Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there anyone here who also plays a 7 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Torgo, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Torgo

Torgo

Jun 6, 2005
    I had played a 6 string bass for about 8 years straight until I stumbled upon a 7 string Conklin Groove Tools bass this past September.

It's truly the best bass I've owned yet and plays amazingly smooth.

Is there anyone else on this site that also plays 7 string bass (or even 8 or 9 string for that matter)?

2. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    yea look at john turner's stuff in the show your basses thread

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You've come to the right place. I'd say about 1/3 of TB plays or has played 7+. Also, Garry Goodman has his thread about his 12 string on here, it's pretty nice.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    12 string?!

Damn, i need to bulid myself a 36 string or something; i feel bad just having a 4!

:D

5. Torgo

Torgo

Jun 6, 2005
    yeah, a 36 string bass could be played with both your hands and your feet.

Hell, Victor Wooten could do more with a 1 string bass then most of us could do with 4 anyway. :crying:

6. Torgo

Torgo

Jun 6, 2005
    DAmn, that's insane.

I'm looking at maybe getting one of Conklin's 9 string groove tool models.

They're actually very affordable compared to their custom made stuff.

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    lol...7 strings for what? for me this type of basses are for show,the real basses only have 4,5 or 6 and the best bassists of the world only use a 4,Jaco,Flea,Wooten,Ham,Geddy Lee,etc,etc,etc am a 5 stringer for the past 6 years and now i go to 5 again or 4,i prefer a 4 right now,i can,t beat any of those 6 string players lol..... :D

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There are no Conklin Groove Tools 9-strings..they stop at seven. And they recently stopped producing the Groove Tools line as well. You can get a Conklin New Century model nine-string, which is less than a full custom would cost, but it would still be around $4000 IIRC.

9. I have a Conklin 7. It outplays my Carvin LB76, AND my YAMAHA RBX6JM "John Myung" signature series 6 string.

Next is a 9

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Al Caldwell (who had a snippet in a recent issue of Bass Player magazine) occasionally posts here and he plays Benavente 9 or 11-string basses.

As for me, I'm a born-again 4-stringer after going from 4 to 5 to 6 back to 4 over the years. Much props and respect to those who can effectively play the ERBs. I certainly couldn't.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    7 strings??? That is SO rediculous!!! :rollno:

Jaco only needed four!

:bag:

12. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    me me...oh oh ...pick me

[​IMG]

13. Jaco is/was great, but NOT the BE ALL END ALL of bass

But what do I know, I never liked his music

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Are those music instruments or surf boards?!?! :eek:

I bet you could land an airplane on those things!

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Familiar Chill- you *do* realize Mark Beem was being sarcastic, right? If you check his profile and his band's website, he plays a pair of 8-strings.

Still the ERB (extended range bass) still brings about much prejudice in many musical circles. If you play a 6-string, there is a good chance you'll hear comments like "why do you play a 6-string? Are you a wannabe guitarist or something?"

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    DOH! I've been made!!

[​IMG]

17. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    stop posting pics of your expensive custom basses and making poor people like me feel bad :crying:

18. Thats what I get for being new here!

I will go stand in the corner now....

and...yeah....VERY nice basses!!!

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's what I do in my band, Lychesis. Not "groove" necessarily but supportive. But with two guitarists and two keyboardists (dedicated keys person and singer plays keys as well) I don't have many opportunities to solo..