1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there anything that might be considered inexpensive health insurance?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BboogieXVII, Sep 19, 2016.

1. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Well my wife's company downsized and she is out of a job. It was her company that we were getting the health coverage with. My company's plan is more expensive. Since my company offers a plan I'm not sure if we are forced to use it or is there a possibility of finding something out in the marketplace? (if there is such a thing anymore) I wouldn't know where to begin looking.

Fortunately we have all been relatively healthy and probably will continue to be so in the likely future. However, it's mandated and of course there is always the possibility of an accident or unforseen circumstances. We may wind up going with my company's expensive plan if nothing else pans out.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Speaking out of my ass, I don't think you'll find anything cheaper than what you'll pay to have her on your policy from work.

JMacBass65 and PillO like this.
  3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The state sponsored plans under ACA are subsidized and means tested, so the monthly premium depends on your household income.

For exampke, a working poor household of $20,000 /yr might have a premium as low as $150 /mo. Of course it also depends on the amount of coverage and lower premiums mean higher deductibles and less coverage.
    Just hop on the government website and price out several options.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating or endorsing anything - just providing information. This post is not to be construed in any way as a political statement.

GregC and BboogieXVII like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Good luck. That's all I got.

Dominic DeCosa and BboogieXVII like this.
  5. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    It depends on so many factors, not the least of which is your definition of inexpensive, that you're better off taking the question to your state ins. portal or www.healthcare.gov.

BboogieXVII likes this.
  6. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Catastrophic Health Insurance Plans - High Deductible Medical Plans

Is a catastrophic insurance plan right for me?
    A catastrophic plan may be right for you if:

• You want lower premiums or can't afford more expensive coverage.
    • You are generally healthy and rarely see the doctor.
    • You don’t mind having high out-of-pocket costs.
    • You want to be prepared against high medical bills in a "worst-case scenario."
    • You don’t qualify for Medicaid.
    • You don't qualify for a subsidy based on your income. Or, you do qualify, but don't mind forgoing your right to those savings (remember, you can't get premium tax credits or out-of-pocket subsidies with a catastrophic plan).

GregC, kesslari and BboogieXVII like this.
  7. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    That was true up until the new mandates kicked in.

ACA requires insurers who provide coverage through private means (outside the exchanges) to conform to a medical loss ratio (MLR) of 85/15, which is an increase from the previous standard of 65/35.

The result of this is an unavoidable doubling of monthly premiums for company provided insurance. And since the state sponsored insurance is exempt from the mandate, their premiums will typically be half that of employer provided insurance.

Disclaimer: Again, I'm not advocating or endorsing anything- just providing information. This post is not to be construed as a political statement of any kind.

bassguppy and BboogieXVII like this.
  8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    If your income is low enough, you may qualify for your state's medicaid-affiliated healthcare insurance. Call your state health department.

9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Not attempting to be a downer but a bit less than a year ago I had to enter the cancer treatment program. My insurance is of the "High Deductible" variety as I have been quite healthy most of my life. It didn't pan out for me this year. I am now sitting on over 30k in medical bills after my insurance paid it's part. I've actually had to miss Dr. visits because I cannot afford the co pay ( It's now astronomical ) as well as the lab fees and other charges that will come from more procedures. I'm making choices about my health based on affordability. The current system is appalling. I'm not looking for sympathy, but the current state of medical care in this country is unacceptable. I pay my bills, I pay my taxes and now I am giving up years ( potentially ) of my life for the sake of being able to continue to pay those same bills and taxes and be able to live in a house. It wasn't this way before.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Johnny Crab and TheBear like this.
  10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    300px-BandAid.

11. Wow, I know your story is not unique, but still nobody should be forced into that situation.

Hope things improve.

GregC and D M C like this.
  12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You best bet is your company's coverage.

13. This post ^ makes me sad and angry. One, because Funky Ghost seems like a pretty good guy and two, because some jerk is making a lot of money by saying no to him.

Health insurance for profit is archaic and needs to be put down. There is nothing remotely "OK" with it at all.

Gaolee, DirtDog, knumbskull and 4 others like this.
  14. It wasn't this way before what??

15. Funky Ghost

My insurance coverage. Before, it would have been covered and the only worries would have been of the type you would normally associate with cancer. Putting your kids at ease, telling your gal/wife it's going to be ok and taking it on. Right now I can't give reassurances to anyone. I'm missing visits because I cannot afford them.

It wasn't like this before. My insurance was better than good. Now it is costing me much more than $.

Seemed like a simple question didn't it?

16. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    This^

+1,000,000

Gaolee likes this.
  17. How or why was your plan changed??

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You'll probably find your states health insurance exchange to be reasonable. It was for our household when I lost my job and the health insurance it provided.

-Mike

19. Funky Ghost

I couldn't possibly explain this without dipping my toes into the political pool.

I get the feeling this is being asked with mindful intent to get to the "juicy bits'. I choose not to engage.

Luke19Boarder, Johnny Crab and GregC like this.

20. I'll try.

Because sometime in the mid to late '80s, things were changed that allowed health insurance companies to change their focus. There was also a time when insurance companies weren't allowed to run hospitals or own clinics they paid out to, but those rules were also lifted and soon, profit became the driving motivator for insurance companies.

Yes, the main goal of business is to grow the profit margin, which is why health insurance should be more regulated than the company that sells Shamwows, but they aren't.

The majority of the ACA was penned by lobbyists for the healthcare "industry" because it wouldn't pass in its original form which would've left a public option in. Nothing scares insurance companies more than the utterance of that phrase because, even though they wouldn't necessarily be out of business, they wouldn't be able to pay CEOs millions.

I remember when it wasnt uncommon for a job to include insurance at no cost, maybe an upcharge for family (mine was $10 a month per kid), no copay, etc. Those days are long gone.

Marikk, Gaolee, Luke19Boarder and 3 others like this.