Is there any better jazz for the money than a Valenti?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Jun 10, 2004.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I now have a bass I really like, but it is rather inexpensive (SX Jazz). It is more than enough for my playing ability, but I eventually want a really nice jazz. I had thought about a MIA Jazz, a Skyline JO or DJ (the JO buzzed alot, though). I like what I have seen from Nino and realize this is not the most un-biased place to ask, but....

I know it is a Warmoth, but I would not trust myself assembling one and have it come out as nice as his. Plus, he doesn't charge that much more than the cost of parts.
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    it's not a Warmoth, it a Valenti!

Nino is a great guy, and worth an email/phone call/what not.

He's down to earth, honest and builds some great basses!

So to answer your question in a word.... no.
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    no insult intended. What I meant was he doesn't cut the bodies and shape the necks himself. I know he does alot more than just bolt one together. You can tell when you compare his basses to other Warmoths.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He's got a great background, and I'm looking to eventually have 3 instruments done by him (51 P-Bass, J-Bass, and a Tele Guitar)

Helluva guy and the most honest I've met.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You guys are gonna give me an huge ego. :)

Thanks for the compliments.
  6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

not trying to stroke your ego. I've always wanted to be able to pick out all the parts (Warmoth style), but never had the talent to put one together. If I was spending the money on a Jazz, I really can't think of a better deal. A MIA Fender where I pick from 1 of maybe 5 colors and only 1 of 2 wood choices. No electonics choices... I realize MIA aren't bad, but I want a bit more flexibility in what I have built.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Give Nino the chance to build you a bass that is better then any of those production basses you named.
  8. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Your basses look awesome, Nino. One of these days when I get a little extra bread....... :) Dang, how could one go wrong with those prices. What is the typical weight of one of your J basses? Thanks!
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  10. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I wouldn't bother buying a Valenti if I was worried about re-sale. Only one for resale value is a Fender. My price range is basically 1200-1300 ish. I know Lull and Sadowsky are good and hold value pretty well, but those are out of the price range.

11. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Side question others may want to know also....

Nino, how much fretwork do you have to do on the necks you get? Are they good straight out of the box, or do you do a fret level on them?
  12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    97% of a Sadowsky for 30% of the dough. Go Nino Go!

13. +2

Think man! An almost unlimited amount of color choices, electronics choices, wood choices, neck choices. All for probably about half of a Sadowsky, but you're getting the closest you're gonna get to the same build quality. Dude, there's no competition, get a Valenti now. I cant wait till the day when I order my Trans blue, black pg with a maple neck and black blocks and binding Jazz!
  14. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    alder body
    pao ferro on maple neck
    OBP1 stack w/vol vol passive tone
    push pull: active/passive and series/parallel
    Antiqu II
    chrome hardware
    neck pickup cover (ashtray)

only question is which color? (pickguard color will depend on body color)

transparent white
    transparent blue
    lake placid blue
    59 burst
    tobacco burst

choices, choices, choices....
  15. i really wish i hadn't looked on nino's site, now i'm really gas'n for that ash j with the black hardware and pickup cover. simply beautiful. i may have to save up and order a 5 string version.

as for the quality and value of nino's basses..... can that many TB'ers really be wrong, i doubt it.
  16. Sounds good. Get the trans blue or natural. Black pickgaurd on either!
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    AHHH! I had a huge response filled out and my computer flipped out on me.

My response bassically said:

When I tested my *used* Valenti bass, it beat:
    European Spectors (I didnt have any American to compare to)
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    and came very very close to a Pedulla. I prefer the Valenti but the Pedulla has its own sound

It became my main bass and now Im selling my G&L because I have another Valenti comming. If anyone wants to know how I feel about G&L do a search and you'll see how much I love them.

I compared it to every quality bass I could find. I havent had a chance to compare it to a Lakland yet but Im prety sure that my Valenti could hold it own.

I went on to say:

Nino is the best to work with!
    I requested custom features not mentioned on the price list and he said yes.
    He has kept me up to date and calls, e-mails, or contacts me on AIM whenever a question comes up.
    He's such a nice guy he contacts me even when there arent any issues!

I once speced out a bass with Warmoth parts and it came out pretty damn close to what Nino charges. His prices are great!

This is the way to go in my opinion.

Does anyone other than Nino own two Valenti basses?

I will soon!

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would say LPB with matching headstock and an off white pickgaurd, maybe mint like what I have on both of mine. It doesnt look as green once its one a bass.

Trans white might look good too but go with a tort picjgaurd for that. Maybe matching HS.

Transblue Id save for ash or at least a nicer top than alder. Id say a tort or chrome PG like on Nino's Sadowsky.

He already has a silver one available!

The Natural one Id leave for an ashbody again and a maple FB.

The rest would all be great with tort gaurds but are a little plain IMO. Too many of them.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    MMMMmmmm... sounds like a tasty one!
  20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd rather not.