1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is there any resource like this?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mr mastodon, Sep 29, 2010.

1. i've gotten countless bass books with great exercises but none that match the idea i have in my head.

the idea is, to familiarize myself with the fingerboard, i was hoping for a diagram or something of a chord in every position with perhaps just one shift if necessary. i feel like when i see Ebmaj7 i'm always playing in the same box in half position. if i'm feeling crazy i grab the high Eb on the G string by the crook of the neck and walk down the G in a scalar fashion.

is there anything out there like this? i've been looking at getting mr. morton's arpeggio book from ASODB. but everytime i see arpeggio exercises they skip positions like no one's business.

thanks!

if i have to map it out myself painstakingly, that's fine. just wondering if there's anything else.

2. Create your own exercises. When you see that Eb maj7 next time, stop (if you can) and figure out as many different ways to lead into it, to play it, and to lead out of it as you possibly can. Practice the scale in different positions, different fingerings, 3rds 4ths 5ths 6ths 7ths, different bowings (that opens up a whole other can...)

When i solo with a group and mess up, or rather, fail to execute a specific rhythmic/melodic idea as i hear it in my head perfectly, i make a mental note of it. Next time i practice i think about the lick i was going for, slow the tempo down as much as needed, then practice playing it in different positions, different fingerings, different keys, bowings, etc etc etc etc..... then bring it up to tempo which would be, as fast as i can physical play it correct 100% of the time.

That has technique has gotten me exponentially farther then anything from any book has.

3. Here's an excercise I used to help with this

Divide the fretboard into 4 (or more) positions (i.e. 1st to 4th fret, 5th to 8th fret, 9th to 12th and 13th to 16th etc)

Decide on one position and don't allow yourself to move from it.

Play the ionian mode in every key in that one position. You'll have to break up the scale into different octaves at times.

Repeat this excercise with every mode in each position

4. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I would just do you scales and exercises in different positions forcing youself into these positions. I'm in this process myself. When ever I find myself in a box of ideas though I transcribe something that sounds fresh to my ears. Finding the obvious position that the transcribed line must have been in is also a good way to get out of half position

5. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Try to play what you hear in your head. I feel like the academia gets in the way. That said, for the purpose described in the original post I would recommend Vade Mecum (Carl Fischer).

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021