1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there any good songs that make prominent use of a five string?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mastershake, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    I know it might not always be wise depending on situation, to go over board with lower register on a fiver, but I'm guessing certain situations might call for a bit more extensive use of the lower register on a five string.

If your going recommend something metal, I would prefer something without all the screaming.;)

2. Metallica's newer songs use it.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Quite a bit of the newer country stuff on the radio spends a fair amount of time down there on the B string. Toby Keith, Jason Aldean, Trace Adkins etc.

My band covers a couple of Jason Aldean tunes and that's some fun bass work and very well recorded (tone/mix wise) as well. I think they de-tune 1/2 step so you get even more of the effect that way.

4. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    Is there any song(s) in particular?

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    The Jason Aldean songs my band covers are "Johnny Cash" and "She's Country".

We play them in E and D respectively for the sake of our guitarists but I believe the recorded versions are in D and C#.

Trace Adkins "Brown Chicken Brown Cow" is another one we do and that is in C with a lot of the bass line being in the low octave. I only play 4-string basses so on that song I have to de-tune my E string two full steps which makes things kind of interesting for tension and fingerings but I make it work.

As for Toby Keith, "I Wanna Talk About Me" is a 5-string heavy song that comes immediately to mind.

6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    What situations exist that call for a specific instrument, period, unless you're dependent for some reason on past/existing perceptions of how to create music? How did you decide that notes below What Leo Decided Was Appropriate For His Product need to prove their worth in a tune before you used them in your own playing?

7. Are. Are. Are.

8. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    311 - Solar Flare

9. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    I think that thought crossed my mind when making this post, and was a bit hesitant when I posted it and figured I might receive some criticism for it, but I dont think I meant for that statement to be taken literally. In some songs or music we hear a bit more frequent use of the lower register of a 5 string or a low tuned bass. like in some metal or rock music were the guitars are tuned to standard C or D or there using a seven string with a low B. I'm not saying this dictates what or how you play but it may influence it, nor am I suggesting these condition must exist or be present in order for this to be true.
    I could be wrong but I think one of the characteristics of gospel music (not all) is that it often makes use of the lower notes of a five stings.

10. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I wasn't really criticizing you, and I apologize for anything that might have seemed as tho I was.

I know I could have simply said, "gospel", but it seems that bassists are the first to second guess their decisions when those decisions involve something other than a four-string fretted bass. If all we hear is what's been done before, all we'll play is what's been done before.

Play on and play well. Good luck.

11. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    not a problem, I was just curious to see how five string basses can be applied in music. Im currently a four string user and was wondering if I were to buy a new bass would it be a 5 or 4 string.

12. Tullykennedy

Tullykennedy

Oct 13, 2009
    hey guys..I use a sadowsky pj-5 on everything with aldean..standard tuning....

13. Theres almost always room for a "low B" in everything even if its used for an ending effect hahaha!!! However the "high C" string can be left at home for my taste.
    You didn't mention which 5 string application you use. Makes a huge difference. Doc

14. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    low b

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    "Save a horse ride a cowboy" can be played on a four but works much better on a five or a four tuned BEAD.

16. mcpancakes

mcpancakes

Dec 31, 2010
  17. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    The Mirror - Dream Theater.