1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there anyone here who also plays a 7 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Torgo, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've had my GT7 for about 4-5 months now, and I've greatly enjoyed the additional range. They are pretty good basses for a production model, and if you're lucky you can get great buys on the 'bay (if you're patient ;) ).

I paid $499 for this one, in absolutely mint condition .... :cool:

[​IMG]

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    And it came with a nice figuring to it too.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I can remedy that...

[​IMG]

{ :bawl: RIP :bawl: }

4. when i first saw RIP i was like wait? stew didn't die! no! then i realized u were talking about his bass, what a shame, damn hurricance :-(

5. Alright, seeing as how my GTBD is being delivered on Halloween, I'd really like a case for it (and not TOO expensive). The soft case that's up on Musicians Friend has the worst reviews I've ever seen, so is there an alternative that anyone knows about?

BTW, ever notice that Musician's Friend has the initials MF? :eyebrow: Something to think about...

6. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    i have a question....

Why is is that it is socially acceptable to suck on 4 strings, whereas you only get respect for owning a 7-string (or more) if you contribute decently on it?

I mean, people expect a lot more if you show up with a 7-stringer than if you show up with a 4.

I demand the right to suck on 7-stringers without loosing the respect from my fellow bass-suckers. :hyper:

Seriously, though, there's something in what I say above. If you suck on 4-stringers, you're told "It's OK to suck, you know, as long as you like what you're doing." You never get that reaction if you show up with a 7-stringer, in which case you're supposed to lead the new generation of bass players into new territory.

In my opinion, there are enough players playing well on ERBs to allow the rest of us to play ERBs on our regular level, too. ;)

Why?

7. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I've been using Gator gig bags and haven't had any issues at all. I primarily use the double bag, but the deluxe gig bag is pretty cool, too .....

Just be careful when selecting whatever gig bag or HSC you get. The upper horn doesn't fit a lot of the standard stuff ...

8. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Permission granted :D

You're right, though, there is definitely an expectation of a higher-than-normal level of skill expected of cats playing ERB's, and I don't necessarily disagree with that expectation. If a player is having trouble navigating 4 strings, why would they want to add even more confusion to their playing?

Realizing that your post was "tongue-in-cheek", I do feel that a lot of players get extended range instruments thinking that they're basically just an "extended" version of a 4, only to realize that everything in the technique, thinking, phrasing and sound reproduction equipment needs to be adjusted. It's not like buying a 5 string because there are one or two songs where a low D, C or B would be nice to have. That's why there are so many really great deals out there on used ERB's ;)

My technique has been so drastically altered since playing 6+ string basses that I find it somewhat uncomfortable to go back to a 4. For me, it's all an adventure in bass playing, and the additional strings/range have opened up my playing considerably ........ :cool:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

All I can think about that photo is :

Guaranteed Back Ache!! :(

10. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Probably not... Bill's a very skilled builder and his basses are perfectly balanced.. I should know.. I have two myself..

;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I played a perfectly balanced TRB6P for while - still got back ache...:meh:

Are there accurate weight figures for any of these things?

12. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Don't have any for mine.. I'd guestimate they'll go around 13 ~ 15 pounds or thereabouts...

Go pick up a Gibson banjo some time!! :eek: Talk about a back-breaker!!

13. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    :hyper: THANKS! :D

I own a GT7, and I love playing it. I know that when I really have to stretch musically (like when sight-reading or when having to really "play safe"), I rely on my oher "standard" basses rather than the GT7. But I love the challenge, and the different approach. So I agree with you all the way. It IS a different instrument, and as such, it opens up new opportunities.

What pisses me off a little, and is why I posted above, are the people who say that "they accept a 7-stringer (or more) IF the bass player makes something exceptional out of it." This implies that if you are stupid enough to show up with a 7-stringer, you'd better make people go "wowww ohh-weee". If you can't, you've failed the 7-string exam. :) (And I haven't noticed the same pressure applied to 4-string players.)

I mean, I won't always use all the strings on all the tunes playing chords from bar 1 to bar 128 and at the same time play cool sweeping bass lines with full-blown horn arrangement on top of it to justify that I own a 7-string bass. ;) But hopefully people will like my music... I think that's a better criteria for judging. :)

Well, enough soapbox-talk from me.

Someone asked about the weight of these basses. My GT7 weighs about 6kg, I don't know how much that is in US measurements. :) But it IS heavy, and I wouldn't be able to play it for an entire gig.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Yup - guaranteed backache!! :(

15. I believe that 10-string was made of a really lightweight wood (dragonwood?).

16. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I think it was too, but it still weighs 16 pounds.

17. I don't care what anyone says...this is the hottest ERB ever made! That blue/green conklin rocks too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    It seems to me that some people don't know what to think, when they see for example a bass with seven strings. Perhaps they will think "bass? seven strings! he needs two, maybe three! he'll be playing roots! bass! seven strings? that doesn't compute. division by zero error. buffer overflow. core dumped." and their concluding thought may be "wannabe-guitarist" or "show-off" or "must be compensating for something". Nothing wrong with that, per se, althoug I would perhaps call it "narrow minded" or "old fashioned".
    My strategy, when playing with people who I haven't played with before, is to be quite natural about it. And just play well. Usually people won't even notice that my bass is a monster. :smug: Unless they look closely, of course. But usually I get away with it, simply by being natural and not making a big deal out of the number of strings attached.

Ideally though, I would want an ERB that looks like any "normal" bass, i.e. not attracting attention to itself. I would rather have people listen to the music.

That's about 13-14 pounds. That is heavy! Mine is about 10 pounds. At first I thought it heavy, but now I'm used to it. I can easily play it for an hour, I'll feel it if I play two hours. But it isn't a problem.

19. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i hae a four, a five...mmmmmmmmmmm, lakland...and a GT-7.
    the conk was my main bass for a few years, and i love it...however, the weight is getting to me, hence the move to a four and five.
    that being said, i'm now in two bands...my main band isn't into the conk, tonally, so np. the blues thing i do, however...the geet player, after having his mind blown by the sheer size of the axe, prefers the conk.
    :D
    i may alternate basses in the blues thing, just to keep him honest.

the conk took me a good year to get used to playing, physically. now it's like coming home whenever i play it.
    i still love my 55-94, though...:hyper:

20. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Im gonna soon take the 7 string plunge, It'll be a custom job whatever it is. I'm a six player exclusively right now. I've seen some nice ones by FBB and JP, the latter of which was headless too. I think CB does them as well.