1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there any patience left in the world of instructional material?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bardolph, May 6, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    You know, it's been really getting to me to see all these videos and such that have some sort of message like "learn guitar fast" or "teach yourself how to play bass like a pro in X number of lessons." I find things like that very insulting to musicians. The message it sends is that musicians' skills aren't the result of lots of work and practice, it's just some "trick" you can learn. They're always saying things like finding out the trick or the secret behind something, like music is some big magic trick that will be simple once you're in on it. This kind of stuff has been talked about a lot, I know, but it's just getting out of hand. I've recently been trying to learn to play the piano, and I really want to learn to play like a legit player, and I do plan on lessons when I have the time. For now, just poking around on the net, most of what I run into is this "piano made simple" kind of stuff. That undermines all the great piano players out there. It's like advertising "how to be smart without thinking." But I guess as long as human beings act like human beings and seek out the shortest and easiest path that's the stuff that will sell. I just don't think it's good at all for how the world of music is regarded.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It's not an insult, it's not a shortcut, and it's not undermining musicians' hard work. It's a gimmick. How many guitar virtuosos do you know that learned from one of those x-step tutorials?

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well I'm not saying that it is a shortcut, just that that's how they advertise it. But I think that's a really good point about virtuosos. When I was in jazz band and we would go to clinics, any great player would say the same thing about how he learned- listened to other great players.

4. as you probably already know, our culture is one of instant gratification...If i am going to learn piano, i don't want to work at it, i want to play beethoven NOW!
    i doubt that any of the greats were great their first couple years in. Even in Jaco's biography Bill Milkowski did say that Jaco practiced his bass often

5. paintballjunkie

paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    Indiana
    some of them really work, though. i learned how to play by taking a pill that let me develop my skills while i sleep.:)