1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there any difference between the MXR M85 and MXR M84

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thedovewarlord, Jun 18, 2017.

1. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    Has anyone tried both and is there any differences in the type of distortion between these two pedals. I'm not 100% sure what the difference between distortion and fuzz so I use them interchangeably, maybe I need some help with that as well.

--thedovewarlord

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Yes there is a ton of difference and to my ears the bass distortion is a whole lot better:

3. i have the fuzz. i like it. it doesn't have that many tones, but i use it in our band. nothing that i tryed has convinced to the replace it. if i were to buy another fuzz, it would be the amptweaker bass fuzz.

i tryed the bass distortion once. it's a cool pedal. only negative thing i could say is that i only liked one of it's modes. it's sound more colorful than the bfd. i'd like to own a mxr bass distortion someday.

4. M85 - M84 = M1

Grapevine921 likes this.
  5. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    Thank you all for the responses.

@254 String -- Can you please expand on why its a whole lot better? Saw a demo clip of Chris Chaney on the BFD, seemed cool. I have a way huge swollen pickle which Ive fussed with and get some good stuff and also the tech 21 VT bass pedal but Im looking for something else, I just dont know the termonolgy enough to describe it.

The BFD seems close to what I;d like but if the bass distortion is preferred can you help me with what is more special about it?

Thank you

6. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    To my ears the fuzz was kinda harsh sounding. It was also hard to get a sound that wasn't clean bass with fizzy fuzz in the background. I was able to get a usable sound out of it but it just wasn't my favorite fuzz tone so it didn't stay on the board. The bass distortion to me just sounds better out of the box. It retains plenty of lows and doesn't even need the clean blend but mixes a lot better when you do use it.