Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there an upright in your future?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jan 12, 2004.

1. I am seriously considering playing upright bass someday.

28 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. I sometimes consider playing upright bass, but not that often.

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. I 've never played an upright, so I don't know.

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. The thought of playing an upright never enters my head.

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. I would love to get a non-traditional EUB such as an NS upright.

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. There's a PBJ sandwich in my immediate future.

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. I was wondering: How many electric bass guitar players have the intention of moving up/on to an upright bass?

Question to upright players: How long did you play electric bass guitar before you moved on to upright?

I'm just curious; I don't think we've ever had a poll like this.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I can't even see a new bass in the near future, let alone an upright.

It's pretty low on my list, a 5+, fretted and fretless are 1st, etc.

As of now, I don't see myself as a future upright player, I sing the body electric :D

3. My spin: I was never really attracted to playing an upright bass mainly because of the size (portability) lack of volume compared to an electric bass guitar, and the cost.

However, hanging around here for the last few years, and really getting into my unlined fretless bass, the thought of something like an NS upright is beginning to enter my mind. One of the reasons they're starting to appeal to me is that aren't as bulky as a regular acoustic upright bass.

What's your opinion?

Mike

BTW, I voted for the NS option.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I played upright a bit in high school and took it (and electric upright) up again last year for a while.

I stopped mostly because it just wasn't practical for me right now, but I really enjoyed it.

Also, to anyone who thinks it will hamper your electric bass technique, that isn't true. If anything, it helps.

5. Hey Thrash, cool new avatar you've got there, Governor. :cool:

Mike

6. I've always been attracted to the upright, but cost and size have kept me on the electric. Most of my sound and inspiration come from coveting the upright. More of my influences are upright or part-time/former upright players than just electric players.

There will be one in my future, either the real thing or something like a BSX.

7. I voted #2. Once in a while, the idea of getting one crosses my mind, but I don't think it would be very useful for me. I still have tons to learn about my fretted 5-strings! :)

8. I have to learn it real fast starting next week. I am the bass player for my college jazz band and we are playing "Round Midnight" by Thelonius Monk for a mid-February concert, and the director wants it on upright. His words, "It's just like electric, you'll have no problem."

I have found the piece to be relatively difficult on electric (lots of different hand positions used and only been playing jazz for 2 years).

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I am seriously considering playing upright bass someday.

I love the sound of the double bass, and I think I'll buy one after I finish school.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm buying a used Messenger by John Knutson - this thing sounds like an upright - amazing! 41.5" scale - the owner let me take it home - i have been playing around with it all weekend - kicked my arse!

sounds great

11. I'd love to play an upright in the future,however...I do not have the funds nor experience as a bassist to play one. So,I'll wait :)

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I played electric bass for about 7 years before I decided to take on the acoustic upright. Ive since tried a few EUBs and disliked them all.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There is an upright bass in my past. I haven't touched the electric bass since I got the upright.

And ... I played electric for about 7 or 8 years before moving to upright.

14. I never even considered it until I started spending some time with a female cello player... and started grooving on the cello when she leaves the room.

I quite enjoy the feel of it, although it's obviously much too small compared to bass. I think one day I'd like to get into it if I can ever find the time and excuse to get an upright.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ask bob - http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html

;) :D

16. Jazzbo, what makes you want to play only upright now? Why not play both?

Mike :)

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't really have any intention of ever playing an upright. I tried it once or twice, and was told that I got a pretty good tone pretty quickly, but I just don't think it's me.

Having started off on classical guitar, I love "acoustic" instruments (yeah, I know solidbody instruments are acoustic instruments too, in the most fundamental sense, but you know what I mean--I'm talking about the ones with lots of air inside!). The 6-string ABG I got last year pretty well satisfies my acoustic jones on the bass front. I recently took it to a jam session/party at the house of a jazz upright bassist. His succinct comment after he heard my ABG: "It walks." That's close enough for me.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like Upright, it has a nice sound, it's fun to play, once you get back on electric they feel like a toy :p

It's good stuff, But I couldn't see myself being an exclusive upright player, for a few reasons, they are way more expensive pound for pound, they are logistically cumbersome pound for pound, they require more fine tuned maintenance and skill to keep together, Strings cost WAY more, and are a pain in the ass to put on...etc.

for me, overall, it's way more work and hassle than reward, and I'm young and dumb so I don't want a lot of work to get a satisfying sound :p

I would love an electric upright, because it solves most of my gripes, but they are even MORE expensive, and that's just not cool.

probably, when I'm out of school, supposing I have a nice job, something that can afford some bassery from time to time, I will get an upright for sure, but currently, there is no way you would find me hauling an upright thru the snow in boston :p

19. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    :D

The thanks should go to Wrong Robot... for it was his skill that created it!

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I had the space, and the time, for an upright, I would get one. Maybe when I am old and the kids are gone. I could put it in one of their bedrooms. But I don't even spend enough time practicing toybass. Of course, once the kids are grown and gone, I will have more time.