Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there any "tailor-made" strings manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by andruca, Apr 22, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'll explain my case so everybody gets my point. I have this very strange instrument that happens to be a mix between a 4/4 scale upright bass (42") and the feel of a fretless bass (in sound -but with a more acoustic tone- and playability). I'm not a double bass player and so found terribly difficult (and hamful, in fact) to use standard double bass strings. So I had an argentinian manufacturer made some standard .040 .060 .080 .100 nickel roundwound set with the extra length needed for my instrument's scale. The thing is I lived there until 2003 so I could go to the factory and buy them there (in fact, dealing with the owner himself) but he is not able to do thes kind of custom strings for me anymore. So, does any of you know of any string manufacturer that can provide me with 42" scale length (plus 10 extra inches because of tailpiece and tuner winding) BASS strings? It can be anywhere in the world, just has to be able to send them to Madrid (Spain). Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I can't guarantee that this company will be able to do what you want for sure, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. They're small and fairly responsive, and located in the United Kingdom:

Newtone Strings
    http://www.dwmee.34sp.com/

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Check with Fodera. They do their own string winding, and may take custom orders.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    You also could try upright bass solo strings or make a set out of a upright bass A,D,G and high C, that should be lose enough.

By the way, what exactly is the instrument, I'd love to see a picture.