Is there an american looking bridge for mexican fender bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by johnthegod, Apr 26, 2021.

1. johnthegod

johnthegod

Apr 26, 2021
    I really really love the streamline look of the bridges that come on the american fender basses. Obviously theres a difference in mounting holes, but i was curious if theres a bridge out there that looks similar thats a drop in replacement for my mexican P?

*please do not tell me to go buy a USA fender, my wallet will be triggered.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Fender USA and MIM bridges with the five screws are interchangeable.

3. johnthegod

johnthegod

Apr 26, 2021
    Wuttt? Are you positive? Ive done a lot of internet research and it seems a vast majority say that new holes would need to be drilled because they would not line up. Is this not the case with the newer fender basses? I have a brand new 2021 player series P bass btw

4. FUBB

FUBB

Feb 2, 2007
    I fitted one to my MIM 70’s body. Had to drill new holes, and they are set a little further toward the neck to retain intonation. Looks and works great!
    096BC07B-EAEE-44B7-B9CD-B6F5D7F6BE58.jpeg

mexicant and johnthegod like this.
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.
    He must be talking about the Hi-Mass bridges on the more expensive models as the bent plates look nearly identical. OP, take a look at the Hipshot, it is similar (not identical) and may suit you.
    B Style Fender® Mount Bridges

andruca, 96tbird and Lownote38 like this.
  6. johnthegod

johnthegod

Apr 26, 2021
    Ah yes sorry, i did mean the hi-mass bridge. Thanks for the rec, im not sure i like the look of the hipshot bridges tho.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I use 5 hole Fender Pure Vintage bridges on MIM basses. IME, a 5 hole bridge drilled for a top load Fender body will fit MIA or MIM basses.

In addition to the Pure Vintage, i’ve used Babicz 5 hole, Badass 5 hole, Schaller 5 hole, and a no name import 5 hole on MIM standard basses with no mods required.

8. johnthegod

johnthegod

Apr 26, 2021
    Im specifically after the look of the USA hi-mass bridge tho. Im just trying to make my bass more pretty is all. Every other 5 hole replacement bridge ive seen just looks ugly IMO.

fhm555 likes this.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If there’s a 5 hole version of the bridge you like, it should fit, but verify if it’s not sold as a direct Fender replacement.

10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Just resign yourself to drilling holes. You can then put on any bridge you desire. A bridge cover is much cheaper though.

11. johnthegod

johnthegod

Apr 26, 2021
    Eh im really hesitant. If have to pay someone else to do it and where i live i feel like my options are limited. Also, would the three new holes be made above the five i already have, or would it be most ideal to fill those and redrill in the same general spot?

12. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Donno, but @FUBB said he had to drill for his Hi-Mass, and the new holes are closer to the neck (see post #4)

It's a piece of cake to mount another bridge. Use painters tape to mark across the top of the bridge on that tape also mark either edge. Remove the strings and old bridge. Lay the new bridge at the edge of the tape and center it between the edge marks. Put another piece of tape in the vicinity of the new holes (makes marks and drilling easier and more accurate and the bit won't slip as easily. Mark for the new holes. Lift the bridge off, you can now determine if you need to fill the old holes or just drill new ones. After drilling, remove the tape. Mount your bridge, restring, tune and play your prettier bass. Stand in front of a full length mirror for the first few minutes of playing so you can admire your pretty bass. Good luck, it really is easy.

13. johnthegod

johnthegod

Apr 26, 2021
    Can you suggest a drill bit size to use in case i go that route?

14. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The same size as the solid core of the screw. (called the minor diameter) If you line them up one behind the other, with the drill bit in front, you should be able to see the threads of the screw, but not the solid portion. Reverse the positions and you shouldn't be able to see the bit. If you don't have a bit that fits exactly, then use one that is slightly too small. Pull the screw over a bar of soap when you are putting the screw in.

96tbird likes this.
  15. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Legitimate Fender bridge mounting screws are #5 x 1". A #5 screw needs a 3/32" hole when you're using a straight bit in hardwood.

Some aftermarket bridges come with #6 screws instead. A #6 screw needs a 7/64" bit.

IME, do yourself a favor and spend the $3 for the correct sized bit, it's not worth risking problems from a wrong sized bit and the cost of a correct bit will be a drop in the bucket compared to what you spend on the new bridge. Look back through old threads in this forum or the Luthier's Corner forum, the #1 problem people have with installing bridges (assuming they got the holes in the right place) is breaking off screws because they used a pilot hole that's too small. There are a LOT of threads about how to get out broken screws, and there are a lot of photos in build threads showing how people got out broken screws. It's easy to talk yourself into thinking that a smaller hole will be better because it'll make the screw tighter, but in reality, these screws are pretty fragile and easy to break even when they're made well (versus the cheap unknown metal used in generic screws supplied with no name bridges). You should be able to easily drive the screw in with a normal screwdriver with one hand. If you need to really grunt and exert yourself, or use two hands, it's much too tight. If you're driving them in with a screw gun, it's probably too tight! This is a precision operation, not a gorilla operation.

Also, forget about pencil marks. Center punch the holes. Trying to drill on a pencil mark invites the bit to wander and put the hole wherever it finds soft wood. A punch mark will put the hole where YOU want it to be, not where the bit wants it to be.

16. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Get the Fender HiMass bridge instead. It’s cheap, good, and drops right in.

17. johnthegod

johnthegod

Apr 26, 2021
    Its prob a longshot, but does anyone know of a reputable luthier in Connecticut that could do this for me? Im willing to pay to ensure i dont shag this up myself. All i know of in the area are really tiny mom and pop general music shops and guitar center/sam ash. Neither do i trust to do a precision job like this.

dwizum likes this.
  18. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    The Guitar Mechanic
    Guitars Luthiers Connecticut

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  19. johnthegod

johnthegod

Apr 26, 2021
    I had seen those websites in my own google search. I thought the second one was prob outdated based on the web design, but ill hit up some of those in my area and see whats up. Thanks!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021