Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Nice! :thumbsup:

Looks right to me.

Yamaha-BBP35-13.jpg

Jonny_Orange, Deep, StevieMac and 4 others like this.
  2. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Decided to add some of those FretFx to my BBP35 - I've had them on one other instrument and kinda like 'em.

Fret-FX-BBP35.jpg

L2ATJR, alack, Jonny_Orange and 5 others like this.
  3. bassface69

bassface69

Jan 12, 2020
    Canada
    Hey! What kinda knobs are on there?

4. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I guess you'd call it a custom creation.

There is a small story behind them - this post explains it.

NBD - Yamaha BBP35!

bassface69 likes this.
  5. skycruiser

skycruiser Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    I didn't think I'd say this for awhile but I'm starting to feel like I need to try some different basses and the only way I can do that is to sell off one of the 2 basses I have. The Jazz bass is new so maybe the BB434 needs to go.
    Just curious what value you guys think a BB434 in very good condition has these days? I've seen them listed in the $300 range, but these are strange times with low stock on guitars and prices are high.

6. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    BBPH is a good bass indeed. Lots of mids and equalized Plike sounding.

Deep likes this.
  7. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Played a multi-band, outdoor gig earlier tonight. Huge sound system (total of 8-15's for the subs, 8-12's w/horns on top). First time since owning the BBP35 (purchased mid-Covid) that I've had it out on a gig. Pretty sure I've never garnered more unsolicited compliments on my bass tone in a single night than this gig.

The 1st compliment was from the main soundman himself - always a good sign! Then 5-6 others came up to me afterwards with one person enthusiastically stating "you got some killer <expletive> bass tone going on". Not that I thrive on or seek out compliments. I just show up, play my best and have a good time. But it sure did get noticed in a good way & it's always nice to know that more than just myself thinks the tone is good. All in all, the BBP35 was a hit with both soundmen & audience, can't ask for much more than that.

8. skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Awesome! What strings are you using?

Deep, stingray69 and bassface69 like this.
  9. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Just some D'Addario XL's - I ran the BBP35 into an ISP Technologies Beta Bass preamp (soundman took an XLR out from that) and then into a Fender Rumble 200 for additional stage volume.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Deep, jmlee and skycruiser like this.
  10. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    sweet! I’ve had some good words about my 434, and I imagine the p sounds even better. Out of curiosity, what kind of balance between the pickups do you use?

stingray69 likes this.
  11. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I'd say 80% of the time both blended equally - however some of our songs, I use the P pickup solo.

Sometimes even a bit of both (P-only, full blend, back to P-only) throughout the course of the same song, to keep up with the overall vibe of certain sections of the song. Playing through that much wattage and speakers, it was hard to go wrong. Both blends sounded fantastic. The BBP35 was filling the fairground with Yamaha BB goodness! :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    jam.majors, Deep, jmlee and 2 others like this.
  12. I managed to score this guy from Musician's Friend via their eBay store. I've had my eye on it for a long time and it's been hard to find one in stock anywhere so I feel very lucky to have found this one. Very happy with this bass so far. This is my first 5 string in over a decade so it's a bit of an adjustment, but I'm really happy with the sound. It played so perfectly out of the box but over weekend, but it reacted to the humidity after a couple days and so it needs to be set back up again, but that's my only quibble so far. Perfect fret dressing, lovely sound, and it looks damn good too!
    KwkS0T4FvkYTGvP4jyGDwLl4hzkxxOFDkvWp4p9Ew03oEtE4y-bdpde7BG0mkfg86pjkJJ_g=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg
    (also, say hi to Taco)

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, either supply lines are slowed to a crawl or Yamaha's revamping. I got the last black BB235 GC/MF had in their entire inventory. Yours looks a lot more advanced than mine, but I'm working on it :D

droo46 likes this.
  14. blitzkrieg09

blitzkrieg09

Jun 6, 2021
    28 years old. Got my first used bass Yamaha bb 1024x. Iam still learning :D

jmlee, The Thinker, Deep and 3 others like this.
  15. Yeah, the BB735 has a lot really cool details. Probably my favorite little thing is the battery indicator. I have serious battery anxiety and I usually stay far away from active basses, but that little light makes me feel a lot better. Having a passive mode switch is also a super cool feature.

16. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    U.K
    I haven't used a battery in my 734 in 3 years, I just like the passive tone, the switch is used as a kill switch !

Rev12_11, Deep, J_Bass and 1 other person like this.
  17. Ok, so I'm a week into Yamaha land, and for the life of me, I cannot get this neck to settle down. It was set up beautifully out of the box, but of course the neck shifted pretty dramatically afterward. It looked like it shipped from Kansas before coming here to Utah so it's a major humidity/climate difference. Anyone else have this happen with theirs and how long before your neck stopped moving? I have a gig this Saturday that this bass would be perfect for, but I don't want to have to fight the thing for 3 hours if it won't stay set up.

18. skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    In what way is it moving? This sounds very strange.

19. The amount of relief keeps changing. I did a pretty thorough setup on Monday and then by last night, the neck had bowed back up so much that it was hard to play. I gave the truss rod a half turn last night, and another quarter turn this morning and it's still got quite a gap at the 12th fret.

20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    All of my Yamaha BBs from both mid-level to top end models have been extremely stable. I've never had any of them require anything other than the occasional seasonal truss rod adjustment - and most times, not even that.

I played an outdoor gig last weekend with my BBP35 - I have very low action set on it. So low in fact, that I was considering raising the action a tad because I was worried about the heat & humidity affecting it during the gig.

Well, instead I just brought along the allen wrenches and decided to hope for the best. Turns out the heat & humidity did not affect the neck one iota. Perhaps your will settle down once the humidity stabilizes a bit.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021