1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there anything I should know about Sub Vs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Apr 30, 2006.

1. So, I've just spent an afternoon in the Bass Centre. I've been working up to buying a new bass for a couple of months and it's time to spend some time trying them out. I had a go on a Warwick $$, which was not bad, but didn't wow me. The Fender Jazz 5s in my price range all felt rather loose and a bit cheap (I'm not having a go at Fender, I'm fully aware that they make great basses, but the MIMs I played today just didn't do it for me). Then I took down a MusicMan Sub V active. It just felt great to play, like it was designed for my hands. The neck was exactlly the right size, the weight was very comfortable, the balance was spot on, and the tone, while not all that varriable, was bang on for the stuff I play. I'm currently checking the back account and moving some money around with the express intention of going back tomorrow to pick one up.

Now, I know that there are better instruments out there, but I have a pretty tight price range. Of what I can afford the Sub V is streets ahead of the rest. So, do any of you know something that I don't? I don't want to be talked out of getting one but I do want to get all of the facts together. Anyone care to chip in?

Cheers

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had one for a few months. I couldn't get into to the VERY bright tone of the bass....but that's subjective....you may love it.

As far as build, fit, playability and all that? Excellent...which of course is typical of Ernie Ball. They make incredible instruments. The bass almost played itself. Felt great....the neck felt great. My only complaint was that no matter what I did (even swapped out the pick for a SD replacement and wired it in series) it seemed too rich in the upper mid-range area. You may love this though! The SUB also made me realize that I'm more of a Pbass or Jbass in series kind of guy...prefer that smoother fender like tone. Mine felt solid as a rock and was actually pretty darn heavy.

3. The Ernie Ball quality is something I've heard a lot about, and also their great customer service. I just would like to know if people have found that the Sub V eats batteries, the wiring can be dodgy, whatever.

I've got so much love for this bass right now that I want to hear it all and make sure it is good for the money.

Cheers

4. appler

appler Guest

I played a rock gig on an EBMM SUB four stringer once. It was too bright for me but it's a solid instrument with a unique sound. For what it's worth, the owner of that particular bass hasn't needed to change the battery yet and he's had it for about eighth months. The wiring also seemed to be without fault. Good luck.

5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i have the SUB4 as well - yes it is bright, but in a band setting, with the right EQing, it becomes an asset :)

If it's still too bright, string it with TI Flats - i have, and i havent turned back since...

6. I own and play an EBMM SR5, and I've always loved it. Bought it used. I've never really or fully understood the "StingRay tone" thing, even though I know they're great for slapping. I just like it in general. But when the Subs first came out (and a few times since), I tried one or two, and I've gotta say, that I like the tone of them even more than mine! I don't know why that is. I've heard it said that, as far as the five-string goes, the pickup in the Sub gets the original (four-string) StingRay tone better than the SR5's pickup. From my experience, I'd have to say that whatever it is, it does it better. But I'm okay with that! Great American built instruments...

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Fairly certain the preamp is the origina EB 2 band preamp used on stingray 4 stringers and I know the pickup on the SUB V is wired parallel (like stingray 4s) giving it a brighter tone.