Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is there another sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rusmannx, Dec 20, 2001.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    my bass is a sterling... at least that is what it says on the head stock. it's an old piece of crap and the previous owner sanded off the finish. it hums and buzzes like mad. i'm not sure it there is a crap bass company out there called sterling, or is mine just an extrememly abused musicman? the writing is cursive, and musicman sterlings are not. any tips would be great.

-russ-

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

If yes, it may be a MusicMan.

If no, it's not.

;)

3. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    it doesn't look like that. the head is different, and it only says sterling, not musicman. the body is similar, but mine only had vol, tone, and a three way switch.

-russ-

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    then maybe is one of those dozens of copies out there :(

PS: thanks for the pic heavy, it made me drool and smile :)

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You're welcome! Every time I pop the case open on mine (it's identical to the one pictured), I drool and smile, too!

6. That is VERY pretty HeavyDuty. I wouldn't want to be disloyal to my own lovely Sterling, but that is pretty!

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thank you! I have a white pearl pickguard coming, but I have to say the black is growing on me...