1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    YamahaBB1600TalkBass - 1.jpeg

Rare day yesterday with two new-to-me basses arriving, including this lovely Japanese-made 1985 BB1600. Despite excellent packaging, it arrived from Montreal with (thanks to Canada Post) the end of its hard shell completely perforated and bashed in by what appears to have been one fork of a forklift. Miraculously the bass was unharmed. Really enjoying this one. Incredibly firm individual notes and the E-string is especially delicious up and down its entire length. Very responsive and punchy. I don't know how much of this is associated with it being a bolt-on design, but me likes! :D:thumbsup::laugh:

zbigniew, Hnz, Fishheadjoe and 16 others like this.
  2. Lovely.

3. I have the same exact bass. Great instrument

4. FerrisB

FerrisB

Jun 6, 2018
    NBD here! BB435 in teal and now strung with La Bella Copper White tapewounds. I have been primarily playing a TRBX605 since starting bass two years ago, and while I really love the TRBX I had been wanting an all-passive jazz or PJ style bass for another option. (I should mention that I have also had experience with a BB434 and CIJ Fender Mustang previously - one gifted to a neighbor and one sold when I decided to stay with 5-string basses.) After looking around at music stores in my area, I am even more convinced that Yamaha nails it - especially at this price point - not only "bang for the buck" but in comparison to other brands I looked at even up to 3x the price.

I recently picked up an MXR M81 preamp, and although I like having the EQ options available when needed, I have been finding little need to make any big changes to the EQ with the BB435. Just a slight bump in the lower mids perhaps - but when playing at church this morning it sounded great with little to no EQ change other than to boost the signal a bit before sending to the PA. I think I may have done a very slight mid-cut (couple dBs) around 800hz due to what I was hearing in the room - otherwise flat EQ. Maybe this is normal? I don't have experience with many other basses to say for sure.

My preferred setting as of now is P pickup on full, J pickup blended in between 70-80%, tone rolled off slightly. Other EQ done on the preamp as needed. I really enjoy the the smooth warm tone the BB435 with the La Bella copper whites - and it still has punch and definition. Being a longtime trombonist my ears tend to favor this type of tonality. My favorite recorded bass tone (known well before starting myself) is probably Jimmy Johnson - especially his work with Flim and the BBs and and also with James Taylor.

I'm doing only fingerstyle at this point - working through a variety of bass methods and supplements. One of my favorite things to do after practicing books, scales, and etudes for a while is just to load up various playlists on Spotify and play along, figure out chord progressions, match style, etc. I think it is so liberating to get away from printed music and just play! I'm not in a band or anything - I play with our church worship team each week - but who knows what could happen later? Meanwhile I'll keep practicing! (I played trombone for 40+ years so I know a bit about practicing!)

Here is a pic and also my Yamaha siblings together!
    IMG_1855.jpg IMG_1861.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    N-Bass84, Hnz, Mili and 12 others like this.
  5. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Great looking pair! I'd love to see a comparison review between those two basses. I'm considering a trbx505 as my first 5 string sometime in the future, which is similar to your 605. I've had my BB434 for almost a year and I love it.

FFFH242, javi_bassist and Deep like this.
  6. Love the teal! When I got my 434, that's what I really wanted, but Sweetwater had a black demo and I had to get that discount.

javi_bassist likes this.
  7. FerrisB

FerrisB

Jun 6, 2018
    Not sure I can describe the tonal differences really well with my limited tone vocabulary - but they are both great in their own way! The TRBX605 has an alder body/maple top while the TRBX505 has a mahogany body - but haven't played this model myself other than a quick test in a music store. I've read that the active preamp is voiced differently on the two?

I really like having Yamaha's from both the BB and TRBX line! Another thing that appealed to me with both 5-string models was the very similar neck dimensions - string spacing, nut width, fretboard radius, etc. The neck profile is very similar also - except for 24 frets on the TRBX vs 21 on the BB makes for some slight differences up the neck. It's been very easy to move back and forth between the two.

