1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there any way to put an ipod and my bass through the same input?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greekorican, Oct 24, 2009.

1. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    I have a Hartke Kickback 12, which has only one input jack, and no cd in. When I learn a song by ear, I do it at my computer, which isn't exactly ideal. My desk setup is really cramped, and I bang up my bass quite a bit on my desk and walls, not to mention the computer is a distraction. I'm also buying an Ipod Touch, which has a ton of cool music related apps, like a metronome. A metronome played through the amp would be so convenient, because if I play even slightly loud, it gets drowned out. I'd love to be able to keep the metronome and my bass at equal volumes, regardless of how loud the amp is turned up.

Its not the end of the world if I can't do this, but there must be some kind of adapter that would let me do this. Think the opposite of a headphone splitter jack. Seems to me that a headphone splitter jack would work, but instead of plugging it into the output, I plug it into an input jack. Is that right? I just want to know for sure before I go blow some money at radio shack.

Thanks

2. eggfan

eggfan

Sep 20, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Small mixer?

3. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    I use a small 4 channel mixer, can be had for $50 or less. I think if you try to just join the two channels with an adaptor the levels won't match, so you have to have a mixer or such..

4. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would grab a Tascam Bass Trainer....I love mine!

5. eggfan

eggfan

Sep 20, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm planning on getting one myself, but it is a couple hundred bucks investment.

6. I just put the Ipod buds in my ears, then use a pair of full size phones over those, plugged into my practice amp. perfect!

7. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    I thought about a mixer, but an adapter would be much cheaper, so long as it works. And as far as the levels not matching, there is a volume control on the ipod. I'll bet it would work, unless there is something I'm overlooking.

8. steverosati

steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    Get a Y spliter from radio shack it will work you just have to control the volume on the Ipod, much cheaper then a mixer.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    does the kickback have an effects loop with an effects blend knob?

if so, that's a little mixer. with the appropriate adapters plug the ipod into the effects return jack. use the effects blend knob to mix volumes between your bass (to the left or "dry") and the ipod (to the right or "wet")

10. Shaky

Shaky

Jul 6, 2006
    Roanoke, VA
    I made a setup one time doing just what you described except with a cassette player. I actually had the splitter set up on the headphone jack of the practice amp so that the amp out and the cassette out ran into the headphones input. My set-up might have been the exception to the rule, but I was able to adjust the levels just fine without a mixer. I had no idea if my setup was going to work or not and it took me some experimenting to find the right combination, but I figured it was worth the gamble of my less then $10 investment. The worse that could happen is I would have some plugs and adapters I could probably find another use for.

Let us know what you end up finding to work for you.

11. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    Nope, no effects loop. Its got an input, headphone jack, and direct out. I think I'm gonna get a Y splitter at radio shack when they open. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

12. steverosati

steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    it will work fine I use one when I have to share an input with a student,drum machine or I pod... it works.

13. Why don't you get an iPod dock? You can move that anywhere and play all your songs.

14. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    Those speakers suck. It's hard to hear the bass with speakers that tiny, and I think you'd be pushing it pretty hard if you want to play along to the song. I think through my amp is the best way to go.

15. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    I made a Y adapter cable to amplify bass & guitar for duet sessions. It's a single male phone jack with 2 female jacks. Disclaimer; At 125 watt my KB 15 would clip if we got carried away. Be careful or you can damage your amp. Use the headphone out on the iPod to adjust it's volume to match your bass.

You can buy Y cables & mini-jack to 1/4" jack adapters at Radio Shack.

16. I use a pandora. It allows me to slow down and isolate bass lines as well.

17. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    I went to radioshack and got myself a 1/4" headphone jack splitter. My logic was that if it was intended to split one output signal into two output signals, if I reversed it, I could put two input signals into it and it would merge into one output signal. Unfortunately that is not the case. I was trying to put my metronome into one input, and my bass in the other, but only the metronome would go through. I'm not sure what to try next, but I really want to put it into my amp, versus buying a pandora, Line6 soundcard, etc. Any ideas?

I just got myself a pair of Sunheiser HD280 Pros, and they sound amazing with my amp. I just prefer to practice to a metronome, if possible. If I can get my metronome running through the input, this would be a great late night/silent practice setup.

18. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    The inputs have always been about the same signal strength when I used a splitter with my KB 15; Guitar + Bass. Apologies if I said something to mislead you.

19. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    The problem with just using a Y-adaptor is that it puts the bass pickups in parallel with the iPod output. The iPod output impedance is much lower than your bass (unless it's active) so it will most likely load down your bass so that it's volume will be pretty low and it would also affect it's tone. I'd do the cheap mixer route.

20. Hi.

Yet another vote for a small mixer.

While You're at it, buy one that has a mic channel too. You'll never know when there's a need for vocal amplification ;).

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_502.htm

Regards
    Sam