Is there any particular year you'd like to relive?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Sep 3, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

I was just thinking about this and a search didn't give me satisfying results. I'd like to know if, from all of the years in your life, there's one that you remember as the happiest. I mean, one that makes you think something like "Aahh... life seemed so easy then...". Maybe a difficult answer because all of us have lived special moments at any time in our lives, but try to think of a year as a whole. To me, it's 1982. I was fifteen, in tenth grade at high school, and there were so many events in that year that today make me feel very nostalgic:

-The Spain 1982 Soccer World Cup, although I'm not a soccer fan (not a sports fan, actually) but I like the world cup and that one has a special place in my memory, maybe because it was the first time that a high quality stickers album for that event was released here and also because the championship's pet, "Naranjito" ("Little Orange") was so cool to me. The TV broadcast (the first world cup in color here) was great, also.

-It was my first encounter with the class of chemistry at high school and I liked it a lot. I was very good at it. Instead, I hated physics.

-Rubik's Cube. I could put the six sides in order after one and a half minute.

- By the end of the year, my dad bought our first video game console: The popular Atari 2600. Before that day (When my brothers and me showed him our final grades and he agreed to give us the Atari), I went to a friend's house to play. When we got our own, it was like a dream for me. I think this is the main reason because those were so good times for me. I enjoyed those video games a lot.

Again, there are many events like our first girlfriend/boyfriend, our first bass (or the day we decided to play that instrument)... but maybe they're isolated happenings that took place in different years and can't make one happy year as a whole. So what's yours? Thank you in advance for your input! :)
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    8th or 9th grade.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Senior year in high school... just, everything went all too well, so perfect, so nice of a time. I honestly wish I could've lived in that year forever... or at least, that one thing didn't change from then to now...

4. So far, nothing that I'd like to relive. Restart and re-do, however, I can name many...
  5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

OK, but what year? Maybe I should mention that I'd like to compare what was happening in my life when yours was so great (or if I hadn't born yet).
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Would've been the middle of '03 through the middle of '04. I had everything:
    A pair of bands. One dang good one, one decent one (just starting).
    A wonderful, supporting and loving woman beside me.
    Friends like crazy...
    And life was just easy for me then. My bands were doing OK, my schooling was going well, and my job was just normal. I don't really know how else to put it... I just wish I could either go back and live that kind of life once again, or somehow get myself to that point in life where everything is as nice as it once was. It's already been 14 months though, and I still don't have a band, nor a girlfriend, and not near as many friends either. I guess moving 1,000 miles away, coupled with stupid ass decisions do that to ya though... and the best year was folloed by the worst, though I'm keeping my head up now, and looking for the goods in life :).

7. I think that at my age, I'm basically near my prime, and so my best years are still ahead of me (if not passing me by at this very moment). As I previously mentioned, there's a lot I'd like to redo, and possibly improve upon. A lot of this has to do with immaturity and lack of understanding. Obviously, I was very young and naive, but my high school years were some that I wish I could have followed differently. Most of these years involved conflicts with girls and band members. Looking back, I would have done things much differently and probably have changed my life for the better. Of course, it's a very futile idea.

More recently, my last semester was pretty horrid - I almost gave up halfway through the semester, and though I passed every course, I figure I could have done a much better job. I just hope that it hasn't compromised any of my dreams and university goals.

Life is filled with regret. It's pretty sad if you think about it. I'm probably just rambling at the moment, but then again, as I said, my years are (hopefully) still ahead of me, and I'm doing my best to enjoy what I'm experiencing and looking forward to the future.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would like to relive my senior year in high school so I could nail high school chicks again.
  9. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Dude, you can still do that. I'm not planning on stopping any time soon ;)

In all seriousness, this year. I would've done a lot of things differently, mostly having to do with my ex-girlfriends.
  10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    For me it would probably be 1993.

That was one of the most fun years in my life.

I was in college and did well, me and my friends held many marathon parties which are simply unforgettable etc.

So much fun was had that year.
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Tossup between 1988 and 1989. Senior year in high school and first year in college. Good times.
  12. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    2003/2004 or 2004/2005. :)
  13. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US