Is there any love for LPB-1?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RickyWoo, Oct 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    I'm curious if any of you use The EXH LPB-1 boost here. I don't see too many mentions of it on the forums. I've been using one for years and have it right before my recently replaced "always on" OD in my chain. Probably the best $50 I've ever spent on a box. It's great for adding juice for when the mix bumps up a few dB. Just wondering if any of you use this pedal or if you use a dedicated boost in your chain? If so, and not the LPB-1, what boost do you use? Where do you have it in your chain?

2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    It's AWESOME, nothing comes close except spaceman stuff. @nshuman

n5b4yGB.jpg

3. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    HOLY SPACEMAN PEDALS!

That's dedication right there.

spaz21387 and jumbodbassman like this.
  4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    That's serious bank right there... @Ziltoid do you travel to gigs with a security detail?

5. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    That's not my board. I think it might have been @nshuman's board at some point.

Also the LPB-1 in there was a joke.

6. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    So.... What's your angle here? Do you use the LPB-1 or not?

7. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I don't but @nshuman had one for some time so I'm repeatedly tagging him to summon him.

RickyWoo likes this.
  8. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    It was my board until I realized that I could basically buy a small car if I sold everything on there. RIP my Spaceman collection.

9. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I don't really use boosts, but I have had an lpb1 and it was great at doing what it claims to do. you can definitely spend more, but I don't think you would need to

10. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Amazing board! Too bad you had to let it go.

11. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

I'll be honest. I had one and I found that there much better more transparent boosts. But, really, for the price, it's really not that bad. It's cool for pushing tubes or other pedals. I prefer a nice Mosfet 100% clean boost, but there is nothing wrong with the EHX pedal.

12. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I did not REALLY have to but, you know :( ... I went through some sort of existential board crisis. You wake up one day and you have 125 pedals on your office floor and are wondering how you ended up in that place.

13. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Yes, I don't use it to boost my whole signal, but to boost my Beta. It's not, not pleasing to the ears!

14. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Yeah, if you are using it to boost dirt, it's weird non-transparence sort of goes away. I had originally bought it to boost my Ashdown LB-30 to sort of make up for it's lack of gain knob.

If you ever decide that you want something more transparent, the discontinued (I mean, the whole company is gone) HBE Bajo MOS is completely transparent. You can also build one. It's basically the Jack Orman Mosfet boost circuit.

Those kinds of boosts go great before an OD, DIst, some fuzzes, tubes, etc.

On guitar, where it works better, you can use it as a line driver pedal to get a better overall tone integrity on long chains. A Bajo MOS could do that on bass. I mean, look, lots of very expensive boosts do better, but at a crazy higher price point.

15. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    For sure! Like said... $50. I know I could spend way more, but I don't need boost that bad (if at all, really?). It was just a happy finding when I experimented with it years ago after I unloaded all my guitars. It's proven useful for what I've said but I have no use at all for an upgrade.

nshuman likes this.
  16. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    I've been using mine for years. Love it to death. My wren and cuff Phat phuk b has been nudging it off the board lately though

17. I use one to boost the signal in front of an envelope filter such as the Emma Discumbobulator or MXR M82, when playing through a low output passive bass (the LPB-1 opens up the filter a treat), so yes a very useful little pedal.

RickyWoo and superheavyfunk like this.
  18. ^ Same as above. I use one to boost my green russian small stone. Does the trick.

19. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I have one of the original ones from the early 70s, before the era of the stomp box. It would have been plugged directly into an amp or guitar and just a volume knob. Its on a board of mine, immediately behind the tuner and compressor as an always on thing, boosting everything. It's really helped to open up a lot of effects and make them more dynamic. It's a great "pedal" and its tiny! Like, a quarter of the size of the modern LPB1.

20. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    [​IMG]
    I got this boost for 130$~, handmade locally. Its the only boost I have owned, has a huge volume range and I almost never have to turn it past 50%.

There isn't as big a difference between modern and vintage as I had hoped but there is a subtle one. Modern is more compressed and tight and vintage is warm.