Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there an "Avatar" of PA speakers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm looking into getting PA columns for my band and I was wondering if there is a company similar to Avatar that makes quality pa speakers for a good price.

My setup is as such right now:

- Fostex mixing board
    - Carvin 1000-watt power amp
    - Rocktron noise gate
    - power conditioner
    All in a rack

So I need speakers that will handle the wattage and put out plenty of (good) sound at a decent price (relative, I know).

What do you guys suggest?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  3. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Thanks, tmo. I've actually heard a lot of bad things about Legion Sound, which are apparently equipped with Madison speakers.

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've heard they're better than behringer, but I have not heard their stuff. Their response curves seem to look pretty good. TONS better than legion, as I can see. But it's really all in what you hear.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Carvin makes great PA speakers. I have 2 of the 1584's and they pump. And they take all the power you give to them like a .50 whore. They are reasonably priced for a great product.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got 4 speaker cabs from steelsounds;
    Legion Sound 2x10- tinny, 'got no booty". Cost $109 and sounds like $120
    X-Audio 2x10- whole lots of thump for a $99. Could do a small gig with it. Sounds like a $200 cab
    Steelsound Eminence 1x10 PA cabs- $69; will do the job for vocals.
    I've heard a Madison cab; 1x18- will make you poop....

7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    You have to way the obvious. The PA has to be good so you don't sound like crap. Spend the money on good stuff if you can. A little more shells for a better sound isn't bad in my opinion.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How cheap do you need?

JBL makes 15" 2-ways that sell for $200 each at Guitar Center...and they are a top name brand, although that is their "absolute lowest end" cabinet. The JBL powered EON cabs at $400 each are one of the best PA deals out there.

Peavey has a whole line of lightweight plastic enclosures that are available for $200 or less in 15", 12" and 10" flavors.

EV, Yamaha and Community also have very inexpensive cabs available through the big retail outlets.

With prices like that, it's hard for an Avatar-style maker to compete!

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Carvin, 1584 $399. Right now they have a half off of shipping. That cab has a 15 and an 8 with a horn. I'm telling you, I am the most anal person when it comes to how the vocals sound and these things have it all. And they aren't that heavy either.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Check out Sonics. They are made in Wisconsin but are somewhat hard to find. I believe they use EV's.

11. Around Vancouver, Yorkville is quite common. Rugged, decent quality at reasonable prices. I see used Yorkville PA equipment in the Buy&Sell all the time.

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I recently saw a set of PA speakers with Avatar badges on Ebay. They were 12''/horn speaker and were going cheap. Sorry I don't have the link. Did Avatar make PA speakers at one time?

13. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Thanks for the responses, all! Much appreciated!

14. Haven't heard them but as always, MF has some cheapos on clearance--all their Yamaha 2 ways seem to be $50 off and there's a 15" 2 way peavey which looks pretty decent for $219.

15. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Madisons suck as well as Legion sound. Don't waste your money on that garbage. The Carvin stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be since they use low end eminence drivers and OK boxes. You'll find a better deal getting a pair of Yamaha S115IV's on clearance somewhere. Check for used as well, that's where the best deals can be had.

The noise gate won't do you much good in a PA rig, really spend the money on power, speakers, and EQ (only 31 band).

pete

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Heard some the new 300 watt JBL Eons this weekend. Those (4) were kicking some butt! Loud and clean. Best of all, I help them carry the stuff out. (So, I could use the dock to load my video equipment.) Fairly light an d easy to handle. I was interested in getting some of these but, now the serious plotting begins.....

17. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I like yamaha pa cabs and have used them for a few years now. No complaints and great bang for buck. When I a/b them with jbl, you have to spend about 150 a cab more in the jbl line to get the same sound quality. The yamaha club line is the same price range as jbl bottom line but sounds like jbl's mid line. GC will come down on there price on yamahas pa cabs, make them deal.

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Best bang for the buck is prolly Yamaha s115V's ...Emenince speakers, yup specially made for Yammie, for around $300-350 per speaker they rock. If you add subs let me know (should for bass and kickdrum). If your Carvin puts out 500w per side that's perfect to power those. Get a good EQ too, already have a gate for the drums. www.prosoundweb.com, online PA community just like TB, it'a an awesome site but they will tell you your gear sucks, but what you have will do the job just fine.

19. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    They used too. I e-mailed Dave about them when I was looking for PA speakers but he said they weren't selling very well. I ended up with a pair of JBL Soundfactor Dual 15's (500 Watts each, 2000 peak @4ohms) for about $400 each after hearing by cousin's band play through some. The bottom 15 is crossed over as a quasi sub. I wouldn't say it sounds like we have subs when use them but they do have quite a good deal of bottom to them. They do way about 100 lbs each. The Sound Factor line has been discontinued and is being replaced with another almost identical line. Sam Ash in San Antonio was making some deals on the remaining stock as I was recently able to pick up some 12 inch monitors from this line for $179 and they used to sell for $279 (street price). Mabye you could find a deal at another store for the mains. They make single 15s as well.

20. JBL Soundfactor SF25 (dual 15 w / horn) can be found for $299 each. Adequately powered, they sound great and you will get a fair amount of low end without subs. Note - avoid JBL's 'TR' series, the highs aren't as smooth.

Or, if you want a great sounding 115/horn and add subs later, look for a closeout on the Yamaha Club series S115IV. You can find these for about $199 each, they sound fantastic.

So for $200 to $300 per speaker, you can get something that sounds great, and will hold it's resale quite well because of the brand familiarity among consumers.