a very fair price) for a couple of weeks and love it to bits!

12. Rob Infinite

Rob Infinite

Aug 13, 2005
    Here’s my application. BBNE1, BB110S & BB5000 modified A.

Attached Files:

Verne Andru, garp and Nekomata like this.
  13. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    Here's my wine red BB415. TOTALLY impressed with the sonic size of the bridge pickup! It doesn't lose all the balls when soloed; it just changes character (or the vowel sound, if you will). Wanted a 5-string P bass without having to shell out $eriou$ buck$ for a Fender; found this. Absolutely satisfied. wine-red-yamaha-bb415-string-bass_360_a6e07941809e39b4b3ad511c105fb143.jpg

14. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Can you tell if that type of pickup has the same noise as a standard single coil J? I love the J sound of my BB434 but hate the noise, especially when recording.

15. fretlessman71

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    I will do some more research soon, but my experience is that it has been silent as the grave when soloed. So much so that I have posted elsewhere on TV asking how they managed to do it. Very happy with this instrument.

16. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Anyone with one of the new BB 234's answer a question? What's the measurements of the neck heel and nut widths?

17. fretlessman71

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    Here's a quick test of my BB415: P pickup, then both, then J pickup. You can hear me switch between pickups as well as turn the tone knob up and down each time (a little bit dusty).

Attached Files:

18. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
  19. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
  20. fretlessman71

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    You can extrapolate the heel thickness from the data... Without a calculator, I estimate the heel thickness to be about 66mm.