Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there an all-in-one stereo pre-poweramp solution for a stereo (fx) rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jetforcex, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jetforcex

jetforcex

Sep 23, 2003
    Or a solid state stereo preamp that would do well as part of a modular stereo rig?

I play bass more like metal guitar (I'm a guitarist who prefers bass frequencies, fatter strings, and bass gear, go figure) and run:

Bass -> Fulltone Bassdrive -> Amp

Recently I discovered thru headphones running the Bassdrive to something called a Yamaha UD Stomp modulation device can yield a MASSIVE distortion sound field that I would like to get out of the headphones and into the atmosphere at large.

The ideal would be Bass -> Bassdrive -> UD Stomp -> ??? -> 2 identical cabs acting as "left" and "right"

UD Stomp has two 1/4" outputs so I just need to fill that gap in the chain with one magic box or a magic stereo preamp running to something like a QSC power amp.

I did every conceivable search related to stereo rigs on the forum here and all I came up with is the Alembic F-2b. Got to be more options out there.

I would be so thankful for any help, this sound is too good not to pursue. :help:

2. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Maybe the Eden Navigator into a QSC power amp.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sure, Man:

The SWR SM-500 has 250W each side to 4-Ohms; 150/side to 8-Ohms. Monaural inupt for your uh.. big, low guitar with a mono effect send - then a stereo effects return to twin amp sections.

Valve input, Aural enhancer, 4-band semi-parametric EQ...

http://www.swrsound.com/products/proseries/sm500.html

Killer sound too, I hear. I'm thinking of getting one.

Joe

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    A Carvin R1000 head and two cabinets of your choice would work nicely. You could run 500 watts to each side (at 2 ohms) and it would probably cost less than many other options.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as the effect in question can be run thru an effect loop then any of the stereo heads with stereo effects returns should do it. (i'd still do the alembic, but that's just me) :D

6. jetforcex

jetforcex

Sep 23, 2003
    Thanks guys for the food for thought. A couple interesting strategies here. If I went with the Alembic what would be a good power amp to match with it? I've read of some compatibility issues with QSC and others, although the technical explanation is over my head, something to do with not driving the amp to full power. Also I wonder where one can obtain an SM-500 for under $1K, heh.... :smug:

7. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I just got one of these. Raven Labs - USIP. It's a stereo preamp with a stereo effects loop. May be just what you need... great tone too. Raven Labs is no longer in business but maybe you can find one used. Got mine from Balor here on Talkbass... Thanks Balor!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree with the Eden Navigator into a 2-channel power amp. Or, you could get a WT-800.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    And still be quieter than an Ampeg B2R. :rolleyes: :rollno: :bag:

10. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

Ditto.

Or WT-600.

Actually, Iwasn't aware of any heads that have a stereo effects loop other than the Wt's....

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    On Alembic's website, for the F-2B they don't recommend using a poweramp with an input impedance of less than 10K ohms or one with a low input sensitivity.

With that in mind, I chose a Carver PM1400 poweramp which has an input impedance of 25K (unbalanced, which the Alembic is) and an (internally configurable) input sensitivity of either 0.775V (high) or 1.5V (low). It comes from the factory with the input sensitivity set at 1.5V, but I changed mine to the higher setting of 0.775V when I got it.
    Works great!
    The downside to the Carver is that it only goes down to 4 ohms per channel (so no bridging into 4 ohms, which I don't need to do anyway), and the thing is not light (34 lbs.).

The QSC PLX amps have an input impedance of 6K ohms (unbalanced) and input sensitivities ranging from 1V to 1.9V (depending on the model). But the input sensitivity on them can be increased by doing an internal mod, Lord Valve will do it for you (for a charge) if you buy from him, and since he is authorized it wont affect your warranty (I believe).

I only offer this data for informational purposes, not to try to sway you one way or the other in your choice of an amp.

Most people will tell you (and I tend to agree) that the input inpedance value is not as important as the input sensitivity, and I haven't heard any reports of people having problems driving their QSC amps with their Alembic preamps.

Good luck in your search.