Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is there any difference in power amplify

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. I am planning to enlarge my rig without real experience in different power amplify. I wonder if there a real difference between bass guitar amplify and pa amplify that I should account in before getting any of those.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    No. There is no real difference. Buy one of good quality and adequate power. You pay for small size and light weight.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Well do watch how their watts are rated.
    Make sure they list "RMS" and not peak or some other made up rating.

Bass Amps will usually be RMS, some cheap PA brands are made up ratings.

4. I noticed another thing is that pa amp not always has a output volume control which we would need for a bass guitar amp

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It's possible that you can control your volume with just your preamp. It would be better to have a power amp with a volume control, though - you're right.

6. Since we touch the subject of volume control.
    In the case that the power amp also has the volume control. how should we decide which one of the controls should take the control.

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    As a general rule, you want your input signal as large as possible (without overdriving) to avoid noise. Then you can control the volume with the control on the power amp.