Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there any reason why not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Desire, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Just wanted to ask if there is any reason why I can't take my Ibanez 4 string and string it with the 4 bottom strings from a 5 string set, so it would be the same as a 5 string but lose the G string? So the string setup would be B,E,A,D. The reason why I want to do this is because I like the slim neck of the 4 string but want a B string. About the only thing I can think of I might have to get the action adjusted for the strings. Anyone out there done this before? :help:

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It can be done. The only things are that you may need a new nut put in, as the strings will be bigger than the nut slots once you move from EADG to BEAD, a new setup as you mentioned, and it's best if your bass has a very sturdy neck to help ensure a taught B string

3. yes, one of my bass heros (tim commerford) does that.

btw, i think there is a sticky in the setup forum telling how you can tune BEAD

4. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Thanks guys,
    I went out and got a set of 5 strings (D'Addario's Slowounds) and the cool thing about this is on the back of the package they have a chart of gauges and the tuned tension in pounds. I"ll try these out in a while, right now I got a set GHS Bass Boomers heavy gauge that I just strung last night and want to try them out and so far I really like what I'm hearing and feeling.
    If things work out later on with the BEAD setup then I'll just go and get another bass and string it like that, my buddy Al says if I need he can set the action on the bass.
    Again thanks for your input

Desire

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles