is there anyone with just one bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyo, Oct 16, 2004.

1. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    hehe i always hear everyone here say "well i'm looking into getting my 423rd bass tomorrow" so i was wondering if there is anyone like me, who is content with just one :)
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    There were times when I had several ones simultaneously.

Now I'm down to one bass, and I'm very pleased with it.

But I need a 5-string for a few songs in my band, so I'll soon get back to 2 basses...

3. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    The only bass I have is a Ric 4003.
    I'm in the process of having a Fender type bass built for me as a roleplayer.
    I plan on one more;a frettless to complete my collection.
    I'm not into versatility as much as lopsided character,so I'm destined to own more than one.
  4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I think you might share belief with Steve Swallow. He only has one Harvey Citron 5-String, although I know he has changed bass a few times over the years
  5. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    It's not uncommon for bassists to have multiple basses but primarily, if not exlusively, play one that they grow comfortable and accustomed to. I myself have 2 but tend to favor my 5 string over my own 4 string creation.
  6. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I only have 1 bass. I can't see myself owning more than 2 or 3 at one time. I'm keeping my current bass as long as it's intact. My next bass is going to be a Rickenbacker 4003.
  7. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I only have one bass. My Fender Jazz Marcus Miller signature series. In the band I'm in (a jam band) you switch from song to song and sometimes back again without many breaks to be able to switch basses. One song I may play something smooth and mellow, the next might be an all out Funk attack with slap. So I just use my Fender all night. It's a great bass, and pretty inexpensive.

But I must be honest, I just got back from Guitar Center and I might pick up a Warwick fretless 4 string this week...

Another thing that amazes me is how expensive some of these basses are!? Everyone must be lawyers and doctors around here. :D
  8. I salute you guys. It's the music, not the gear, that's important.

Although reading these boards does make one lust after more equipment.
  9. I wish I could get back to one bass, but it's too hard to sell anything....
  10. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ... I had one bass.. I just had my Ric 4003. Now I have my Ric, Warwick, SX, and I have a conklin on the way. Later to come: Warmoth fretless jazz and Godin A4 fretless or fretted. :p

I also have a 1974 Ric 4001 that I'm borrowing.
  11. I've been rockin' an awesome fender bullet bass for about four months now. It's not like the standard bullets that were made in korea though. ROCK A FENDER!! :bassist:
  12. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Yep! Essex Jazz bass. It rocks.

I do plan on getting another bass, probably a Steinberger 5 string. :bassist:
  13. The Reff - Harvey Citron played at my bar mitzvah, i didn't know anyone ever heard of him lol

by the way he payed my brothers too some 13 years before mine
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    In about,.. 10 months i plan on buying a Spector NS4CRFM and I think if i like it 100000%, I might sell 2 of my current 3 basses (Godin SD, Spector Q5, Modded SX precision) and just have 2 basses. I think whats going to happen is ill sell spector q5 and sx, and keep godin and new spector.Cant let me godin go.
  15. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Strange as it may sound, I have only my proto 4.....

There is a 6er under way that I may claim as my own though.
  16. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i only have a fender p bass special, its a combo bass so it covers styles well. most people forget about it.

i would only see my self with a few like 4 or 5 tops. i feel like i would neglect the others, if i had many basses.
  17. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    The ONE and only - Corvette

18. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I have an Ibanez GSR200 I got afew days ago. I like the range the combo pickups provide (I prefer to play witha Geddy-lee sort of growl, which I believe I am emulating fairly well). Since I'm still in the process of learning bass, I feel I'll be happy with this one for a long, long time.
  19. only have one...Hartke WK - 4...very very nice
  20. I have two, but one of them has dead electronics, and a bunch of stuff wrong with it.

So I only use one at this point.