Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there anybody out there who doesnt like Mudvayne?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bsplyr54, Apr 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Is this some kind of joke? I regretably downloaded three of thier songs, none of which are even good enough to make my 100 worst song list. I find it hard to believe that everybody can idolize this guy so quickly when hes no better than any other bass player in any other hack metal band. Not to say that this guy has no talent, but I cant possibly support a bass player who will settle for playong in a metal band that is more like a sideshow, than a real band. The functionality of his basslines are about as effective as kazoo in a jazz band. No matter how cool his basslines are, eventhough none of them have yet to seriously impress me yet, he is still drowned out by all the powerchord driven mayhem in front of him, not to mention that joke of a singer. How can you expect anybody to seriously consider a band that cant maintain a noticable melody without drowning it out with that god forsaken distortion. Maybe this is the reason all the guys in the double bass section have little respect for most of the claptrap that is posted on this side. Not to say that there are no good conversations on this side because i have witnessed quite a few legitimate theoretical and technical disscussions. But where this side loses its dignity is when it is reduced to praising a bassist for his work in a heavy metal band that would be just as popular and just as bad without him. Sorry if I offended anyone because this was not the reason for starting this thread, but rather to try to slow the dumbening of this other fellow bass players. If you ask me there is too much emphasis on tabbing ( of all thing s tab, the laziest, least effective way to translate music) and praising bassists whose basslines are as effective as a theory in heavy metal music. Sorry for the essay, but this is just how i feel~paul

2. i am not sure if the guy has talent or not, i listened to a couple of songs with a guy i work with that likes them (non-musician) and i really found it hard to tell what the bass was. lots of low end in the music including the singer.

when they did a bass break it sounded like something i had heard before Geddy ala some slap.

3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    IMO, bsplyr54, you are completely wrong, and the I could care less what the people over at Double Bass think of this "side"...

:)

4. What songs did you hear or download. I think the bass is pushed up front on 'Severed'. I really like the bassline. I like this song. I'm not a big fan of the band as a whole, but I do like his bass playing. I think the band's image is predictable and silly. They are a alot better than the hip hop/rock crap that you can't hide frome these days. Hell Mudvayne might even have some kind of rap in one of there songs that I haven't heard. Bsplyr54, sounds like you don't like metal at all (you don't even seem to like distortion at all) so there's no way you would like Mudvayne anyway.

5. yea it must be an age thing, i like metal but more in the Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden vein. I will have my friend play that song for me so i can check it out.
    from what i heard it just didn't grab me as far as the bass playing. I think the last bass players that made me said wow were les claypool and robert trujio from infectious grooves. I will give it another listen. :D

6. Gruffpuppy he's not going to blow you away like Les I don't think, but he's pretty good.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ok I havent heard a single one of thier tunes, but the way you put your opinion is a little bit well rude and almost sure to start a flame war. Please be a little more courtious when you post, its all your sarcasim thats more than likely going to offend and start a flame war. You can not like something and still be more tactfull about the way you put it.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...in reference to the title of your thread:

Looks like only you have a problem with the bassist. Most of the people around here might not like them, but they sure as heck admit to Ryan Martinies skill. No, he's not some bass god. Yes, he's a few levels above most of the other rock bassists out there.

The rest of us have an open mind. And...not to sugest anything, but I'm gonna put some money on the only song you heard was Dig.

All in my humble opinion of course.

9. I guess I happened to download the right track because when I saw what all these people where saying, things likes They couldn't hear the bass clearly, all he does is slap, all the singer does is scream, etc., I couldn't understand what these people were talking about. Then I saw the 'dig' video and said ooh, I see....

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    did you not see the other two mudvayne threads?

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. And for some reason SOME people make a HUGE ASSUPTION off of ONE SONG...go figure, huh?:D:D

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  12. well i listened to 'Severed' this morning and it was pretty good. i have no desire to buy the CD or anything but the bass sounded good and the song had some nice breaks in it. the singer has a potty mouth and his parents should have spent more time making him eat soap. didn't blow me away but it didn't stink. the first couple of songs on the disk don't do anything but give me a headache but 'Severed' was pretty good.

sound like the bass player has a handfull of methods in his grasp, hear some nice chords and finger work.

13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    to answer the question at hand, no i do not like mudvayne. i heard a few songs and saw a video and just laughed. the same laug that the modern crowd gives me when they hear what I listen to. :D

i do not like "nu"-metal in the least either. it's the antithesis of what I am into.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Having heard several of their songs and seeing a one of their videos, I can't form any opinion of Martinie's ability.

He looks like he's busy, but I can't hear squat, because they have one of these zero-talent vocalists, (certainly not a "singer"), who does that ridiculous mud-garble that some bands do, 4 registers too deep for his natural voice.

IMO, he's on going down a dead end street, until he can play some music where listeners can tell if he really has the goods. Otherwise, the garbled bombast that makes up the collective sound of Mudvayne will keep him little more than a make-up freak show.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know much about the group at all, but I did see the picture in Bass Player magazine and I must say that I had a similar reaction - how can you expect to be taken seriously as musician looking like that!

But there seem to be a few US bassists (at least in the pages of BP;))who seem to be going for a "look" that would suit them for a part in a Dungeons & Dragons or Lord of the Rings film - sort of like the costume/makeup I imagine for a dwarf or a particularly ugly pixie.

But when somebody puts that much effort into looking that bad, I just know that I don't want to hear the music - so I suppose they are doing people like me a service! :rolleyes:

16. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I dont listen to alot of heavey metal but id say he is as good as most heavy metal bassist out there! Id give my vote for dave elfsen of megadeath if i had to vote a great bass player for heavy metal! Iam more into jazz jam bands! I get into robert walters and the 20th congress,John scofield that kinda stuff! And the big diff on this side of bass talk is that there is alot of young kids that havent played very long so they think every bass player is awsome! Not that thats bad they still are bass players and count! I play stand up and electric and just like to hang on this side!

17. I listened, and thought the riffage was pretty cool and the bass player's good, but I can't deal with the vocals at all. That vocal style just doesn't work for me. They should fire the "singer"..... out of a cannon :D

18. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    I did not mean to insult anyone or even bash the "bass gutitar" side. That couldnt be further from the truth. Perhaps I was a bit on the sarcastic side, and for that I appologize. I used to be primarily a big heavy metal fen, until I started playing the bass. I took a few theory classes in college, and it expanded my musical views outside of mainstream music. I just really cannot take a band seriously who portrays themselves the way they do. I listened to 1, severed, and cradle. I did not care for it. I just couldnt respect his basslines under all that garbage. I am not saying that i dont think hes good, I just dont think he should be immortalized so quickly, especially since his basslines really arent shaping the music. Once again, sorry if i insuted anyone, thats just how i feel.~paul

19. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i must say i cant stand the band a single bit, i think the way they look is incredibly funny and their singer is ridiculous. their bass player isnt really doing anything revolutionary and i think theyre just sort of "in" right now. hopefully theyll fade away shortly. i cant stand that video that they have out for "dig", i could barely force myself to sit through it the whole way through once, let alone see it on mtv2 every time i put the station on.

20. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Mudvayne's bass player and drummer are technically talented, but the music, IMO, is absolutely, Noriega-harrassing terrible. I think I'd rather listen to Madonna :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.