Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    My experience also says yes, it's normal. Both 434 and 735a have that recess. Coming from playing stingrays, I'm a fan of this avenue for adjustment.

can you hear me likes this.
  2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Same on my BBP35. IIRC, there is also single screw that holds the black plastic wood protector in place around the truss rod access area.

Not sure if removing the plastic guard will give you an easier approach to the truss rod though - it might though. The only time I've removed it is when changing out the stock pickguard because that plastic piece also pins down the pickguard in that area too.

Yamaha-BBP35-1.jpg

Deep likes this.
  3. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    On a couple of my earlier BB’s I’ve had to remove that plastic piece to adjust the neck *and* I’ve shortened the Allen key to make getting it in there more feasible.

Deep and stingray69 like this.
  4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Now that you mention it - I do use a short version allen wrench (proper sized) from one of my older Yamaha's, rather than the one that came with the BBP35.

Perhaps that also explains my lack of issue getting at the truss rod.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Deep and jmlee like this.
  5. Thanks for the tip.

stingray69 likes this.
  6. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    How did you find the clarity on the low B?

7. Definitely the weakest link after one day at bedroom volume. Caveats are I have never liked D'adarios and I haven't finished set-up. I have a set of GHS balanced nickels arriving today and rehearsal and 2 gigs this weekend. Hopefully I can say more then.

8. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    My BBP35 has a monstrous and defined B string and that was with the Dadarrio stock strings. I put GHS Boomers on it and the B is just as glorious....monstrous, huge, fat tone with excellent definition. Dare I say it puts it in my Lakland 35" scale territory. The Yamaha is outstanding.:bassist:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Like that on my BB235, too.

Deep and can you hear me like this.
  10. I'm optimistic that once I get the bass set up it will improve. Neck was too straight for me to get the action I wanted with my moderate/heavy attack.

Do you use both pickups? I found the J made the B string come to life (not surprising I guess). In my brief play I absolutely loved the P pickup with the tone rolled off but yeh that wasn't the optimum setting for the low B. Luckily the J was both quieter in terms of hum and fatter than I hoped for when the tone was about 50%. I'm really impressed with how many good sounds you can get from those 3 knobs. Wasted too many years telling myself I needed an active bass.

Also, I do use a lighter touch through my bigger rig so between setup, strings, settings and technique I'm definitely optimistic that I'll get good results with the B.

Deep likes this.
  11. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I've been using the P pick-up full on with a touch of the J just to tighten up the B a bit. Actually, to my ears that B sounds surprisingly good with the P pick-up alone and that says alot on a 34" scale bass. The J added does enhance it though.
    And yea, the three simple knobs really do alot. If you don't dime the volume knobs.....maybe backing off 25% the P to my ears is deep creamy tone and the J the same only of course not deep like the P.

can you hear me and jam.majors like this.
  12. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Ed Friedland has opined that a P pickup is in all the wrong spot for a defined-sounding B-string and that it needs some definition via, say, a J pickup. I think he’s right—at least at 34” scale—and you’re both confirming that. I always feather a little J in for that purpose.

stingray69, can you hear me and Deep like this.
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I put some Hipshot ultralight tuners on my 735A tonight. Huge improvement from the super rattly original tuners. I can hear a difference in sound for sure though. The larger tuners gave the bass a bit more in the low end, but I'll take the better headstock balance and no rattle any day. What a great bass. I've actually begun to really like the preamp as well. I do wish that it had a passive tone knob, but all in all it just works and sounds great.

14. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Curious. This is on the Yamaha site for the BB735a:
    "The new BB700 models feature a specially tuned active/passive circuit for fine tonal control and extreme flexibility. This updated circuit has been retuned for the BB for a crisper tone and improved mids via a level-matched output whether in passive or active mode and tone-switching circuitry that seamlessly moves from treble control to master passive tone."
    Edit: I found this elsewhere:
    "I also have a 735A and didn't know about the function of the treble knob until I read that review. The first 50% up to the indent does indeed only control the passive treble, and the second half does only control the active treble."

Maybe, @emjazz, you might try the first half of the treble control turn when in passive mode and see if it acts as a passive tone control (treble cut).:bookworm:

droo46 likes this.
  15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry! I meant a passive tone in active mode. Also, the passive tone isn't super useful in passive mode.

jmlee likes this.
  16. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Got it! The present control kind of reminds me of the single coil/double coil switching trick with the tone controls on the Peavey T-40. I found those more clumsy than helpful—although it was an interesting bit of circuitry wizardry.

emjazz likes this.
  17. Did
    Was it a drop-in replacement for the tuners? If not, are all holes covered?

18. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I happen to own both a Dingwall Combustion and a BB435 so can speak to this a bit.
    The Dingwall was my main instrument for about 8 years, it's excellent, and the Low-B hits harder than any other bass... ever.

When it came down to the BB - I was really looking for a 5-string with a P-Bass sound. The Fender option was... crap and the Sire P7 weighed too much. With a P-Bass, I considered it as needing to be passive. It didn't hurt that the BBP was also passive so I figured that active electronics couldn't be that good.
    So, I bought the BB435, and after a little experimentation with strings (ended up with D'addario tape-wounds), and a pro-setup it's outstanding. Does the B-string hit as hard as the Dingwall... no, but nothing does.
    It's become my primary instrument.

The BB435 in a 'perfect world' wishlist:
    • 24 frets instead of 21
    • A better bridge pick-up - the factory one is lacking on many levels. I'll probably swap a Nordstrand eventually
    • 35" scale. This would tighten up the B-string

If I was buying again, I'd probably get a BBP35. Yeah, it costs 2X, and from everything I've seen the fit-finish on the BBP is superior. Frankly the 735 hasn't crossed my mind.

stingray69 and can you hear me like this.
  19. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    My BBPH has a straight neck too, I do it some relief

20. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    A side note, I spoke to a large music distributor yesterday. He says the BBP basses are not discontinued, just delayed. He's expecting some in the fall

JimmyM, Deep and Windreaper like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021