Is there any way purchasing instrument by private people?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by semborg, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Is there any other way to be guaranteed that you will get your product when you buy an instrument from a private guy?

I am talking in case of shipping/Transporting the instrument to you.

Is the only way to set the money on the persons account?
    That's a big risk to me. or?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Ask him to ship it C.O.D. (cash on delivery) = "postförskott". You pay when you receive the object. If you don't get the object, the seller won't get any money. Shipping C.O.D. will cost a little bit more, but if the object in question is worth anything, it's the only way to go, IMO.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm sorry but I don't ship COD.
  4. I really don't think so. Most of the risk is on the buyers side. That's why you should only trust buying products from a reputable seller. Ebay or any other privet seller.

I sell a lot of products online in my job (automotive parts) and I do not have COD as an option either, and If I were to sell something on my own I don't think I would ship COD as well. Unfortunately as an online merchant you are a target for fraud and there are a lot of dishonest people out there. UPS has an option to ship COD and only pick up a bank check (money order) but even those can be counterfeited.

So, If you have no way of getting a profile or history from a privet seller or any way of tracking who or where they are, I would most defiantly pass. Also, if you are unsure of who you are buying from, the best rule is, If the deal is too good to be true, it usually is.
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    If you use Pay-pal to purchase and list a credit card that has warranties that gives you some recourse from the credit card company. If it's Ebay and they have a ton of feedback that probably means their getting some substantial income from Ebay, most of those guys don't want bad feedback. But the real key is price, Watch auctions and get a feel for what a real good price is. If you buy at the right price and you don't like it, you can always turn it for what you paid for it or a profit. I did that with an Amp recently. I knew it was a popular item, I knew I had seen it for more dollars many times, and figured if it didn't work out I could always turn it and get what I paid. Also as someone who sells a lot, demand insured shipping, most shipping companies won't ship an incorrectly packed item if it's insured. As a seller I want that protection too when I ship.
  6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I will say that I've done more than my share of transactions including bass trades and purchases right here on TB and on DP and have not had one bad experience. I've been lucky on Ebay too, but have had a couple things marginally misrepresented on Ebay but have never been totally screwed. If the communication is good, you've checked out feedback, you're usually going to be OK.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    semborg is thinking of buying an instrument from me and it seems to me that he is worried that I'm going to rip him off.

I can understand his fears and no matter what anyone of us is going to tell him about all of the totally positive feedback on my business, basses and buyers posted on TalkBass, he is going to worry.

I'm going to have to say that you need to find a local builder or a bass shop that is local to you so you can feel safe with your transaction.
  8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

you can check Nino's feedback right here on TalkBass ...

as a customer of Valenti , i can say that you will be very
    happy with the transaction .
    good customer relations is something Nino is very well know for ...

he builds a high quality product and is very honorable in business .
  9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    You can trust Nino.

And his instruments are awesome.
  10. Yepp, I will buy this bass from Nino.

You know I am just a really careful person.
    But after reading all positive things about nino and his basses I start to think I am kind of stupid. I should treat him with more respect and not being that scared you know.

So, soon I am a happy Valenti owner :hyper:
  11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Nino, Has gotten fantastic reviews here, and while I haven't had any personal experience with them, my friends who have, RAVE about them. I plan to be talking to him at some point about a 4 string my self. Nino is also an employee of Sadowsky and Roger doesn't hire and keep poor quality employees. This I can attest too, as I have had several experiences with Sadowsky, all positive and I have a feeling Nino probably checked and packed some of those orders himself (does Metro 3 of 10 RV5 from Namm ring a bell Nino?). Nino's been learning from the best, I'm sure his work will speak for itself, and his prices are in the range of factory built Fenders, no comparison, no worries IMHO.
  12. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    C.O.D 's are very liked, since it takes the seller two weeks to get the cash. If its a someone like Nino, who owns a business, you shouldnt have anything to worry about. If its someone who is just selling a used bass, its normal it be a bit careful
  13. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Caution does not equal stupidity.

You wont be disapointed in your decision to purchase a Valenti. He's a standup guy with an excellent product.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I understand the the reservations, especially with the international twist....

Here is my Nino story :p

I met Nino on Talkbass a couple years ago and spoke some via AOL instant messenger since that time. One day a few month ago, he asked if I would be willing to review one of his basses for him. Me, a nobody of a player... I was shocked. He was sending it to Jeff (embellisher) first and would send it to me after Jeff was done. In the waiting time, I've talked to him about how much I dug his band (if you've not heard Theorem... you NEED too)... not much longer after that, I got in the mail a copy of both his demos :bassist:

Well I met him in person for the first time @ the NYC GTG last weekend and as I was leaving... he handed off his green 5 string to me. His only remark was a quick instruction on how to pad the case "when you are ready to ship it back". (it's a killer bass as was his blue 4 string P bass... I LOVED playing it through my tube rig @ the GTG!)

Anyway, Someone as trusting as Nino Valenti surely doesn't have the ability to rip people off in my opinion and experiences!!!

What bass are you looking to buy?
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

Send the money. Nino has an impeccable reputation here. Even if he did screw you, his loss would be much greater than yours, because a significant part of his customer base resides right here at TB. We trust him. We have to trust him. He has prima nocturne on all the basses we buy from Roger. So go for it. Nino will take care of you.

~ Munji
  16. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Nino built 2 pickguards for me. Both transactions went smoothly. There should be absolutely NO qualms about working a transaction with Nino.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  18. It's a lot of trouble, but if you can manage to kidnap their kids and put them in escrow that should do it.