Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there anyone else who can't wake up when its raining?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick man, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I missed my first two classes today because I didnt wake up when my alarm clock went off.

I'll admit that Im not the easiest to wake up, but it become practically impossible for me to wake up when its raining.

My alarm had been going off for over an hour the first time by the time I woke up, so I set it to get me up an hour before my next class and I didnt wake up for an hour after it went off which isnt practical when your class is 15 minutes away and you arent quite presentable. :meh:

I used to have the same problem when I was working. My alarm couldnt wake me up if it was raining. Luckily my mom worked from home and was able to wake me up before I was too late.

So, Im wondering.....

Is there anyone else out there who doesnt wake up easily if its raining?

Peace
    Nick

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm going out on a whim here, based loosely on my personal experience, but I would imagine the sound of the rain makes the sound of your alarm clock less effective, chances are when the rain began you may have stirred in the night as you adjusted to it, then having this constant barrage of sound, made you sleep with that in mind, er... I'll bet you would have woken up easily had the rain stopped suddenly.

I used to work with a reverse alarm clock, that is, I had my music queued up for the length of time I intended to sleep, I'd fall asleep with the music on and once it turned off in the morning I'd awake fairly easily.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Like... uh... Rain is like... soothing... and stuff... so uh... like.... ya. me too.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I can't put my pants on when it's snowing.

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    If you can't wake up when it rains, be glad you don't go to school at Humboldt. It rains almost constantly up here. You get used to it though.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I play bass for a living..........what is this thing you call "morning"?????

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I do have a hard time getting up and around on rainy mornings, but it doesn't keep me from hearing the alarm clock.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It's the time you get home from the bar. ;)

9. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I find it hard to get out of bed in the rain, not really sure why? I guess its because I just generally hate rain!

Andy

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I would love to stay in bed on rainy mornings. But those mornings are usually work days.

If I have a day off, I am up early because I like to play before my head gets clogged with all the white noise of the day.

11. Rainy days and Mondays... :rolleyes:

I don't have the full scientific explanation, but the sound of rain is exremely soothing, and I think not only to humans*.

Looking at it from the reverse angle, if you have trouble getting to sleep, try listening to either Restful Rain, or Distant Thunderstorms.
    http://www.purewhitenoise.com

These sound effects really do work; at least for me they do.

Let's all just be glad that King Henry VIII is not reigning anymore! :p

Mike :D

* Just look at that peaceful kitty atop the radio on, "Smooth Radio Static."

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am I am!!!

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  14. This stuff looks like it's right up my alley, but I didn't notice any sound audition option. I may get one anyway. Baroque Garden looks interesting.

Thanks, Wrong R.

Mike :)

15. I just saw the listening icon.

Sorry. :oops:

Mike

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    well when in doubt remember the old indonesian saying "if you've heard one new agey relaxation album, you've heard one new agey relaxation album, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise"

:p

17. Which should not be confused with the old Malayan saying: "When the food is brought to market, the husband rides on the donkey, while the wife walks. Why does the wife walk? Becase she hasn't GOT a donkey."

:bag:

I'm going home now. :D

Mike (I misspelled Malayan)

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Interesting replies.

I dont think its that the rain drowns out the sound of the alarm clock though since the rain was very soft this morning. Besides, I usually fall asleep with my iPod playing at a medium volume and I still wake up when my alarm clock goes off.

I think it has more to do with the soothing effect of the sounds. Im going to go download some rain sounds to throw in my iPod to help me go to sleep.

Peace
    Nick

19. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    It takes 3 alarm clocks for me to wake up... set about 2 minutes apart from each other.

I love falling asleep when there is very heavy rain... it's just so easy.

20. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I love rain, so if I can be I'm outside (seriously)...Of course, I live in the dryest city in Canada so I'm more or less screwed.

Sleep is good...I just woke up from a nap.