1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there any reason why you shouldn't use standard scale strings with a shortscale bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Dec 23, 2016.

1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    The Fender Mustang P/J I bought, and it seems many others that have shipped, have full scale strings on them. It sounds fine, they play fine, is there any reason I need to buy shortscale strings when I replace them?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Majority of strings will break when the full size section wraps around the tuning post.

If they don't for you, great!

Usually the ones that don't are a very light gauge and round wound.

3. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    It's not string through.

4. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    These are roundwound and they're 45-105, but it seems they didn't give the full wrap as mine have like 1 and a half wraps around.

I've seen others who have proper wraps, though, people shared pics in the Mustang P/J thread.

I suppose Fender ran out of, or had too much stock of standard strings and didn't bother with short scale strings on this run of basses.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Picture of headstock tuners from the side please?

6. I broke an E string trying to put long scale strings on a short scale bass.
    The fat part of the string would barely go through the tuning post & then it was too stiff to wrap around the post & just broke.

zontar likes this.
  7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Stiffer flat wounds present the biggest risk of breaking an E string especially on a small diameter post. Round wounds on what appears to be sort of a medium diameter post shouldn't be any problem at all. Fender doesn't seem to think so either. From their website:
    Fender Mustang PJ headstock.
    Being able to use 34" scale strings is a very good thing as it increases your options many times over. Only short scale basses I've ever had real issues with are Jerry Jones with those teeny guitar tuners and it can be a total pain in the butt. Fortunately GHS and D'addario make pretty usable non body-through 30" scale sets both round and flat.

8. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    dscn2568-.

9. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    You're not Angelcrusher!

AngelCrusher likes this.
  10. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Wouldn't the tension be slightly lower? Not that it's a big deal...

11. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    Ive had GHS Flat wounds on my MIM Jazz for over a year and the silk is wrapped around the E post so that there is bare metal of the string around to 7 o'clock as you look at it ....there is a bit of spread of the flat ribbon, but it works fine

fretlessguy likes this.
  12. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    And I dare say, good sir, it is you wearing the mask. Bandito!

wintremute likes this.
  13. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Talk to me about that. This Mustang P/J plays great and sounds solid. How would lowering the tension or raising the tension on a shortscale affect tone and playability?

14. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    @BusyFingers I think it's still playable, it's only a few lbs. of tension. I don't have enough experience to comment on any tone difference, though. I imagine it would affect sustain a tiny bit

15. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Ah, an unfortunate turn of events... My apologies to the offended parties. I merely did a google image search for bass picture and found this suitably-sized graphic.

Ok, you can now see the reflection of Talkbass.com off my pickguard. I tried to get my fingers to come across blurry, but it didn't quite come out. I assure you that I am keeping my fingers busy in bass practice.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  16. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    You're a good sport! Merry Christmas.

BusyFingers likes this.
  17. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I use longscales on my birdsong and cij mustang, shortscales on my SG.

18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    captain obvious swoops in to say: don't cut tapewounds short below their silks!

(it seemed like a good idea at the time...)

19. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    And to you, too, good sir!

wintremute likes this.
  20. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    The tension should only depend on the string gauge/mass, vibrating length, and frequency. The string mass or length outside the vibrating part, behind the nut and bridge, doesn't change the tension.

Groove Doctor likes this.