Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hippopaulimus

Hippopaulimus

Sep 18, 2016
    Connecticut
    Hipshot drop in replacements are lighter than stock tuners. That usually does the trick for slight neck dive .
    You should only switch over to ultralights if there is a significant issue.

Deep and skycruiser like this.
  2. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Do you happen to know which ones drop in for the BB434?

2021-06-11 09_52_31-Bass Tuning Machines – Hipshot Products.png

2021-06-11 09_52_41-Bass Tuning Machines – Hipshot Products.png

3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Was watching a Nathan East video last night - I did not realize he played a Yamaha BB3000 on Kenny Loggins' "Footloose".

Here's a video (starts at that point) where he talks about his Yamaha BB3000.

* Bonus - at the end he shows/talks about that gorgeous Custom Shop Prototype model.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  4. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Well gentlemen, I had ordered a BBP35 a few weeks ago. It came in about a week ago. Again, just as outstanding as my BBP34, plus the B string is outstanding! 20210611_122050.jpg

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Get the LIC Ultralights. Much cheaper, same quality. The 1/2" ones. The original tuners are aweful. Mine rattle like crazy.

mmbongo likes this.
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had one of those basses for a week. I just happened to get one with a super loose B string. It was terrible. Would love to find one again with a better B. I love that tight spacing.

7. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Were those stock string on it?

Also curious if you tried a different set of strings on it during that time?

The reason I ask, is that I did find the B very floppy with one set of string I put on it. These were not fantastic strings by any means - just some cheap set I had left laying around the house. I thought I'd get rid of them by using them on my BBP35. Figured they at least give that new string sound for a bit. They did that, but they didn't last long on there due to the noticeably poor B string performance. I went back to my normal set of strings and that tight piano B string tension and tone came right back with it.

8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Wow! :woot: Congrats! :bassist:

wwwbassman likes this.
  9. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Thanks. Great basses. For me they sound and feel broken in from day one.

stingray69 likes this.
  10. I can't help thinking that you must like that Yammy burst. A wild guess, I know. :D

Deep, stingray69 and J_Bass like this.
  11. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Yea, wild guess lol. Yes, I like good old sunbursts!:bassist:

stingray69, J_Bass and Nekomata like this.
  12. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Is Yamaha going to update the BB series anytime soon? This one is from 2017, right?

I love my BBPH, and am now finding harder to resist the BBP34.

Deep likes this.
  13. Corto14

Corto14

Feb 6, 2019
    Italy
    Buy a BBP
    You will not regret
    I assure you :smug:

14. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    +1 on that!

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    skycruiser and Deep like this.
  16. Corto14

Corto14

Feb 6, 2019
    Italy
    :drool::drool::drool:

How do you find the balance of the fiver? She maybe should has a little bit of neck dive, as opposed to the bbp34 which is perfect (mine, at least)

Deep and JimmyM like this.
  17. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    To be honest, I've had the 5 for only about a week now and have not done any gigs with it so far. That being said I have tried it on a strap and find it to be similar to the BBP34....which I find it to balance fine. It's just as comfortable as the 4 for me.

Corto14 and stingray69 like this.
  18. ajn

ajn

Sep 3, 2007
    Now in Oregon
    According to this site, the HB1 would be the closest replacement:
    Replacing Yamaha BB Lightweight Machine Heads | BTN Music UK

However, unless the tuners for the 434 are significantly heavier than those on the 734a, it doesn't look like you would save much if any weight at all. Someone earlier in this thread posted the weight for the stock tuner on a 734a as 2.75 ounces. The HB1 with the longer posts are listed as 2.9.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I doubt they are significantly heavier. I got the same weight for the tuners on my BB235.

Deep likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021