Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there anything common to all the bass players?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CrazyArcher, Mar 13, 2006.

1. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I've spotted a phenomenon: there's something unpercievable that tells other bassist you're one of them. Several times on parties and such I was asked by people (other bassists, or even non-bassists) who barely knew me "You're a bassist, right?". At first I was shocked, then I got used to it. It's similar to ability of a hooker to spot another one in a huge crowd. Have you noticed that too?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Judging by the bass humour forum and the threads that pop up here every week or so, I'd say a deeply ingrained sense of insecurity and a need to prove that the instrument really is worthwhile.

I just don't understand the compulsion for all these posts on "Why does everyone say bass is so easy, it's SOOOO hard," etc. Or "My guitar player's an idiot, he made fun of bass so I quit the band," "This girl made fun of me," etc. etc. The list goes on and on...and on.

3. No.

4. :D

i think you are right :)

but in reality, no...nobody looks at me and thinks "bassist" usually it's "moron"

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    What do all bassists have in common? A deep sense of love/fear of John Turner.

6. I'd like to think that what they pick up on is a vibe like, "This guy has something going on... something deep, complex, groovy, and seemingly unattainable... And yet he has it! And I want it! Ah, but alas, I am not a bass player."

Or something like that.

--tz

7. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
  8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yeah, we can be a defensive bunch.

9. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Damn dude, that made me laugh out loud.:p

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    nope, never happened..........

note too self.......practice giving off bass vibe

11. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    We all love music so much we're willing to do what we need to do to support it and make it happen.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It's becasue you are wearing your Talkbass "bass cleff hoodie" at the party;)
    ...and I really don't know any hookers, so I haven't noticed the thing about how hookers usually act in a large crowd either.:meh:

13. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Heh.. I got the "you're a bassist, right?" in a pretty weird situation once. Actually, it was the only time it has happened.

Me and my band were at band practise. Then, we felt the need for various groceries (food mostly) growing. So, me and the vocalist set off to the store. This was before any of us were old enough to drive a car, so me and the vocalist rode on his moped to the store. Being two on a moped is slightly illegal in this country, but after all this was a pretty short trip. On the way back to the rehearsal space, the vocalist slowed down and pulled over to the side. Then he said some not to friendly words. Then I looked back, and there was a car with blue and blinking lights. We were both fined. The vocalist got a fine because he didn't have his licence with him. I got a fine for not wearing a helmet.

We were obviously not going to go on with two people on the moped, so the police dudes (two of them) asked were we were going. Then, they offered to drive me. So, I got in the car and on the way back one of the officers asked what we were doing. So, I said that we were rehearsing. Then he looked at me and said, "you're the bassist, right?".

And if there's anything common for bass players? I'd say an unusual good knowledge of different wood types. Especially exotic one's.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their is something a littel diffrent about us , isint their ?

15. Gosh, I thought I got past that when I stopped playing bassoon in college....:meh:

16. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    This past Saturday I show up to the gig wearing my TalkBass t-shirt... the black one with the huge white bass clef, and just below it, "Got bass?"...

...so my guitar player, who is very good with an even greater set of pipes... the man can sing :hyper: ..., looks at my shirt and quizzically says, "Got bass?!?"... but he pronounces the word like the one that rhymes with 'ass'... So I replied, "Yeah... I caught a couple of large-mouths... 'bout six pounds apiece... got 'em in the cooler out there in the van..." He looked at me like I was crazy... and he still never got it... :D

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What's that supposed to mean, huh?

18. It's our gnarled up plumbers hands.:eek: Who me defensive please!:D

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    We all play those weird looking guitars with the long necks and big strings that no one in the audience can hear despite those endowments.