Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MattiZ

MattiZ

May 26, 2020
    Finland
    There are also differences between BB300’s: I own an ’83 MIJ and also had an ’84 MIT, both very early examples with volume pots closer to strings. The ‘84 MIT neck was exactly like you described: flattish back, shoulders, D shape - but the ‘83 MIJ is different: rounded back, less shoulders, C shape. The difference is very obvious, it took me probably 20 seconds to realize I liked the ‘83 neck so much more, I sold the other one to a friend of mine (who likes it a lot).

hypercarrots and Ricky Rioli like this.
  2. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Maybe try another strap. Those nylon straps are slippery.

I only use leather straps, smooth on the outside, but rough on the inside, so it doesn't slip.

TrebleRhythms likes this.
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hipshot was hit really hard during the pandemic, so it's difficult to find anything from them. Get the Hipshot licensed ultralight tuners if you can find them. Basically the same as the ultralights for half the cost.

skycruiser likes this.
  4. 8liter

8liter

Apr 30, 2009
    Decided to jump into a new project. I've had this BB614 since 2007. Bought it brand new from a Yamaha dealer and it's been my main bass since then and I'm keeping it forever. I've been looking to finally mod this thing and decided to give the EMG GZR's a shot and convert it to passive. My stock preamp was dying anyway and replacements are not available (I never liked the J pickup anyway).

For now, I'm going to install the P only and make a block off plate for the J. If I decide I want the J, I'll do the routing myself.
    173832951_845100776360459_2622135870764724233_n.jpg
    186526964_853848838534934_8604280308129838396_n.jpg

I'm using my own foam to get the proper angle on the P pickups. Gonna have to make my own cover plate too.
    186518979_297755362018308_3838473528845369626_n.jpg

The cavity will stay mostly stock. If I do want the J down the line, I'll have to drill for a 3rd pot. The stock 3 band pot holes are too small (and too close to the side of the wall). I'll have to reuse my barrel jack as the EMG one won't work (no biggie). The empty 3 band holes will be filled with furniture plugs or automotive plugs.
    186488210_510328356770259_3839410046417913828_n.jpg

I'll post more as I go along.

JimmyM, Deep, Corto14 and 4 others like this.
  5. skortch

skortch

Apr 28, 2007
    Colorado
    If the BB434 tuners are similar to the ones on my BB415 then you would save about 50 grams for each tuner if you use the Ultralite Y-key tuner(100g vs 50g/3.5 oz vs 1.75 oz). Of course, that changes the looks a bit as well; I think the clover tuners are a few grams heavier.

One thing that could also help with neck dive when standing is adding Dunlop straplocks. They change the balance slightly and I found they alleviated mild neck dive on several of my basses.

jmlee, Ricky Rioli and skycruiser like this.
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone have a fretless BB 5 string that they'd like to sell? Or a BB605 that I can defret? I have an Acynonix that I'd trade...or cash.

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I managed to fit the EMG buss! I used a simple three way mini toggle and that was the only soldering required (praise jeebus!). Space is everything in this cavity...

4D52B11D-C5FF-4D0B-8FE4-5B905CE24257.jpeg

8. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    I've got a BBPH and it seems me a strange bass. Not bad at all after some times spending with It i'm fell in love, a polite P bass.

9. Corto14

Corto14

Feb 6, 2019
    Italy
    I was looking to buy one but went sold out :( so I bought a Fender P instead
    Which string do you use? It woul be interesting to hear it with flatwounds

J_Bass likes this.
  10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Forgot TB won’t allow edits past a certain point anymore, but wanted to share a thought or two for those interested in a similar mod down the road. Due to the nature of the tight cavity, it was either a choice of soldering in a mini toggle to use with the buss, or completely hardwiring the GZR’s to some traditional mini-pots. Standard size CTS type pots will not fit in the BB234.

I was halfway through preparing to scrap the solderless setup, removing the pins from the GZR leads when I thought “let me try that stupid buss after all”, realizing I never did a proper mock up using the mini toggle I wound up with (I had originally planned to use the EMG solderless toggle). Lo and behold, it was tight but it all fit perfectly and saved me a good 30-40 minutes of soldering.

There’s a heck of a lot going on under the hood for a passive bass!

Deep likes this.
  11. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    It's funny, my opinion is completely different, regarding the BBPH.

This bass is definitely not polite.

In active mode is a super P bass. Powerful and super clear and audible in a band setting.

I have it strung with TI Flats, in passive mode it's a P bass, in active mode it's a beast, it will eat you.

Deep, jmlee and Corto14 like this.
  12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    what does it mean, polite or impolite bass? this anthropomorphic description of sound is lost on me.

13. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I understand polite as a mellow, clean, not too loud sound.

The BBPH is nothing of the sort.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Deep likes this.
  14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    seems like the same instrument can have those aspects or the opposite depending on string choice, height and pickup height.

Deep and J_Bass like this.
  15. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Well said.

Particularly the strings.

I hated the stock strings (D'Addario rounds, something), the DR Black Beauties were horrible, the labellas were too dark, the Fender 9050 were too harsh, and the TI's are perfect (to me. My favorite strings).

Deep likes this.
  16. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I use "polite" to describe my TRBX, by which I mean it's a versatile, easy to play instrument that can do everything except excite me. (I'll be selling it)

17. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    nice instruments finish last?

18. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    It was doing okay until a BB424 entered my life. More of a case of 'second is nowhere' :smug:

19. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    D'Addario's EXL 170 Nickel Round Wound

20. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    This BBPH is a "pure signature replica" and would be use with Rounds, Light Round for me are good.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021