1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there any overdrive pedal like this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ihaveaquestion, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    An overdrive with blend, 3 or 4 band eq, and on which the eq only affects the overdriven tone. For example: cutting the low mids on the eq, so the low mids come only from the dry signal while overdriving the other bands. I'Ve seen it on 2 bands but not 3 or 4

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The one overdrive I can think of is the darkglass vintage deluxe.

ihaveaquestion likes this.
  3. The MXR Blowtorch kinda works like that, but it isn't precisely an overdrive, though it *can* achieve an overdriveish tone if you take some time with the knobs.

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    any 3 or 4-band-EQ overdrive + Boss LS-2 to blend in a clean signal.

yes i know that's probably not the answer you were looking for. but it works! :)

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I thought the EQ affects the whole signal on this pedal.

6. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    Yeah, i think the EQ on the darkglass pedals is a master EQ. Well, we can just ask @Darkglass

7. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    Source Audio Aftershock has all those features and more.

8. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    I actually liked this idea more because i can for example add an eq on the clean signal, and a higher octave on the overdriven, and many more possibilities. thanks for the tip.

knumbskull likes this.
  9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The eq basically affects the overdriven signal of the pedal. leaving the clean signal unaffected.

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That's a good choice too. with the source audio app, you can sculpt your distorted bass sound. overdrive, distortion, fuzz. either one, this pedal can give you sounds you're looking for.

11. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    Or run two engines in parallel. One distortion, the other clean and sculpt each one to your liking with the EQ and other options for each engine.

Crystalman85 and ihaveaquestion like this.
  12. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Something like this?

qf2frontmed.

-Frank

13. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    ihaveaquestion and knumbskull like this.
  14. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    The Rusty Box is sort-of like this in that the EQ is pre- the 3-band overdrive circuit, so that by say cutting mids the mid-band can be cleaner than the other two.

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That works too. any distortion pedal with a blender pedal also works. but so do bass overdrive and distortion pedals since they have blend controls.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018 at 3:36 AM
  16. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    There seems to be a misunderstanding: you do can do that with one pedal - the Aftershock. Both engines can be run and configured in the Aftershock. No additional pedal is needed.

17. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I wasn't actually referring to the aftershock. I was actually referring to any other distortion pedal with a blender pedal can also give you a distorted bass sound that doesn't obliterate low-ends. I must of said it the wrong way on my last post. I can fix that. my apologies for the confusion.

18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    It's not an all in one pedal solution, but you could put an eq pedal in the dirty loop of an EBS Billy Sheehan drive pedal.

Otherwise, there's the Suncoast preamp pedals, that like the EBS, are voiced and based on the vintage Pierce preamps. These have blendable clean and dirty channels.

wmmj and ihaveaquestion like this.
  19. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Empress Multi-Drive... and it does fuzz and distortion.

Multidrive_-_Top_grande.

wmmj and ihaveaquestion like this.