Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is there any way to split a lead into two

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basskiddanny, Feb 13, 2002.

1. basskiddanny

basskiddanny

Aug 22, 2001
    England
    is there any way to split a lead into two or connect 2 leads to one amp, with only 1 input

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Not sure if I am reading the post correctly, do you mean like this?

ABY32

Scroll down to the lower left on page 2.

3. basskiddanny

basskiddanny

Aug 22, 2001
    England
    i dont hav acrobat reader so i cant view it, plz can u copy and paste it?

i just need a way of putting two leads into one input with an adapter or something

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    ABY32

[​IMG]

The two leads go into A and B, then the amp would just be connected to one of the 'Common' inputs.

You can also download the free acrobat reader from Free Adobe Reader

That link I posted in my first reply is to the manual for the box. It has illustrations so you can see the possible uses. Might be helpful towards determining if this is for you or not.

5. basskiddanny

basskiddanny

Aug 22, 2001
    England
    where can i get me one of those?

thank u very much

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I bought mine direct from here.

It's under RFX products. I don't know what their policy is on int'l sales.

I'm unable to assist in that regard personally, but maybe a friend, relative, or fellow TB'er could help you out.

Good luck! :)

7. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    when you mean leads, do you mean like taking two guitars and putting them into one input on an amp? I dont know if you have radio shack in england, but you can buy a simple Y splitter at a radio shack here for about 2 dollars no switches no moving parts.

8. basskiddanny

basskiddanny

Aug 22, 2001
    England
    Thats exactly what i want, are they just called Y splitters??

I will ask around the shops tomorrow, to see if anywhere has one.

9. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    yeah I think people should know what you mean by Y splitter. you can always say "two in one out" 1/4" mono connectors. I have no clue if they go by metric size across the pond. I am a sheltered ingnorant american.

10. i have a little line splitter box with four plugs on one side and one on the other .. when i try to use it backwards the noise goes up and the tone goes down - pretty drastically. I think this is because of impedance mismatching (??). So i suspect the Y cable would suffer from the same if you were using it to JOIN ..

11. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I think this is because of impedance mismatching (??). So i suspect the Y cable would suffer from the same if you were using it to JOIN ..

I think you are right. your splitter box may have a transformer in it, so that you can have seperate outputs that do not interfere with each other, while the input remains unaffected. thats my guess

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    A y-plug can just be used to split a signal, not to 'combine' to different signals.

1 bass into 2 amps: possible with Y-plug
    2 basses into 1 amp: not possible with Y-plug, A/B box needed

Matthias

BTW it is IMHO not useful to post the same thread in 2 different forums.