1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there anything better than a Schroeder 1212L?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Delberthot, Jun 14, 2007.

1. I play in a couple of bands - one is a wedding/function band and the other is a pub rock band.

I play a Yamaha TRB6 II fretless and a Fender '51 reissue precision.

My amp is a GK 700RB II and I have the the volume about half way on both the input and master controls when playing live.

The cab I currently use is an Ashdown ABM115 full size (not the compact) 1x15" and I have replaced the original cone with an eminence delta 500W 4ohm driver. This sits angled on a cab stand which points at me as a monitor.

I am looking for a small loud cabinet that's lighter than the 33kg beast that i use just now and the Schroeder seems to be the perfect cab for me.

I was originally looking at the Markbass stuff but I only want 1 single cab to use as my stage monitor and I don't know if they could cope.

Does anyone know what the 'AER standard' part is after the quoted RMS of the cab?

Other cabs that i have been looking at are:

Trace Elliot 1518C
    Trace Elliot 1028H
    EBS 15H
    Gallien Krueger 210 SBX II

but none of these seem to compare as well as the Schroeder

Is there anything else I should consider before going for it?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If you are looking for a light weight cab and are set on 12's, check out the Epifani UL212. That is one light weight cab.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    What are you comparing?

Alex

P.S. You could put a Kappalite 3015 in your Ashdown. Better driver in every way than the Delta 15 and much lighter.

4. I am a big fan of the 1212L, but a word of warning. It is a unique sounding cab... voiced very much to the low mids. It is massively loud for its size, and very articulate... but, to many, it sounds compressed and a little on the nasal side. It sounds very good in a mix (I've used mine in many different situations, and have heard it out front on numerous occasions), but it does impart a lot of its own tone to your sound. It is more punchy than deep, and more articulate than grindy... quite modern sounding.

On the positive side, it's smaller than most 210's, and at 42 pounds or so, it is just a dream to schlep around. Given its lower mid voicing, it is VERY efficient (gets very loud with a moderate amount of watts). It's a GREAT funk/slap cab (listen to the recording of that cab on Jorg's website).

Since the 1212L is not cheap, there are many options available to you that are light and loud. The Epi212UL or 115UL are good options... quite a bit larger than the 1212L, but very light, and much more full range. I've heard good things about the Genz Benz 212Light, and also the GK 212 Neo cabs. These other cabs are quite a bit larger than the 1212L, and a little heavier (not much). They won't put out quite the volume, but will be fuller and deeper sounding.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Great Post as usual Ken, As you know from my test of your 1212L they are take it or leave it, cabs. Personally I'd rather leave them:D , but I understand why some like them. Two points of caution, the 1212L will NOT do old school, if a little tube type grit is something you like in your sound STAY AWAY. Second be sure and try one with the amp your going to use it with. It doesn't like some heads, especially Eden. Should probably work OK with the GK. I can see why some like them they are loud, and they do cut thru the mix. I personally would go with the Epi cabs in a heartbeat over the Schro.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You know, sometimes I hear a description of this cab that makes me go "wow, that sounds like something I'd be into" and other times I hear a description of it that just turns me off. I really prefer the 12's sound over the 10's sound at this point as I feel like there is more of a gut punch coming out of my UL112 than any 10's I've heard. Anyway, I'd love to hear from anybody who can compare the UL112 to the 1212L.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I see little reason the GB NeoX212 would be less loud. Same drivers essentially. In fact it could actually be louder since the side chamber of any Schro acousticaly filters the mid- and upper-mid content of any drivers firing into it.

Where Shro comes up strong on the SPL subject is that there are more drivers in a given amount of cab space, thus a cab with three or four drivers even with some acoustic filtering of its content will seem louder than a cab of the same size with LESS of the same drivers in it.

8. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I use a 1212R with a GK1001 and just love it. I like the tone I get with it, but I'm not as picky as some about tone. I needed a rig that would work for all my gigs (bars, larger clubs, weddings, etc), give much booty and cut through in my 14 piece disco band, and allow for one trip from the car to the gig. I have never ever needed more from this cab. I've actually considered getting a smaller amp since I never come close to cranking it. If I had to replace it I'd probably go with a 1212L since it is lighter.

Good luck.

9. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Well Put, I love my two 1212L's

10. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY

Have you ever played a 1212? It really is stupid loud.

I used a GK212 once at a rehearsal, and remember it being very loud as well. I don't know if it was a Neo 212, but a it was a GK 212. I've never used the GK on a gig and never got to do an A/B, but I'd imagine on stage the Schroeder 1212 would seem louder. I just remember the first time I played through a 1212 live and though to myself "holy $h!t, this thing is loud!". I never got that feeling from the GK.

11. thanks for the info guys.

I was comparing the Schroeder with the others in terms of weight, watts and SPLs, although not price!

12. i don't need thumping lows from a cab, that's what the FOH is there for.

The main thing I look for in a cab is being able to hear every note I play. The Ashdown is too boomy sometimes, especially when I whack the B string

13. If that is the case, IMO you will love the 1212L.

14. Hey Will,

I've done some indirect A/Bing with these two cabs.

The 1212L is massively louder that the UL112 (and actually louder.. i.e., able to do a larger, louder gig, than the UL112 x 2 stack. While the 1212L actually has more low end (by 'has', I mean that you can crank some low end EQ into it and it won't break up at all, even at high volume), since the deep low end to lower mid ratio is much higher on the UL112, the UL112 actually sounds deeper, if that makes sense.

The main difference is in the upper mids. The UL112 has that wonderful articulation and the ability to growl a little bit in the upper mids. The 1212L has somewhat of a hole there... kind of like cranking 250hz and cutting 1K a lot. I also like the beautiful Epi tweeter much better than the Schroeder circuit... although Jorg's new crossover and tweeter (as of about 6 months ago) is MUCH better than the original circuit... smoother and less 'metalic' sounding.

I again only suggest the 1212L to people who take 'small, light and loud' to the extreme. This cab really is a freak of nature, and I'm not kidding, you can do a loud gig outside with 500 watts going into the thing and actually hold your own. But, as I posted above, and others also, there is a price to pay in the somewhat compressed sound. As soon as the band kicks in, I find the tone of the 1212L quite pleasing. Played solo... not so much:smug:

IMO and IME, as always.

15. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    +1 That's how I feel abobut it.

16. This makes sense. First, +1... the amazing thing about the 1212L is the volume to size ratio. That's what whips peoples' heads around that hear it or play it. As a few others have said, Jorg's larger cabs are great, but they don't have the 'wow' factor... they are much more typically voiced versus other large cabs, and while high SPL, don't 'blow away' other similarly sized cabs. The 1212L compared to other cabs its size (single 112's and most 210's) is just exponentially louder.

Also, by 'not as loud', I guess my experience with some more 'normally voiced' larger 212 cabs is that, IMO and IME, since the cabs are tuned lower, when you start really cranking them, you can get them to fart out at high volumes... I assume due to the deep bass really working the woofers. With that tight voicing and rather extreme low end roll-off, the 1212L seems to be virtually impossible to fart out... it just keeps getting louder, and eventually will compress a little... but I've never had it 'fart out'.

Again, the trade-off is the deep bass, and the bass to mid ratio.... one just has to decide how important 'small, light and loud' is versus 'full range, deep tone' and more even response. I guess I would just mention that if you take the even response and full range tone to extremes (i.e., design a cab that sounds really 'pretty' when played solo), there's also a price to pay there, since that tone profile will many times get buried once a bass drum starts to wump down low, etc. Everything is a trade-off:)

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021