1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there any difference between Squier Vintage Modified and Afinnity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maturanesa, Nov 2, 2018.

1. I was looking for a Squier 5 string P but i dont know if these are like the cheapest line of Squier or more close to a mexican Fender.
    Do you have any experience on this?

thanx!

2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    VM J 5 is excellent bass. Did not try P.

HawldieMPB and maturanesa like this.
  3. yeah, try to find a VM series. The affinity has no resale value. Personally I would hold out & save a few $ & find a fender

somebrains likes this.
  4. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I just bought an affinity P (used 2005 indonesia) and i really like it. I was also prepared and willing to replace pots, jack, and bridge, and touch up fret ends myself. Ended up with a nice bass for ~$160.

If you're looking at affinity, i would assume budget is an issue. There are good ones out there. I set out to find a CV, VM, or MIM fender; played affinitys i didn't like, but also played MIMs i didnt like. When i found this affinity i felt like i had to buy it. Or maybe i was tired of looking o_O

maturanesa likes this.
  5. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    Vintage Modified over Affinity

6. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Bought a VM fretless P last year, couldn't be any happier with it. It goes to every show and gets played plenty. I also own a '59 Precision and 2014 American Special. The Special is my main bass, the '59 has been semi-retired after 40 years of steady use. Squier VM's are probably the best choice vs. Affinity, though YMMV.

shodan likes this.
  7. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I see VMs get snapped up on my local CL ~$150.
    I also see beather MIMs go around that at the end of the year/tax time/what have you excuse.
    I would wait for the Holiday $ crunch to see what gear comes out of closets.

shodan and pappabass like this.
  8. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Rereading your question, i think the answer is VM are closer to MIM. I hear a lot of people say they are as good or better. But quality control varies in all the lines, so best to try before you buy.

maturanesa likes this.
  9. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    There must be differences, but I don't know what they are.

I've never seen anyone give an accurate description of the differences either.

10. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    OK. I'll take a crack at it...

Pure speculation on my part: the differences will be in the quality of the components and level of quality control.

In general, the thing I worry about with low-budget instruments is whether the neck will stay straight and true over time. Whatever you purchase, make sure you have an expert check it out and give it a proper set-up.

On the Vintage Modified series, the wood, hardware and electronics may be sourced to higher tolerances than the Affinity series. Maybe the wood is more stable (better grain and aging, more stable), the metal is a little more robust, maybe the tuners feel a little more solid and hold better, maybe the pickups are wound with a little more consistency? Maybe they take a little more time on the VM series to ensure the it's assembled correctly, the nut is cut right, and the frets are level? Maybe the quality control is a little tighter on the VMs, so they are more likely to reject the bad apples?

It's quite possible that you can pick up an Affinity and it will feel and sound good to you. "Out-of-the-box", I think the Affinty may need a little more TLC to make it right (with the possibility that it can't be made absolutely perfect). In my opinion, I think the VMs will be better out-of-the-box and age better in terms of playability and resale value.

I own several Squier Vintage Modified basses. I love 'em because they look good, play well, and are a good value for me. I have also played an Affinity Jazz and it was OK -- it looked and felt a little cheaper (you could tell the hardware was flimsy compared to more expensive basses).

maturanesa and alanloomis1980 like this.
  11. Just play as many as you can.
    Which flavor it is may or may not make it better over all.
    It is entirely possible to have a US Fender that has been abused or had poor QC
    or an Affinity that accidently came together perfectly.

12. The Affinity is the base model and everything else is a bit of an upgrade.

13. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    My VM had crap electronics--preamp went mad. Tells you nothing, really, but there it s.

maturanesa likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Affinities are the entry level instrument. The VMs are decent basses.

maturanesa likes this.
  15. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    VM's (and CV's) are excellent basses. Giggable with little more than new strings and a set up.

VM's are much closer to the MIM line than the Affinity's are. Affinity's are fine, but not in the same league as VM's.

Good Luck!

maturanesa likes this.
  16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    No Affinity P5 , only available VM P5 in Squier line which will discontinued soon.

maturanesa likes this.
  17. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Im hate myself for getting rid of my Maple VM P bass :(

maturanesa likes this.
  18. Different body woods if I understand correctly. Alder vs Agathis vs maple vs basswood depending on the model if I remember right. I just snatch up used mim fenders personally. Bought two different used Mexican fenders for $300 each. I’ve seen some complaints about the tuners being too cheap on the squiers.

I believe the p5 is already discontinued.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    maturanesa and Yahboy like this.
  19. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    I feel the need to chime in, although it's probably not a lot of info.....
    First off, I do not recollect ever seeing an AFFINITY Precision in a Fiver. Affinity Jazz V's, yes......
    I have bought and sold hundreds of Affinity and Vintage Modified Squier basses in the last 7 years and I have concluded this: It's a total crapshoot. There's good and bad in both series, whether sound, fit, finish, playability and setup-edness (I hereby coin that term).
    I've heard and read nothing but good reports about the VM Precision V. Now I want one. Aaahhhh, today's dosage of GAS, brought to you by our very own and influential TalkBass...........

maturanesa likes this.
  20. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    In my experience owning several of each, Squier Vintage Modified is close to Mexican Fender in terms of build quality and hardware. The Affinity line is a bit cheaper but usually still pretty good. It may come down to whether you find a good one or not but my 2015 Affinity J is honestly a great bass. It came with an alder body, a surprisingly nice rosewood fretboard and a perfect setup right out of the box.

maturanesa and Yahboy like this.