Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Tell me you didn't overdo the truss rod so much that it won't stay still. I did that to a bass, and it took me over a year of leaving it completely alone before I could use the truss rod again.

2. I don't need that kind of anxiety lol. I guess I just need to be patient.

Deep and JimmyM like this.
  3. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    The necks on these basses are very rigid with the 5 piece neck and slab rosewood fingerboard. For me I notice you have to go easy on tweaking the rod because you can set it where you want it and then in a day or two it may creep past or overshoot where you had set it. Since the neck is so rigid I do a tiny tweak and leave it alone...even if it looks like it didn't move much because the next day or two it will take effect. Anyway, that's been my experience. All in all these necks should be pretty darn stable. Great instruments.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    This was my experience, too. Tends to overreact overnight but will settle in eventually. A bit of guesswork is needed to get it done in a hurry, but like I said, overdoing it can result in an unstable neck.

stingray69 and Deep like this.
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    On it's way to me and getting the frets removed. Previous owner put Sadowsky pickups in it. I made a mistake and thought the spacing was tighter (I prefer 16.5mm), but it turns out it has the same 18mm spacing as my BB735A...so they'll make a great gigging pair in the end.
    w0hmgffspscopjwdxyxp.jpg

6. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Not a Yamaha BB owner, but enjoy the series. & have just today got the chance to play a BB300 as one is for sale in my local area.

This is it:
    485_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=btGggHlPGlIAX85na8k&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-2.jpg

It's an 80's MIJapan model. It does need new strings, & am debating if it's worth the 250$ CAD tag the seller is asking (they're throwing in a strap, stand, & hardcase). I'm mainly a precision bass player, but always loved the BB series (i've played many of the recent year versions - 414/424/1024/234/434/734), & i've enjoyed them all for various reasons. I've noticed the newer 34 series has a slightly slimmer body, it doesn't feel as big as the previous versions or even this older one. It's all original, including the tuning keys. No scratchy pots, the pickup & tone of this bass is very mellow, (perhaps in part to the very old strings, but i usually keep my dead strings as i enjoy the worn in tone & feel). No breaks near the output jack which i was kinda fearing since it's top mounted.

There's 3 main mods i would potentially do to this: Bridge (for a high mass i got kicking around), brass/metal nut (as i've read some have done to this model, & i did enjoy the silver/nickel nut of the 1024 & so forth models of years past - added a nice clarity to open notes), & this sounds like sacrilege - but perhaps even the pickup itself (for a single rail type split pup - another aspect i did enjoy of the older models). NOTE if i were to do these mods - i'd keep the original parts, as i usually always horde all the OG pieces of any guitar/bass i modify - even if they aren't my own, so the pickups wouldn't go anywhere far if i were to reinstall them)

Any opinions, chimes, etc, are welcomed - it'll help with my decision xD & i've read nothing but praise for this model in general, even if it is the starter series of BB.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    stingray69, Nekomata, gigetto and 2 others like this.
  7. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Well worth the $250 CDN if it’s in reasonable shape. The BB300–especially with the reverse P-pickup—is a rock-solid P-type bass. The pickups are better than you’d think, and slightly wider than stock P pickups. In my first BB300, I swapped them out for G&L SB split coils (standard P dimensions) and you can see in the photo that the fit isn’t perfect, but manageable. In a black bass they look OK. In the latest white one (both Taiwanese), I’ve left the stock pickup in and it sounds great.

upload_2021-6-10_22-30-11.jpeg

stingray69, Kestrel, gigetto and 2 others like this.
  8. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    It's in pretty good shape, The seller had bought it from the original owner a few years back, who in turn had it kinda unplayed for the last decades. It's not closet classic condition, it does have some scuffs here there but all superficial & not things i care about. I feel if it had new strings & a slightly proper set up, it'd be easier to hear what the pickup is truly capable of. With the overdue dead strings & slightly high action, it might be unfair to the bass' true nature/tone.

Though i own 4 Pbasses (a Squier standard P/J config of 2005-2008 era which i modified to be more like Duff new signature, a home built 70's ear tribute ash body pbass, & 2 other copies) they all sound vastly different from each other, all with the classic Pbass mid punch. & also have a 70's era Maya branded gibson grabber copy which honestly sits nicely between the pbass mid punch, & the yamaha BB mellowness. All of which are reasons am in debate of acquiring the bb300...

