1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there any negative effects to using different brand heads and cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nerevar, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Nerevar

Nerevar

Jun 10, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    I've been wanting a peavey tour 115 and 210 lately, they are super lightweight and sound awesome, but I also want a Mesa M6 Carbine. I was told that mixing the two wouldn't be a good idea, as I would get audio lag from them not being built to be used together or something.

Would I get any sound loss or lag using the two together, or any amp head/cab together, for that matter? Or is that just bologna?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Who the hell came up with this "audio lag" nonsense? You'd get more "audio lag" from using a 210 with a 115 more than you would switching amps. People mix and match heads/cabs all the time. I find it better to use matching cabs because non-matching cabs can lead to phasing issues (not in every case but it does happen), but switching the head out...nah, that's fine.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds like it would sound terrific to me.
    I use a Mesa Titan with a Bergantino cab(they don't build amp heads) and it sounds wonderful.
    I also use a Gallien Krueger thru an Aguilar GS212 and they may as well be made for one another..... sound that good together.
    Whoever told you that either doesn't know what they're talking about, or trying to make a sale.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Huh? Audio lag? Whoever told you that doesn't know what the heck he's talking about.

Here's what you do need to know: the Carbine isn't going to sound the same as whatever head you tried with the 115 and 210. It will be a different experience than whatever you're hearing now. Most stores usually maintain demo rigs in which the cabs and amps are the same brand. If you love the sound of a Carbine through a Mesa cab, you might not feel the same way about the Carbine with those Peavey cabs. It comes down to personal preference. I'd suggest trying out the exact combo you're lusting after, just to be sure it works for you.

The person you talked to is probably of the camp that prefers to not mix brands - you know, Mesa amps only with Mesa cabs, etc. Either that, or he's a a sheep. :D

Peavey is often frowned upon by gear snobs who think that quality gear doesn't exist under the $1k mark. Although I'm not a Peavey fan, I've usually been surprised by the quality of their higher-end gear.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Yup, the "audio lag" bit is nonsense. Occasionally you will come across a head and cabs that don't work particularly well together (for your particular tonal needs) but that has to do with the individual voicings of each head and cab and can occur within heads and cabs of the same brand.

6. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    My M6 sounds killer thorough my Genz Benz cabs. Your best bet will be to physically try the pairing before you buy it, one way or the other. I would definitely recommend the M6 - get that, and then tote it around to every store in the area until you find a cab/cabs that you're happy with.

7. Audio Lag.............................very amusing

8. Nerevar

Nerevar

Jun 10, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Yeah, I would definitely give it a try before buying it. I'm not sure how they will sound together yet, I might like it, or I might not.

I thought it might have been BS, but I thought I would check first, to get a second opinion.

9. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    A digital signal processor (DSP) will usually introduce a small amount of time delay (typically on the order of a few milliseconds, or roughly the time it takes for sound to travel a few feet), but amplifiers with an analog signal path for all practical purposes do not, to the best of my knowledge. Filters like tone controls will introduce some phase shift, but that's not the same as a time delay.

10. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    if u believe in audio lag i got some ocean front property in arizona i'll sell you

11. Although OP didn't say who told him this...

A few months ago a Guitar Center employee told me and my drummer..."you'll want this PA head, because you don't want to underpower your speakers"...

I pictured the same idiot talking about "audio lag", in the same tone of voice... you know that tone, when someone is so certain that they know what they are talking about? Yeah... THAT. *cringes*

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I've come across quite a few ill-informed GC employees like that (my favorite being the oddballs behind the effects pedal counter who panic when you want to use a "guitar" pedal with bass).

But let's not turn this into another GC employee bashing thread. We have plenty of those threads around already. :D

13. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Wow ... did the "audio lag" wizard try to sell you a $400 power cord?

:rollno:

14. theres nothing wrong with mixing and matching amps and cabs. thats what most people do.

15. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    complete BS

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Audio Lag is when you used to sell cars and now work in a music store and say poopiee you think sounds true but isn't true in any universe or at anytime. Your tongue knows better so the slur factor kicks in...the "fast talker" is an attempt to deal with "audio lag".

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good stuff.

18. Well actually that is quite an astute observation by the employee, as you most definitely do not want to "underpower" your speakers.

Believe it or not, sometimes less power hurts them more than the other....

19. So who told you this, the same guy who told the OP about time lag? Do a search for "underpowering". You'll be 30 by the time you finish reading all the threads!!

Seriously, while severely underpowering a speaker system can cause bad sound, it's not a factor in "harming" a speaker. Most speaker failure is caused by severely overpowering...

20. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    ^^^^
    If I had the time and photoshop skills, I'd post a picture of this:
    [​IMG]

But with Bill Fitzmaurice's name instead of the Batman logo.