8. After not specifically liking the Sound of the BB 424x P PuP played solo, I`ve decided to order the blade PU that is in the higher lines of BB basses (1024 and 2024 I guess). The stock PU in my opinion lacks a bit of deepness and roundness in that "P" sound. I`ve also found the original more massive bridge for the higher BB`s and decided to order that thing, too. More satisfied with the P sound now. That was one reason I wanted that Bass (having the P sound avalible). To my eyes, it`s also a rounder picture with both PU`s having the blade kind of thing on them now. Convertet to $ it cost me around 140 bucks (60 for the bridge and around 80 for the PU). I think it was worth it;). Was a heck of a soldering job btw. Everything is so narrow in that compartment.

20200706_192426.jpg

My only problem now: I want that bass to have matching headstock so bad!

Hnz, Hippopaulimus, jmlee and 6 others like this.
  9. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    So, after practicing some Alice in Chains through studio headphones with my Spector, I was curious as to if my BBP35 could cop that same growly tone. I maxed the neck volume, set the bridge volume at 90%, and the tone at 30%, then only utilized my amp's bass eq, setting that between 1 and 2:00 (mid and treble set flat). With the exception of the B-string sounding a little different (Elixir on the Yamaha, D'Addario on the Spector), the P35 has just about the same gnarly attitude as my Euro. Granted, I doubled the amp's volume (no preamp in the Yamaha), but how impressive is the P35's massive tone for an all-passive bass???

javi_bassist, Cracker7 and Deep like this.
  10. Halegroove

Halegroove Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    N. KY/Cincinnati, OH
    IMG_6384.JPG IMG_6385.JPG IMG_6387.JPG IMG_6388.JPG IMG_1154.PNG Hey fellow Yamaha fanatics. I'm getting ready to list an ultr rare MIJ BBVII-A mid 80's bass. These are ultra rare because they have the pair of double J pickups and 24 frets.
    This one from Reverb shown went for over $900. I'm only asking $650.

11. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Deep likes this.
  12. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    When you say "Double J" pickups, you mean "TWO Double J" pickups, right? The black-on-black is hard on my old eyes...

Halegroove likes this.
  13. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    How many of you Yamaha 5BBangers are enamored with the Yamaha solution for intonating the B string while keeping a reasonable string break angle? Do you find it useful? Does it matter at all to you? Were you inclined to slap a Hipshot or Babicz bridge on there anyway? I like the simplicity of the solution, and don't seem to have any issues with the tone.

14. Halegroove

Halegroove Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    N. KY/Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, a pair of double Jazz pickups

fretlessman71 likes this.
  15. So anyone have $2600CDN to give to me? Someone local is selling a BBNE2!

upload_2020-7-31_20-56-42.png

LaterZ!
    Darren!!

javi_bassist likes this.
  16. Mighty Thumb

Mighty Thumb

Jun 17, 2006
    I’m in! It was a bit of a saga getting this BB435 and getting it in playable condition, but it’s all good now. Played it for about two hours at work yesterday and really enjoyed it! May I have a number please?
    91B4E448-3F56-477A-BAA1-BCEE4C33A1D2.jpeg

17. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Endorsed by: ASHDOWN / LE FAY basses
    I helped a guy with his album... played his tracks with my old BB1000ma. Song is weird... BB1000ma over a Glockenklang preamp into the computer..

BassBuzzRS, gigetto and javi_bassist like this.
  18. IMG_4210.jpeg
    Stewart MacDonald speed knobs look cool on the BB434 to me. Next I would like to do a b/w/b 3 ply pick guard.

19. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Ballston Lake NY
    I just ordered a b/w/b 3-ply for my 434. Should look pretty sweet.

20. Mighty Thumb

Mighty Thumb

Jun 17, 2006
    Where did you order a pick guard from? My initial search came up empty.

Cracker7 likes this.