1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there anything to learn from a guitarist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cmgkhn, Nov 11, 2018.

1. cmgkhn

cmgkhn

Oct 12, 2018
    Europe
    Hi all!

(Don't mind my catchy title and read along please :D)

I would like to say before anything that I am here to learn.

I have a friend who came up with a deal for me. He wants me to be his personal gym coach and get him to a good shape (that is not my official job but I'm a gym rat and I have been coaching some people with good results). I would help him with nothing in return but he said he would teach me how to be a good bass player.

I am a beginner bass player trying to learn it on my own using books and videos for the last 2 months (There is no one to teach bass in my area for sure). I have fooled with a guitar 5-6 years ago for a couple of weeks and ditched it.

He is mostly rhytm guitar/vocals, sometimes the lead guitar. He has been playing in bands and gigs for a long time so I trust his playing experience. I am not sure if he has ever played bass or been a teacher though.

My question is how can I get the most out of this deal? Of course there are lots of things to learn from other musicians but what would be the specific things to be learned from him?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

(Edited to clarify my level)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    It depends on what you already know. Scales and chord structure are important to know as a bass player.

cmgkhn and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. It will be worth as least as much as you paid for it.

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

If the guitarist is a relatively humble person, and you don't know that much about chord chemistry and how song progressions are put together, you might be able to gain some knowledge if the guitarist has it.

basscapes and cmgkhn like this.
  5. Not to be a guitarist.

Sixgunn and kobass like this.
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Buy a cheap guitar and have him teach you chords.

DirtDog, cmgkhn and BobDeRosa like this.
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think if you have no experience as a bass player, he can surely teach you - but if he has never played bass much himself, all he can teach you, apart from theory, is his impression of what's important about bass playing from the standpoint of a guitarist. In other words, what he thinks a "good bassist" should be like. That's an important caveat and may not be the worst thing, but you don't have much to lose, I think. Just keep in mind that it's from someone "outside looking in".

8. As long as he does not teach you to play bass like it is a guitar just played with single strings then...

saabfender likes this.
  9. You can learn a lot more from a pianist, esp. chords and harmony

MrLenny1, DavC, Amano and 1 other person like this.
  10. cmgkhn

cmgkhn

Oct 12, 2018
    Europe
    I think I can learn even more from a bassist than a pianist but the deal is not that :)

11. Some guitarists can have:
    - taste
    - tone
    - time
    - feel

I would listen to that.

BurtMacklinFBI and Squittolo like this.
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    He may be able to teach you something useful ...

pellomoco14 likes this.
  13. tshapiro

tshapiro Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    To me, music theory is music theory regardless of the instrument. I’ve played both bass and guitar professionally for 30 years (Keyboards for 10 years). If your friend is a pro, he probably has endless concepts he can offer you.

jamro217, cmgkhn, dBChad and 2 others like this.
  14. I'd want to know the kinds of bands he was in with good players, so I'd know I'm getting the real thing. On the other hand, if he's a crappy player in one crummy band after another, that would be another story . . . .

It's often overlooked until you begin to play with guys that have really been around, the other parts of being in a band, the 'Book of Musician Stuff' that has to do with how you carry your stuff, how you act on a show, being on time, keeping your gear always ready with spares, all the OTHER stuff that has nothing to do with the actual playing your instrument that guys need to know.

15. I’d do one trial lesson to see what he knows. Report back here and let us know how it went.

16. cmgkhn

cmgkhn

Oct 12, 2018
    Europe
    Sure I will :)

Groove Doctor likes this.
  17. cmgkhn

cmgkhn

Oct 12, 2018
    Europe
    :rollno:

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Fair enough...I now re read the post...

cmgkhn likes this.
  19. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    If he can control his guitar normaly, then yes - you could learn, maybe you allready know, the notes played on different chords, because as i know, bassists sometimes want to know the full note spectr in the chord played by guitar. Do not learn from him how to play solo - there is nothing he can teach you, that is on your own.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    One thing to learn from anyone is what they need from a bassist, I think.
    That seems to be one of the harder things to understand for many.
    Rather than going for a deal like this, I think you'd get further , finding experienced people to play with, whose material is challenging enough(joining a backing band of sorts might be a sensible step).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    dBChad likes this.