1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there any such thing as a light weight Jazz Bass for under a grand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I absolutely love Jazz basses. I've had a bunch, and my current one is a Japanese Geddy Lee with EMGs and a bass extender key. The neck is the most comfortable and effortless to play of any Jazz I've ever laid my hands on and sounds fantastic. Everything you'd ever want in a Jazz Bass and more...much more...as in weight. It runs around 10 pounds which is murder on my upper back, even with a Comfort Strapp. Does anyone make a lighter weight Jazz for under $1000? I know the higher end builders can get as low as 7.5 lbs, even on a 5 string...but that will run you over $2000, which isn't in my budget. Just throwing it out there.

2. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Road Worn....Forget everything you hear about these basses and go try one for yourself..probably the best Jazz bass out there at the moment inspite of the crummy relic effect. I had one, featherlight and was probably the nicest bass I've ever owned. Sold it cause I dont really like Jazzes..and got a P/J instead.

3. You can find Fender jazz basses in the 8 lb. range if you just hunt around. Most music stores have scale of some kind so you can get a general idea.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If you dig everything else about your Geddy-sig, how about a new body for your neck, electronics and hardware?

I've had great results with two different Mighty Mite bodies. Both swamp ash, both beautiful grains (if you want a trans-finish) and both very lightweight. My most recent parts-bass Jazz weighs-in at exactly 8lbs.

Mind you, the Hipshot aluminum bridge and ultralight tuners may have a bit to do with it. Also, there's a wee lil' bit of routing under the pickguard to fit in a Precision pickup at the neck position. But if the body were a heavy beast, I'm sure it'd knock the weight up into the 10lb range.

ProjektBlue03_zps7d4a1dfe.

Mike Sorr likes this.
  5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Gamma jazz weighs 7lbs. and was WAY under a grand. Gamma bass 001.JPG

Mike Sorr and jamro217 like this.
  6. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    This is also my story almost exactly...

Also fender mb4 or mb5. Super light. And sound great. Discontinued but can be found for about $350 from time to time.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    I keep hearing how lightweight the Road Worn basses are, yet I've only seen evidence to the contrary.

Here's a Road Worn Jazz at Sweetwater. 9 lb. 5 oz.

Here's an American Standard Jazz at Sweetwater. 8 lb. 6 oz.

I've done this experience a few times over the past 6 months or so and the Road Worn models never seem to be any lighter as a rule than your other Jazz variants (or Road Worn P vs Standard P, same result).

8. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    This. I hear good things about Americsn Specisl and 70s Classic too.

9. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

That is one cool lookin' bass.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Maybe an Aerodyne, used. J-basses are generally heavier than P-basses.

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    My geddy is light maybe i got lucky. Mine weighs 9 pounds 2 ozs

12. Mike Sorr

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I've been speaking with Joe at Gamma and may have him build me something. He says he can make a Jazz at 7.1 lbs with a Geddy like neck, my choice of colors. If he can do that for under a grand, I'm in.

13. Mike Sorr

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I have an American Special Precision that is under 8 pounds, but I recently sold an AmSpec Jazz that was quite a bit heavier. Not as heavy as my Geddy, but not light either.

14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    AFAIK, the Aerodyne is the lightest production Jazz out there, and a superb bass in every respect. Sounds great, fast neck, super light, well balanced, no brainer.

blindrabbit, Shardik and obimark like this.
  15. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    Fender Japan made a model late 80s early 90s IIRC called a Jazz Lite I think

Weird in that the body was P like with PJ pups passive and weighed nothing <7lbs

I had a fretless for years and played it 5-6 nights/week as go to - wish I still had it

16. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

If you are loving the Geddy except the body weight, why not swap the body out for one that is of a lighter wood?

Pet Sounds and blindrabbit like this.
  17. MalakTheMad - love seeing your "blue beauty", again. Sweet.

18. I guess if you buy a custom shop model or an American Vintage Series the chance that it is lightweight is very high. On some CS-models it is secure (Fender advertises them as leightweight).
    But if you try a lot of different basses you will find lightweight ones.
    Fender simply doesn't care about the weight in their mass produced basses.
    And there are still people, who believe that heavy weight ash bodies have a certain sound quality. Why shouldn't Fender make them happy?

For example I have a MIJ '70s Jazz Bass with an ash body, very similar to the Geddy Lee, and it weighs less than many of my alder basses.
    Just try different ones.

19. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    My Aerodyne is probably 7 lbs couple of ounces. Probably will not be gigging any other basses as it is quite good.

blindrabbit and Gilmourisgod like this.