Is there any thing quicker or as quick as GK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, Mar 20, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I haven't played anything that matches the dynamics, responsiveness and over all quickness of GK. Are there any other amps out there that take the challenge.:meh:
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Genz Benz.

"quickness" has more to do with loudspeakers than amp.
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've never played a Glockenlang or an EBS

the GK still seems faster and louder than the SWR's and the ashdown's I've played.

I know the quickness of your speakers have a lot to do with dynamics but I think that high current adds to it.
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i have no idea what quickness is:meh:
  5. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Play a GK and you will.
  6. Jbass987

Mar 20, 2002
    Rapid City, SD
    I'll second that!
  7. High curent? I never really understood this. A GK amp will put out the same current as any other equally powerful amp into the same load impedence, unless GK have found a way to circumvent Ohm's law....

This is not a bash on GK, I like their amps...
    Quickness is a function of speaker cone mass, magnet strength, cabinet design and damping factor
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He probably means solid state preamp vs. tube/hybrid preamp.

The slew rate of pretty much any solid state power amp is fast enough.
  9. Slew rates on most tube amps are adequately fast too. I'd consider any "slowness" or sloppiness from tube amps a function of their low damping factors more than anything...
  10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    been there done that. i still dont know what quickness is in terms of amps.
  11. I take it to mean a fast , clear attack . Tubes sound a bit muddy to me .
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  13. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    that's what I'm talking about! sorry about the mix up between high current power and stuff. I was always told that the reason for Gk's quick responsive tone was because the high current power. Also I think that is what their website says aswell.

Can you explain this dampening factor thing?

and what do you guys mean when you say slew rate?
  14. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    this was right off of the GK website:

Our amplifiers typically develop five to ten times the current required for their power rating, and there for sound great even into the rails. We accomplish this by using extra output devices, high current toroid power transformers.

anyone care to explain:confused:
  15. I think it means that some amps cut off notes if they require a lot of power , like a really low B or a ball-achingly high C etc

GK amps have massive power output thanks to Toroidal transformers so those notes don't get cut off. I just bought a 2nd hand 2000rb , and I'd vouch for this.
  16. I think what GK is trying to get across is that they can put out enormous current for short periods of time - headroom I guess. With huge caps in the power supply and a big toroid transformer you can do this. Slew rate is more a function of the amplifier circuit itself. I would imagine that the "house curve" of their amps would accentuate what you hear as quickness too.

I bought a non-working GK 200rcb head a while back. I'm slowly getting around to fixing it, and should have it going shortly, which is a good thing cuz the only other amp I have now is a huge home-built tube thing that doesn't work right. So I guess I'll see what I think for myself soon. The 800rb I had for awhile was like that too. Lots of presence and what I think of as "hifi" sound. I prefer something a little warmer.

Stay low,

17. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I recently compared the preamp in my GK mbe150 with my aggie DB659 and noticed a difference in the initial attack- even when I had EQed them to sound as close as possible to each other. The aggie had a softer more blossoming attack. It gave a pleasant bounce to each note. The GK had a harder, quicker more metallic feeling attack. I preferred the aggies attack in my bedroom a/b test although the quick attack of the GK might help cut through a dense mix.
  18. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I for one am very eager for them to finally realease the pre-amp they've been working on for awhile now. I think if it produces the GK "hi-fi" sharp attack tone well it'll match my current Mesa 400+ as a nice addition to the Mesa's warmth.....mmmmmGravy.:p