Deep likes this.
  9. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    My black one seemed both filthy and beat up when I got it, but Yamaha's finishes are good and it buffed up to a nice state as you can see from the photo I posted. After writing the last note, I got the white one with the stock pickup out and noodled away at it for a bit to remember how it sounds and feels. It's pleasantly mid-weight with a hair of neck dive. Neck's lovely under the hand, classic P-width at 1.7" nut width (just measured). The pickup is warm-sounding and medium output. I have oldish Chromes on that bass so the overall effect is of smoothness rather than bite. I too have various P- and PJ-type basses. This one's very playable and would be at home for an evening of Chicago blues, roots or traditional country music. I don't see it as being useful for rock or more modern stuff.

Deep and Andii Syckz like this.
  10. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I don't mind the warmth it has - though i do feel, my reasoning for if it were mine to swap the pickups for split rail type (for more bite & kinda throw back to the 1024 BB series) is to concur with my flock of precisions. Neck width isn't an issue for me, it's pretty reminiscent to my black pbass copy or my grabber bass (which has a similar profile/width combination as the BB300). I'm more of a rounds player, than flats, though i plan on building a fretless pbass (tribute to David J of Bauhaus with a mix of Phil lynott aesthetics) & have some flats (or halfs).

Deep likes this.
  11. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I hear you. The SB pickups in the black one were, well, transformative, in a great way. It’s a really nice, solid platform.

12. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    No doubt a solid, reliable platform to modify. The one series i loved greatly & would play any chance i got when browsing local music shops was the BB1024 F1.jpg
    ^^^In any colour it looks great. I believe this be a big reason as to why i'd acquire the bb300 & mod it slightly - to kinda get into the ball park of the 1024 (minus the J pickup, reverse splits, & no 45 degree angle string through).

stingray69, Deep and gigetto like this.
  13. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Good call. My BB1025X is a magnificent instrument. My new BBP35 arrives next week and there’s gonna be a showdown!:woot:

stingray69, Deep, Andii Syckz and 2 others like this.
  14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i’ve never seen a japanese bb300 with that body shape before. i thought they changed to the deeper lower cutaway and different knob location after taiwan production started. i have seen taiwan bb300 with body styles but until now all the japanese bb300 were the old style.
    old style:
    yl08t4uk6eyybeqwrp5h.jpg
    vol knob closer to strings than tone knob
    shallower lower cutaway

Sanshiro, Deep, gigetto and 4 others like this.
  15. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I'll try to get the serial number off of the seller, see what year it is & get back to you. According to him, it says MIJ, that's one thing i didn't verify myself sadly while testing it (as i was more focused on feel/tone, rather than country of origin).

Deep likes this.
  16. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quite right! I should have twigged to that myself since the configuration matches my black one in the photo posted above. The potential buy is definitely Taiwanese. There was a still later version where the P-pickup was no longer reversed but the deep cutaway's still there and knobs are still in the later configuration.:thumbsup:

17. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    @hypercarrots - you were indeed correct! The seller was mistaken. Hes selling a 1985 bb300, built on the 23rd of november. Based on the serial number he provided me, its the 22nd production model of that day.

Am still greatly contemplating it - again, regardless of origin country

Attached Files:

J_Bass likes this.
  18. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Could you provide the link to that page, where you insert the serial number?
    Thanks.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hello!

I am now the owner of a brand new BB435. First thing I need to say is that I'm a gear snob. Most of my basses are $2000+ Roscoe, Warwick, and Kiesel. But I've also always had a 'lower' tier bass handy just in case. Usually a Lakland Skyline. Well I sold all those off over the last few years and I've now joined another band. Our first gig is a 'warmup' gig at a local dive joint where they still allow smoking. I'm not taking any of my Roscoes in there. So it came time to find another cheap Lakland, or so I thought.

What I had planned was to get a cheap 55-01 fully aware that the stock electronics are crap, but hopefully I could have around $800 in the bass and new pickups (passive is fine). One requirement is at least 18mm string spacing, next is light weight.

I'll just cut this short right now, I saw the BB435 and it looked interesting. I figure for $549 it's worth a shot. Holy moley I'm beyond impressed with this thing! I fully expected high action, sharp fret ends, and crappy pickups but there is none of that. It runs circles around the MIM Fender 5 that I just had to work on for a friend.

This is going to be the perfect bass for those dive bar gigs and maybe more than that. It's fantastic. No pickup change planned.

However I do have a couple of questions. After all, it's still a $549 bass and I'm curious about the tuners and bridge. The bridge is probably fine but I can tell it's cheap and thin. I plan to keep stringing through body anyway, but just in case is there a good replacement bridge that would keep the through body stringing function?

Tuners. They are fine but the bass has a bit of neck dive and was wondering if Hipshot Ultralites would be a worthwhile upgrade?

stingray69 and Deep like this.
  20. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Yamaha Guitars Serial Number Decoder - GuitarInsite heres the link. Scroll down a bit youll be able to write the serial number itll give most of the info you need to know.

J_Bass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021