Is there any double gig bag...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Honch, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    .. that can take two different sizes of bass instrument?

I've tried the MONO case (the one who can take two electric basses), but I want one that can take a Dingwall 37 inch scale length in the first slot and a 34 " headless graphite Steinberger type (fretless) in the other slot. I think all neck support will be wrong inside, and leaves too much space up at the headstock, or where there used to be a headstock. Does anyone know if this is possible with any of these gig bags?

I do have e-mailed MONO cases. They say "right now" it isn't possible, but hinted at that they're working on something that eventuall turns out - kind of - modular inside, i e that you can move stuff around, so the velcro strips and neck support adjusts to your instrument. Since it's not just about headless, but say any short scale bass too, and up to long scale. I know that Dingwall Combustion will fit in a regular Fender P or J gigbag anyway, so that part is already taken care of.

Anyone knows if such things exists?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I put two different sized instruments in my Mono bags all the time. I think putting a headless bass inside would be fine, especially if you'll be carrying it yourself from a home to a car.

3. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Yes, because those two instruments, a 5 er Dingwall, and a headless fretless will cover pretty much all of my bass gigs/sessions. But I've asked them via mail, they responded that the small 34 " scale headless will not be "tall" enough when reaching the neck support and velcro safety straps inside. It's the head that needs to get protetected the most in those cases (I mean gig bags). And the headless has no head so it won't "reach up" to the additional padded area. I wonder if that one will be in the risk of bouncing around inside the Mono case (or other).

The thing is, I can't get my local music shop order one just to try it out, to see if it fits properly. I could very well live with that I may have to do my own modifications to it to make this happen. But I think - that's why I was asking - if there's already another brand or gig bag model out there that lets you go modular inside, and rearrange things around to make it fit your instruments I might as well go for that one instead of the Mono bags.

I would love to have a case that is large enough for bass, but say, that double gig bag, could be re arranged inside to accomodate a dreadnought acoustic guitar (one only of course) two electric basses (long scales, short scales, headless in a mix) or one electric bass and one electric guitar, or - why not - two electric guitars. If they're big enough to carry bass guitars, they can sure fit in anything that is smaller too. The main culprit is to have - whatever you put in there - not to bounce around inside while transporting it.

Maybe some INFLATABLE thing? Some form that "blows up" and make it snugly fit around any body from of guitar and bass? :)

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021