1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is There Anything Bad About Dingwall? (other than price)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aqsw, May 11, 2011.

1. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    I searched TB and the worst comment I could find was, "I'm not a fan of fanned frets".

Is this the worst comment on the Dingwall ? If it is, the Dingwall MUST be the best bass in the world. Even the Modulases and Alembacs have some haters.

2. I can't afford one, and it ticks me off...

ed morgan likes this.
  3. Some of them aren't as beautiful as this:

DingwallGeddyLee5.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm sure there's some people out there who don't "love" their tone. I think it's OK, but it's not my thing. I've played a couple, and they sure do play nice, though. Just not my thing so much sonically, right now.

5. The only thing I hate is that there are none around me to play/buy.

6. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Pickup variation is pretty much nonexistent. I've never looked into Dingwalls a whole lot, but I've never seen one that didn't have the whole two humbucker set-up, and that bugs me.

7. Lol, every brand has haters some are just more vocal than others. By your logic there are a number of small builders who also must have the greatest basses in the world :D.

8. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Construction, quality, and feel was top-notch on my ABII. Tonally... a bit bland for my tastes; I was hoping for a bit more depth.

9. Then you'll have guys who love them so much that they form a club. Then they sell whatever the heck bass it was and become a huge hater. Then they try to buy it back. Yup, sounds like TB.

ed morgan likes this.
  10. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    I don't consider Dingwall "a small builder". I consider him a "quality" builder!

There are alot of posts about Dings.!!
    Don'y really understand the LOL. Prove me wrong.

And it's not my logic. Do a search, and you tell me what the worst comments are??

11. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    That's what I wanted to hear. Some real feedback!
    Not some LOL , never played one!

12. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Not sure what model your looking at but! \OK

13. The lol, is because there are plenty of builders in similar positions or even smaller outfits who haven't had a a bad word said about them :p.

Is there anything bad about Tom Clement?

Is there anything bad about Mayones?

Is there anything bad about Marleaux?

Is there anything bad about Sandberg?

I could go on. I'm just saying it seems a little silly to look for the worst in a company with such a good reputation. When a company is so unanimously lauded I'd say that speaks for itself. Excuse me if I've misinterpreted your question but that's how it looks to me.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  14. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    How 'bout a fEarful thread highjack? You'll want one for your Dingwall!

Dingwalls will cure your bass gas except for another Dingwall.

However, you will want some gear to get all you can from these exceptional basses.

If you are a traditional kind of guy and prefer a shorter scale, the Super J's and PJ's can go head to head with any of the boutique builders. Super J's have 19mm string spacing and go just over 36" on the B to 33 1/2 on the G.

AB's have 18mm string spacing and run the longer scale. The fanned frets are a non issue most of the time. Up high chords can take a bit of practice, but who makes money up there anyway?

Check out the Dingwall web site, all the stats are there for the various models. Good community support and tech support there too.

I've bought all of mine used, keep your eyes peeled and you can find a deal. TB classifieds will give you an idea of what used Dingwall are going for going back a few years.

Attached Files:

15. I only tried one. I was impressed with the feel, the construction and finish, and the intelligence behind the fanned frets as a genuine solution (rather than a gimmick) to the 5 string scale-length, floppy E-string problem.
    But I felt it had a very generic active tone.
    Mind you, I'm a 4 string, passive, flat-wound guy. The Dingwall is about as far from my neighborhood as I ever care to stray. Amazing bass, but totally not for me.

16. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    I'm not looking for the worst in a company. I'm actually on the other side looking for the best. All the basses you mentioned are great basses, but they get maybe 5-10% of the mention in TB that Dingwall gets.

17. That is true. But if what you say is the case then you've seen the best all over TB, lol. Dingwall's a great company by pretty much all accounts.

18. the fanned frets

19. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I had a couple of these. I miss the 4. The 5 was hard for me to hit the low C on.
    It felt like I had to turn my fretting hand in a weird (uncomfortable) way.

The only reason I got rid of the 4 was that it played so nice that it was hard to come back to "normal" basses. Variety is the splice of life, but this made all my other basses ugly step sisters, and I could not have that kind of drama in the stable.

20. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Look at the basses. Every single Dingwall has two humbuckers for a pickup configuration. And as I said, the fact that there is little to no variation in pickup setup bugs me. I'm not sure what YOU'RE looking at.