Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there anybody out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jay dingo, Aug 10, 2001.

1. jay dingo

jay dingo

Aug 10, 2001
    Iceland
    Howdy! Got a question for you bastions of bass knowledge. My brother (and loveable bassist for our band) has a birthday coming up and myself and the crew are going to buy him a new axe.
    Lately he has been pining over two cuties: an Ibanez SR400, and a Tobias Toby Pro Four.
    We have noticed tendrils of drool at the corners of his mouth when viewing either one, so i'm sure he will be pleased no matter what the choice.
    He has rather small hands, which is probably why he gazes at the "nez" but i've heard lots of noise about Tobias too.
    Any suggestions from the nut gallery?

2. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Get him an Ibanez BTB it is better than both and cost around the same. He won't be disapponted with it. You might have to replace the pups in the Toby from what I understand or the preamp or both. But more people with better knowledge about basses can answer more questions this basses and make more suggestions.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Depends on how much money you're collecting. :)

I'll second that, in saying an Ibanez BTB. :)

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I vote BTB too.
    But you If you MUST select between those 2.. I would go with the Tobias in Natural Finish.

5. PowerMad

PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    Tobias gets my vote.

6. jay dingo

jay dingo

Aug 10, 2001
    Iceland
    Well, after I pass the hat (and pass it again, knowing my friends ;) ) I can't see having too much more than about 600, maybe 650 if i sell a few pints. His wife is already buying a new amplifier for him as we type (god, must be rough eh?) So We don't need to split the value between an amp and a guitar. How about it, sumpin with a slim neck for about 600?

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    mtd kingston?

STILL haven't tried one yet....but its in the price range.

fred

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe is about $600, and one hell of a bass. Scrape a few more pennies up, and you can get the Marcus Miller Jazz bass ($769 @ musiciansfriend.com).

I can't vouch for Tobias, because I've never played one... But I'd say the Ibanez BTB or the Fender Jazz. They have fairly slim necks. Also... Take into consideration the Reverend Rumblefish and Rumblefish XL. I don't think they go for much more, and from what I've heard, they're incredible instruments, with perfect necks.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I understand you want it to be a surprise, but IMO you should let him decide. After all, he's the one who's going to be playing it.

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    What I would do is engineer a situation where you his mrs or a mate got him in a shop with a selection of basses in your price range. Then get him the exact bass he drooled over after he left the shop. If none were suitable you would have to do it again in another shop so try to pick a well stocked shop.

IMHO bass is very personal I would go for the MIA Jazz and the responses were split 50 50

What does he want

PS its also fun being sneaky